MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Default Best BBQ in Houston?

I'm visiting my folks (who've gone vegan ) for Christmas in the Houston area, and I need some help finding some good smoked meat. They, obviously, can't make any recommendations. They're located in the Woodlands/Conroe part of the area. Any suggestions (besides the obvious - a Brother's back yard)?

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
paperboy98
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
I'm visiting my folks (who've gone vegan ) for Christmas in the Houston area, and I need some help finding some good smoked meat. They, obviously, can't make any recommendations. They're located in the Woodlands/Conroe part of the area. Any suggestions (besides the obvious - a Brother's back yard)?
I posted the same question a few months ago and the most frequent answer was Goode and Company, with a few locations in Houston. I went twice and regretted each visit. For me, it was a typical restaurant BBQ.

I kept driving by a place called Bakers Ribs on Voss and finally stopped in. I was delighted at the quality, texture and taste of the ribs. On another visit I had the pulled pork and have ordered it on repeat visits. They also have a variety of tasty side dishes as well.

Everybody has different expectations and definitions of what tastes good, but for me, Bakers Ribs is the only place I go when in Houston. Others have recommended Pappas Brothers BBQ, but I have not tried it.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Randy Smith
paperboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
paperboy98
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy98 View Post
I posted the same question a few months ago and the most frequent answer was Goode and Company, with a few locations in Houston. I went twice and regretted each visit. For me, it was a typical restaurant BBQ.

I kept driving by a place called Bakers Ribs on Voss and finally stopped in. I was delighted at the quality, texture and taste of the ribs. On another visit I had the pulled pork and have ordered it on repeat visits. They also have a variety of tasty side dishes as well.

Everybody has different expectations and definitions of what tastes good, but for me, Bakers Ribs is the only place I go when in Houston. Others have recommended Pappas Brothers BBQ, but I have not tried it.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Randy Smith
If you try Bakers, PM me to report your experience.
Paperboy98
paperboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There's a place on 610 north eastbound. I think its east of the TC Jester exit, next to the Home Depot. Called Steve's, I think. Best BBQ Stuffed taters, evr. Stay away from Pappas BBQ.

You could go north to Huntsville. New Zion Baptist Church BBQ.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not sure how far away, but try Burn's BBQ. It near Klose's shop.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't usually recommend chains, but I do like Rudy's. This one will be up in your area - http://www.rudys.com/SearchResults.a...37&distance=30 .
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

I would go to Burns BBQ
8307 De Priest Street
Houston, TX 77088-6215
(281) 445-7574

But you also could go to Rudy's BBQ they have a location very close to you at 2920 & 45 north
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Cooter
Knows what a fatty is.

Since I live on the other side of town, I never been here, but I hear good things about New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbeque, 2601 Montgomery Rd, Huntsville, TX 77343, (936) 295-8856. Maybe another brother could confirm.

It's up the road a piece, in Huntsville. But Huntsville is probably closer than many of the places in Houston. Since it's run by a church I'd call to make sure they are open before I went.

It's sad that there aren't very many great bbq joints in Houston, lots of mediocre and a few bad ones but few great joints.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaway View Post
I would go to Burns BBQ
8307 De Priest Street
Houston, TX 77088-6215
(281) 445-7574

But you also could go to Rudy's BBQ they have a location very close to you at 2920 & 45 north
Anything good near you in Tomball? I'm always suspicious of chains.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=Cooter;1122992]Since I live on the other side of town, I never been here, but I hear good things about New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbeque, 2601 Montgomery Rd, Huntsville, TX 77343, (936) 295-8856. Maybe another brother could confirm.
QUOTE]

Never been but Donny posted this video before. It was voted best BBQ in the world, LOL. I plan on going there when I visit my cuzin in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGRdZGGIeg&feature=fvw

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I officially post my link to some of the best que in the area.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoodVitt.../4/mfgvnPHBOXw

Click to check it out.

East on EXIT 114 on 45. About a MILE. Closed Monday and Tuesday - maybe even longer. Go early, this is not a place to arrive late at.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

[QUOTE=jeffjenkins1;1126842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
Since I live on the other side of town, I never been here, but I hear good things about New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbeque, 2601 Montgomery Rd, Huntsville, TX 77343, (936) 295-8856. Maybe another brother could confirm.
QUOTE]

Never been but Donny posted this video before. It was voted best BBQ in the world, LOL. I plan on going there when I visit my cuzin in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGRdZGGIeg&feature=fvw

Jeff
I believe that they have changed their name to "Church Barbecue" and am not sure what that means. Anyone closeby who knows?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=HeSmellsLikeSmoke;1127207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 View Post

I believe that they have changed their name to "Church Barbecue" and am not sure what that means. Anyone closeby who knows?
I got that personally as well. "We are unaffiliated with the Zion Church."

I head a Charity at my church as well. I have seen some rules that are kinda weird lately in regards to non-profits and also the heath department since I began ramping up the BBQ events.

Health Department -

For instance we do a Church BBQ every Third Sunday of some kind and I do a lot of advertising. The Church also cooks a luncheon every Wednesday for the town's rotary. I participate at times as well.

Now normally they used to leave us alone. I follow all the rules of course.

However, one day, DURING A FUNERAL in which the ladies of the Nurturing committee always prepare a little reception in the Life Center, these ladies all collected the various dishes and stuff IN the HD approved Kitchen to keep them warm before serving. Its a covered dish affair. the Inspector came in and gave THEM an ultimatum - either throw away all the dishes immediately not kept at proper temperature or be written up for those infractions. In addition, the HD wanted all the volunteers to wear hair nets. This threw a HUGE wrench in the whole "old lady kitchen help" thing I had going on.

There was one caveat by the HD when I tlaked to them. If all dishes were collected in the Fellowship Hall and distributed THERE instead of in the kitchen we would be all good. The flaw in the logic was, we had no way in the fellowship hall to keep things warm and as a result you could gaurantee someone's dish would be served at the wrong temp. The HD official said "that would not be our problem, what happens in the official kitchen is."

So as a result, I nearly had MY entire project nixed (in which I followed the rules) due to concerned raised by a group that doesn'ty follow the rules. SECOND - our church will also hold functions for other in which an outside Caterer may be hired by the person renting our facilities. That puts us in a bind as well - I walked in and saw something out of line once and had a chit fit - THE caterer tried to insist they would take the brunt of the HD if anything happened but it does not work that way.

Taxes - I don't actually even want to get into this other than to say - at some point, in rasing funds for a building fund for my church, i could not GIVE AWAY a BRISKET that was cooked for that purpose to a family in our church who had a death. Tax reason were cited.

So, with all this under consideration, hopefully you can see why in a CHURCH thing, they may want to be "unaffilated."

For instance, that actual payment for the labor. At some point someone is making a profit... a big no no. Of say your leader is taking NO salary for his services but you need to "Hire" a temp staff to serve. Remember, CHURCH BBQ is open like 5 days a week. Volunteeering gets old after a while. You cannot hide under the Church Umbrella and do this - PLUS under the table stuff is highhly scrutinized these days due to abuses.

So--the BBQ people still want to donate to the church, which is entirely up to them. By establishing another SEPARATE charity - unaffilaated - they can do what they want - say - pay the person that runs it AND donate to the church or to a baseball team or whatever.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
Not sure how far away, but try Burn's BBQ. It near Klose's shop.
Is that the one Dave Klose takes everyone to? Looks like a house?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Is that the one Dave Klose takes everyone to? Looks like a house?
Yes it is and yes it is an old house converted to BBQ joint

Sorry Chenernator just seen your reply not any I would recommend
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote