• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Freezing Brisket

rnmedic45

Reaction score
I am wondering if brisket is able to be frozen and smoked later. I am having a difficult time getting it the same week I want to smoke. I am doing 2 this weekend but can't count on availibility locally.I thought I read that this shouldn't be done

I cook mostly brisket flats, which I buy by the case. I put them in the freezer in the original cryovac without any problems other than once there was a hole in the cryovac and that brisket suffered from freezer burn. You will need to defrost them for 3 to 4 days in the refridgerator so plan ahead.

Freezing brisket is not a problem so long as you don't freeze it for too long. I'm sure freezer burned brisket would score poorly! We compete with both fresh brisket as well as those we have had to freeze and we've not noticed any problem.

I buy a case once in a while and freeze them. The result is fine,but not as good as fresh. Freezing will cause the meat juices to expand and rupture some of the cells in the meat and that will release the juices in those cells, so the brisket is a little drier when cooked. It's not significant, but it can be noticeable.

I buy a couple at a time and freeze one for later in the cryovac bag and no problem. 2 1/ 2 hours to a store that sells packers from here so not to many other options.

Cooked one this past weekend that had been frozen for a month. Tasted better than the last fresh one I cooked.

Saw an episode of Pitmasters where a frozen brisket won first place.

I freeze briskets frequently when I can get them on sale. No problem. Biggest issue is how long it takes a 16lb brisket to thaw out in the fridge....

Back