MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Default How good is your BBQ sauce?

I just received an email this morning from www.bbqsaucereviews.com announcing "The Saucekers", a BBQ Sauce Competition.

The sauce submission date just opened today, January 24, 2014, and will run through August 4, 2014. I would love to see some Brethren winning, as a number of them have commercially packaged sauces already.

http://saucekers.com/

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
IndoorOutdoorCook
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh hey! This is in Boston. I'm going to sign up to judge.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

A few years ago, I spent a winter experimenting w/ making my own sauce. When it was all said and done, I have about 7 quarts of bland, boring, indistinguishable BBQ sauce that eventually made it's way down the kitchen sink. Never again!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

Not near as good as Sweet Baby's
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
fuzzbottom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Brian and Jay know what they are doing on sauce. I know, I am a collector and at this point I am up over 800 different from around the country. I have been following them on BBQ Sauce reviews for quite a few years - don't always agree - but whatever.
fuzzbottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

People will drink my sauce if I leave it unguarded

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
PrinceofQ
On the road to being a farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbottom View Post
Brian and Jay know what they are doing on sauce. I know, I am a collector and at this point I am up over 800 different from around the country. I have been following them on BBQ Sauce reviews for quite a few years - don't always agree - but whatever.
Thanks! We appreciate it! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
I just received an email this morning from www.bbqsaucereviews.com announcing "The Saucekers", a BBQ Sauce Competition.

The sauce submission date just opened today, January 24, 2014, and will run through August 4, 2014. I would love to see some Brethren winning, as a number of them have commercially packaged sauces already.

http://saucekers.com/

DUBBAGA,

Thanks so much for the post on our upcoming Sauce Competition, The Saucekers! We really appreciate it!

Brian Henderson has been working hard on this for a while now, so we are really excited about it. This Sauce Competition will be a great way for all those wanting to get their BBQ Sauce out there and noticed by a lot of people.

Also if you're a big fan of the Thermapen like I am (Own 5 of them lol), make sure to check out the Thermapen and Sauce Giveaway we have going on for the next week on our Facebook Page.

Thanks again! :)
Jay Prince

Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

I might send a sample of my fruity, spicy, smoky, tomato with some heat based sauce.Most of my fruit from my trees and plants will be ripe by late July and timing maybe right.As far as marketing it would be way too expensive to produce my sauce but maybe interesting to see what the judges would think.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post
Thanks so much for the post on our upcoming Sauce Competition, The Saucekers! We really appreciate it!

Brian Henderson has been working hard on this for a while now, so we are really excited about it. This Sauce Competition will be a great way for all those wanting to get their BBQ Sauce out there and noticed by a lot of people.

Also if you're a big fan of the Thermapen like I am (Own 5 of them lol), make sure to check out the Thermapen and Sauce Giveaway we have going on for the next week on our Facebook Page.

Thanks again! :)
Jay Prince
No worries Jay, I had no idea that you were a part of bbqsaucereviews.com. I only wish that there was a non-commercial category for most of us to enter.

I am a Thermapen fan, but not a Facebook fan, so no Giveaway participation for me

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
No worries Jay, I had no idea that you were a part of bbqsaucereviews.com. I only wish that there was a non-commercial category for most of us to enter.

I am a Thermapen fan, but not a Facebook fan, so no Giveaway participation for me

From what I remember reading, most of the big BBQ Sauce Competitions such as the National BBQ Association Awards of Excellence, Gettin Sauced, American Royal BBQ Event, National BBQ Festival, and the Scovie Awards, all require that the sauces be commercially available to the public.

The Saucekers BBQ Sauce Competition will be a great way for small batch sauce makers to get their product out there and noticed by a lot of people. :)

Thanks again DUBBAGA for sharing this info!

~Jay Prince

Last edited by PrinceofQ; 01-25-2014 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake :)
PrinceofQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
People will drink my sauce if I leave it unguarded
Type?
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Picketwire BBQ

30th at world food championships

Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=infernooo

But then I see you're the last poster, so you've seen it...

My experience has been this: Sauce that usually wins sauce contests doesn't actually compliment BBQ very well. I've published how we came into our competition sauce many times here, but the short version is that we made a TON of sauces and a TON of our BBQ and with 12 people we judged them all. For fun we took bets at the start as to which would work best. We ALL lost those bets. We bet on great tasting sauces. 100% of them conflicted with the BBQ or overpowered it severely, or both.

That's all aside from the sauce contest. Do it, have fun, kick butt, win it! But be careful using it on your BBQ...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think I'll repack a Bottle of SBR with a Drop of Honey & a Pinch of salt and pack it off.