Fall Camp Cookin (and some needed father/son fun) <<<<LOTS OF PHOTOS>>>>

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, this is the 3rd year that a group of friends of mine have taken our sons out to share in some awesome bonding in an outdoor experience.

I'm a Cubmaster for our local Cub Scout Pack, but there are several things that are against the official BSA rules for Cub Scouting, such as firearms, ATV's, leaving boys unattended, etc. SO, a group of Dads that are avid outdoorsmen gather and do things our way, without the Cub Scout banner.

There was 6 Dads and 9 kids (8 sons and 1 daughter) total. The largest group yet. We've grown by about 1 dad and 1 son each year. My oldest son will get to go next year, but this year it was just my oldest 2 boys and I.

One of the guys owns about 85 acres, so we go out there and teach our boys about firearm safety, responsible use and care for both handguns and rifles, several of us brought our archery equipment and had a seperate archery practice range, ride ATV's, etc.

It's a fantastic experience and one of the things that we always pitch in on is the FOOD!

This year, I was nominated and accepted the duty of official camp cook (which I really don't mind at all). The groceries were provided as an assigned "pitch-in" ahead of time so we all share the expense. There's no propane at this camp. All the cooking is done over either the fire or charcoal.

Saturday night dinner was "hobo dinners" with ground beef, frozen veggies (peas, green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, onion, carrots) and seasoned with SM Season All and wrapped up in foil packs, and placed on hot charcoal. I brought my OTS for the "kitchen". One of the Dad's brought an extra bag of charcoal and some lighter fluid. He said he didn't know if I'd need it or not. I actually DID find a great use for it......
IMG_3644.jpg

......the ground was a little unlevel you see.....:heh:

Anyway......no photos of the "hobo dinners" (sorry:roll:) but they went over big as usual.

Yesterday morning, breakfast was as it has been for the past 3 years.....dutch oven goodness! Charcoal was lit and loaded in the OTS. 2 lbs of sausage was cooked:
IMG_3645.jpg

Then it was removed, a bit more butter was melted and then a couple of pounds of hash browns was browned up:
IMG_3646.jpg

Then 3 dozen eggs was whipped with a bit of milk and added to the hash browns:
IMG_3647.jpg

After the eggs were just about cooked through, the sausage was added back in and mixed in.....
IMG_3648.jpg

.......and topped with cheddar cheese:
IMG_3649.jpg

After the cheese melted a bit, it was all stirred and served up. After the first round:
IMG_3650.jpg

Then.....GONE!
IMG_3651.jpg

Here's a few shots of the camp yesterday morning just after sunrise (several tents are out of view in this photo---there were 6 tents total):
IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

Gettin ready to shoot some bows (my 9yo son, Kempis on the left)....
IMG_3642.jpg

Every year, we plan some sort of adventure/hike/scavenger hunt. We let the kids go out, unattended, armed with only compasses, maps of the property and after brief instructions that they are not to cross any creeks or fences, are released "into the wild" as a group and learn to navigate a route in the woods and return to us back at camp. This year, one of the Dads went bow hunting in the early AM and so after breakfast, we told the kids in what general direction he was in. The mission was to find him. Keep in mind, he was in a tree stand, fully camoflauged. When the kids got close, he started in with his buck call so they could zero in on him easier. They did find him. The total excercise took about 1.5 hours.

After breakfast, Mike explained the "scavenger hunt" to the kids:
IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

And yesterday's shooting after some of the people had to leave......

Walking the boys through the "RANGE RULES" one more time:
IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

My two oldest sons (Kempis on the left and Guerin on the right):
IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

Now THAT looks like a good time! Very cool:thumb:

Great outing Wampus... One I'm sure you, your son and everyone else involved will remember for many years to come! :becky:

reminds me of days with the Boy Scouts. This is great for the kids and great for the old gray haired kids as well.

But...but...but...

You let your kids shoot an Evil Black Rifle? What kind of dad are you? :becky:

Nice outing Wampus! I bet every one of those kids will remember that weekend with their dads.

Well played!

But...but...but...

You let your kids shoot an Evil Black Rifle? What kind of dad are you? :becky:

Nice outing Wampus! I bet every one of those kids will remember that weekend with their dads.

Well played!

Yeah....I took this particular photo expecially for Mom's and their Grandmas' benefit! :laugh:
IMG_3655.jpg

FYI:, yes, it's an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, but that one (at that time) was set up for 0.22's. On Saturday afternoon's shoot, we had it set up for 0.223 rounds, which pack quite a bit bigger punch. It was definitely the crowd favorite. Personally, I liked the 9mm handgun that Mike had.:thumb:

Looks like a great time that you will all remember, and breakfast looked great.:clap2:

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun with the youngsters, and nothing like camping and shooting for quality time among men. The shooting is icing on the cake, and tis a shame that the scouts don't allow it or atvs. Lawyers and insurance companies are party poopers. Funny though, (or not so funny), years ago my wife and I noticed a bunch of uniformed Cub Scouts with their two leaders walk in to the very same cinema we were sitting in to view "The Titanic". Guess the scouting powers that be didn't have a problem with that, although I thought the rating of the movie clearly deemed it inappropriate for boys, due to the morbid and sexual scenes. Anyhow, while I'm at it, I might as well say that it seems like school, soccer, and society in general would often rather boys end up as sissies, so God knows we've got to teach 'em about what it's like to be men every chance we get. Best thing to do is to simply spend quality time with them, so way to go man, and glad y'all had a good time. My son's at Fort Benning training to be a soldier, and I wish I could go back and have more quality time with him. Reminds me, I need to get another letter out in tomorrow's mail.

Now that's a great weekend right there! Thanks for posting! Love the pix :clap2:

That's one very clean DO, btw - breakfast must have tasted as good as it looked!

That looks like you guys had a great time. I feel like I want to go sleep in the woods tonight, the weather is perfect for it here. If we only would've had some SM Season All for our Hobo Dinners back when I was in scouts, it would've been a much more flavorful meal! When we went away to summer boy scout camp at Hawk Mountain they did have a range where we could shoot .22's. I guess that was a long time ago and the rules have changed a bit. It's a shame, that was my favorite part of camp. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun with the youngsters, and nothing like camping and shooting for quality time among men. The shooting is icing on the cake, and tis a shame that the scouts don't allow it or atvs. Lawyers and insurance companies are party poopers. Funny though, (or not so funny), years ago my wife and I noticed a bunch of uniformed Cub Scouts with their two leaders walk in to the very same cinema we were sitting in to view "The Titanic". Guess the scouting powers that be didn't have a problem with that, although I thought the rating of the movie clearly deemed it inappropriate for boys, due to the morbid and sexual scenes. Anyhow, while I'm at it, I might as well say that it seems like school, soccer, and society in general would often rather boys end up as sissies, so God knows we've got to teach 'em about what it's like to be men every chance we get. Best thing to do is to simply spend quality time with them, so way to go man, and glad y'all had a good time. My son's at Fort Benning training to be a soldier, and I wish I could go back and have more quality time with him. Reminds me, I need to get another letter out in tomorrow's mail.

It's funny you mention society and sports making sissies. I couldn't agree more. Nowadays, there's actually football leagues out there that don't have team captains because it's not fair that EVERYONE can't be captain, so noone is. In fact, last year the football "All Star" team was (as it should be, IMO) basically the kids with the most talent. Well, a lot of parents were p!ssed because their son didn't get to be an "All Star". So this year they just did it by some kind of lottery system to make it fair. WTF???? I mean, if anyone can be called an All Star, doesn't that mean that NOONE is an All Star?

Anyway......thanks for the thought. Yeah, I want to let my kids experience things that I didn't. I want them to learn that they have a RIGHT to own a firearm if they so choose. Oh, yes......I am also teaching them about the US Constitution!!!!:shock:

And when my daughter's old enough......she'll go to!:thumb:

Wow. Excellent Kempis! What an experience. It'll be even better when all three of your boys can go. Probably too expensive but I bet getting the boys a muzzleloader kit and letting them make their own rifle under supervision would be fun. A good way to teach patience and being careful with your aim too I imagine... counting the time for each re-load.:becky:
Shame about the scouts. We got to fire .22 bolt actions at scout camps under supervision and on a dedicated range when I was a kid.

Looks like fun, I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to start doing some stuff like this.

Such a simple breakfast but always amazing when camping. Looks like you guys had fun. Very jealous!

Adopt me....please!?

Great shots Wampus,I really enjoyed it!:thumb:

Back