MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need Illinois Teams

Need names and contacts of teams from Illinois that would be interested in joining the Illinois BBQ Association. If you know of any teams that would be interested let them know or let me know.
Anyone thats interested, judges, backyard cooks, or if just have a passion for BBQ. We need members and teams.
You can email [email protected] or list here, pm me or call me. H - 217-323-2448 C - 217-971-0587.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I read your post on the other thread about making this about Illinois teams and members.
Quote:
I would also like it to be just Illinois not tied to GLBBQA. I think it should be about teams and members from Illinois
Do you plan on only allowing members that live in Illinois? I personally enjoy competing in Illinois and would join if I agreed on the associations mission and goals.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Open to all and hold elections so it doesn't turn into someone's toy... like it was...

That is my recommendation. Why limit it?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Svenmac
Knows what a fatty is.

I doubt I would ever make the 6 hour drive to Chicago area for a contest I do plan on competing at Southern Illinois contests (Walbash Ribberfest, Randolph County, Metropolis, etc...)

As Scottie said it needs to be a real society that is for the betterment of the sport and not a hobby or toy for a few to collect dues.
Svenmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

As an Iowa cook and CBJ I would love to join the Illinois BBQ Society. As the VP of the Iowa BBQ Society I know we have members from all over and openly welcome anyone that is interested in bbq to join.
One tip from Iowa, be sure your organization has a community based mission. In Iowa we love bbq, but our Senior Q, Ribs for Kids, Christmas Tree Giveaway, and other service items make our society and the membership what it is.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

What are the benefits of membership?

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Scottie, in no way shape or form is this going to be my hobby or toy. Im only plan on getting it up and running. I was thinking we should have a winter banquet with TOY awards and elect officers at that time.

Rich, I'm in the process of checking out how individual states run there associations/society. Originally I was thinking the TOY awards should be teams from Illinois. But let me find out how things are done elsewhere.

I'm sure not everything is going to be right the first time around. Adjustments will have to be made. And I'm sure not everyone will be happy all the time.
Here is a little information about me.
Ralph Weller
Beardstown, Il.
I work for the State Of Illinois in the IT (Mainframe computers)field.
Im currently the Vice president of our Rural Water Coop. I have also served as Ex. Vice Pres and chairman of the board with a National organization with over 1500 members. So I know not everything runs smooth all the time. Like I said I just want to get it going and hopefully have some fun along the way.

If anyone has any question please don't hesitate to ask. I will try to answer as best I can.

Thanks
Ralph

Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Of course not you Ralph. I applaud you for stepping up and wanting to get it going. It was stuck in the mud with the past leadership. As for ToY, I see both sides. Only recognizing in state folks, like how I Iowa does or open to all members like Michigan does. I guess if you are a dues paying member you should be able to be ToY.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I guess if you are a dues paying member you should be able to be ToY.
I know I would be turned off if I paid dues and couldn't compete for that teams ToY

Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
What are the benefits of membership?
Dan, I asked that same question to my self. Basically the people that will get the most out of it will be the TEAMS. They will be competing for TOY awards. Individuals will get the enjoyment of being part of the orginization. Kind of like KCBS judges now. They do it because they enjoy meeting the teams and being a part of it.
Hopefully in the future we will be able to do some charitable work. I think that might be a couple of years down the road though. After we get a solid foundation. JMO

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetracks View Post
I know I would be turned off if I paid dues and couldn't compete for that teams ToY
I have done some checking with a couple of other state organizations and some do allow members from other states to compete for TOY awards. I would like for others from instate to comment on this and get there feelings. It really doesn't matter to me. Right now I don't compete anyway. I'm strictly a judge at this point but at some time I would like to compete.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

I have another question for all of you guys that interested in this. How would you feel about a backyard division totaly seperate of the KCBS (PRO) division?
Should something like this be looked at or should it just be strictly PRO to start off with? I think it would be good but a heck of a lot more work, especially when were just trying to get started.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweller View Post
I have another question for all of you guys that interested in this. How would you feel about a backyard division totaly seperate of the KCBS (PRO) division?
Should something like this be looked at or should it just be strictly PRO to start off with? I think it would be good but a heck of a lot more work, especially when were just trying to get started.
Ralph,
one suggestion for just starting out, take baby steps, one thing at at time. Once things get up and going, you can always expand.

The question, what do I get, always comes up. One important thing that is not really visible is the liaison between a bbq assn and the event coordinators who put on the BBQ comps. Having a good relationship with them, giving recommendations and ideas to make the contests bigger and better and really important, successful for those putting them on benefits us all. Helping them create a solid base to grow on is really key.
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweller View Post
Like Scott said don't get yourself too overwhelmed but a couple ideas of getting others involved in to the association outside of a ToY program.
  • The association can host Friday night potluck dinners at the competition where non members have to pay a small fee.
  • Have some of the cooks volunteer a little bit of time to teach a backyard bbq class where members pay one price and non members pay the cost plus a membership fee.

I currently administer the GLBBQA ToY program so if you need any assistance with tracking the teams I can get you setup with something to help you.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Scott and Rich. I would have to agree about the Backyard contest. I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want anyone feeling left out because they don't compete in KCBS comps.

I really appreciate all the help this making me feel a little more comfortable with taking this task on.