MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Discussion Thread -> "Vietnamese" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Our new TD category is...

"Vietnamese
!"

As chosen by Der Husker for winning the "Spirited Cooking!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker
I live in an area with lots of Vietnamese restaurants so in honor of Forest Gump how about "Viet Nam - It's a whole other country" Throwdown. Anything that has its origin from Viet Nam. Standard TD rules apply and no special rules.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/25 through Sunday 5/4.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 5/5

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 05-05-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Rất yên tĩnh ở đây

Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

This should be interesting.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
buzz53
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
This should be interesting.
+1 going to have dig deep.
buzz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Ooooo, yum, some of my favorites!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Ooooo, yum, some of my favorites!
I hope you'll enter this one, Gore. It's been way too long...
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I almost made it to Spirited, but it ended too soon. I had this really neat idea of making a hollow fattie and filling it with an alcoholic beverage, but I didn't see how I could make it work. I think I'm out of town most of the next three weeks, so if you can extend this one to the end of May, we should be good!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
buccaneer

chúng ta có thể sử dụng woks, châu chấu lớn?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #9
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
chúng ta có thể sử dụng woks, châu chấu lớn?
Và nấu mèo không?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Incoming!
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
deguerre

Run Forrest! Run!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Moose

Ahem. Just a gentle reminder:

Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
deguerre

I Know. I saw nine posts, no entries, vietnamese script and thought I had clicked into the delinquent thread instead. Sorry Moose.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Default Official TD Entry: Pork Noodle Bowl

For five years I worked in a building that had a great Vietnamese restaurant in the basement. During the winter my co-workers and I would eat Pho there at least once a week if not more often. During the summer we enjoyed these great noodle bowls that they made. I unexpectedly had the afternoon off yesterday and the weather was perfect outside, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try and replicate one of those noodle bowls.

I started with a two pound pork loin

That I cut into about 1/4 inch slices

I then created a marinade using Braggs amino, fish sauce, hoisin, mirin, garlic, ginger, scallion, cilantro and serrano pepper.

Took the stick blender to it and then put it and the pork into a ziploc so they could get to know each other a little better.

While the pork was marinating I took the pup down to the lake for her first "off-leash" trip (kept her on a drag line) to the park. (Yeah I'm using the cute dog crutch, I've got it now so I'm going to use it.)

At this point she's more confused by the lake then anything and more interested in her squeaky shoe than swimming.

When I got home I took a mandolin to some carrot, cucumber and radish

Then salted them and put them in strainer with a weight on top to draw out moisture and improve their texture.

After the pork had marinated for about 3 hours I built a screaming hot fire in the OTS and grilled the pork for about a minute per side. No pics of them cooking cause it was happening too quickly for my to fark around with the camera.

Once the got nice grill marks and a touch of char I pulled them off to rest

Took my favorite instrument of kitchen destruction to it

And ended up with a pile of chopped pork goodness

To plate it up I put down a bed of rice noodles, then some veg, a pile of pork and some chopped peanuts, then drizzled it with a dressing I made of olive oil, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic and scallion.
Entry Pic

This didn't last long

the final bite of these is always the best with a perfect mixture of all the ingredients.

These were a great replica of the dish that inspired them. A wonderful mix of textures and balance of salty, sweet and spicy flavors.

Thanks for looking.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
peeps

Helluva opening entry! Nice work!!!!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote