Mojo Cherry Bricks Review w/pron

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When I first joined this site a couple of months ago I was searching the different areas of the forum and I stumbled across a thread offering Mojo cherry bricks to try for free ~ and in return I was asked to write a review. So a couple of weeks go by and I had totally forgot about it when I recieved a blank box with two bricks in it....I honestly didn't know what they were. I called the number on the box and left a message asking what they were and why I recieved the package. I got a PM here from 'smokenit' (I think) who reminded me.
Doh! :doh:

I recently built a UDS and thought I'd give it a try. Loaded the brick in the middle of the charcoal and fired it up. In all fairness, I am new to cooking with my UDS, so I may not have gotten the best results. The temps have been all over the place and my subsequent cooks have been challenging and have not produced the flavors I've been hoping for. So YMMV.... I will use the other brick on my stick burner for a better comparison.

I did spare ribs. My temps ranged from 250-300. Cooked for five hours. Rubbed and placed bone side down. Turned twice. Lightly sauced. I burned up about 90% of the brick. Overall, I was disappointed with the lack of smokey flavor. No smoke ring either. But I have had the same results on my UDS using wood chunks, so it may be me more than the bricks.

My teen age daughters devoured them and thought they were great! That speak volumes because these girls would rather eat a salad than pig. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 315
  • loaded.jpg
    loaded.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 312
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 312
  • sliced.jpg
    sliced.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 312
Do you know that if you're around the pit a lot while you're smoking it inhibits your ability to taste the smoke in your meat. I've had this problem. Showering and changing your clothes before eating helps.

^^^That is an excellent point. My ability to detect smoke flavor is pretty much erased after a day of cooking. I usually can only taste it when re-heating leftovers.

I burn Mojobricks Cherry in my stickburner. No problem with the smoke ring for me.

brisket.jpg

Do you know that if you're around the pit a lot while you're smoking it inhibits your ability to taste the smoke in your meat. I've had this problem. Showering and changing your clothes before eating helps.
I don't think that is the problem here. I'm used to smoking at a much lower temp than I have been with and the UDS. I'm gonna try again with the other brick on my stick burner and see how it turns out. I'll be sure to post up.

doesn't smoke ring only form up to 140* meat temp? i've recently gotten a kamado, and haven't been getting the smoke ring i'm accustomed to with my stick burner. doing some research on the BGE forum has led me to believe that perhaps the meat comes up to temp a bit faster/differently, and that using a colder piece of meat will help get the best smoke ring results.

now, i haven't tried anything i've posted, so i don't know, and i'm no expert, but next cook i do will be meat directly out of the fridge, and maybe cook at a lower temp early on.

How do you place the brick(s)?

I've got an insulated stickburner, so my wood consumption is fairly low to maintain 265. I burn a couple cherry bricks and they last about 1.25-1.5 hours, then there are hot coals left that I set the next bricks on top of. I initially start my fire with lump and wood splits until the pit is up to temp, then burn the mojobricks. If you require a fairly large fire to keep the temp up, then you will probably burn through them quicker than I do. I normally set them with the thinner long side down, with 1/2 of the brick in the hot coals to ignite them.

When I first joined this site a couple of months ago I was searching the different areas of the forum and I stumbled across a thread offering Mojo cherry bricks to try for free ~ and in return I was asked to write a review. So a couple of weeks go by and I had totally forgot about it when I recieved a blank box with two bricks in it....I honestly didn't know what they were. I called the number on the box and left a message asking what they were and why I recieved the package. I got a PM here from 'smokenit' (I think) who reminded me.
Doh! :doh:

I recently built a UDS and thought I'd give it a try. Loaded the brick in the middle of the charcoal and fired it up. In all fairness, I am new to cooking with my UDS, so I may not have gotten the best results. The temps have been all over the place and my subsequent cooks have been challenging and have not produced the flavors I've been hoping for. So YMMV.... I will use the other brick on my stick burner for a better comparison.

I did spare ribs. My temps ranged from 250-300. Cooked for five hours. Rubbed and placed bone side down. Turned twice. Lightly sauced. I burned up about 90% of the brick. Overall, I was disappointed with the lack of smokey flavor. No smoke ring either. But I have had the same results on my UDS using wood chunks, so it may be me more than the bricks.

Lol. Maybe he shoulda sent some directions with it.
The bricks you have are for stickburners.
This product is not made to be used as fuel but as to add smoke and flavor.
Lighting the brick would not give you very good heat and from the looks not very clean smoke either.

Next time cut your brick into cubes for the UDS.

I LOVE MojoBricks! :bow:

Lol. Maybe he shoulda sent some directions with it.
The bricks you have are for stickburners.
This product is not made to be used as fuel but as to add smoke and flavor.
Lighting the brick would not give you very good heat and from the looks not very clean smoke either.

Next time cut your brick into cubes for the UDS.

I LOVE MojoBricks! :bow:
Interesting. Now I don't know if I should try again on the UDS or go to the stick burner...or if one brick is enough.

Interesting. Now I don't know if I should try again on the UDS or go to the stick burner...or if one brick is enough.

1 brick is not enough for the stickburner. Mojobricks burn exceptionally clean and can be used as a fuel source in a stickburner, as I regularly use them for. With only 1 left, you should cut it into smaller cubes and use them in your UDS or WSM with your charcoal. Best results will be using a bandsaw to cut them. Look at the mojobricks.com website and you'll see the size you should cut them down to. If you have any questions, email Fred Grosse through that website and he'll help you out.

Definitely cut them down for smaller units my bad if i didn't tell you when we spoke.I get some serious smoke rings using these in Backwoods.

Your doing reviews of products and you don't have your equipment under control?

Thats a fair statement. I was honest about it, yet I felt obliged to write review regarding the product, as I said I would.

If anything maybe I helped Mojo learn that they can't just send their product to some knuckhead on the internet without including instruction (paying or not).

I get a nice smoke ring and just the right of smoke flavor when I use three fist-sized chunks of Mojobricks. They produce a nice, clean, sweet smoke. I like to go with two cherry and one oak. Not my best pic but it's what I had handy.

DSCF5027.jpg

Try doing a search for some of my Mojobrick cooks, I've really put them to the test and documented them in a Bandera with Brisket & Butts, Sirloin Ball tip roast and rib cooks on the BGE, Chicken and Salmon on the Cajun Bandit, Pork collars in the Cookshack Smokette, Chicken on a UDS and Brisket on the Backwoods. I even smashed a few cubes and used them in the Little Chief Smokehouse for Maple cold smoked Cheese!
Cherry and Maple are the only varieties that I have sampled and I have been very happy with the results. I cut them into 1/3 or 1/6 depending on the cooker and meats.
The first time I used one it was in the Bandera, and I went in with the expectation that it would be a long burning source of heat, well, it was a source of heat allright and it definitely got the drafty Bandera firebox up n roaring!
I got the same results you encountered with your UDS. But I recovered and set the next whole brick off to the side and it smoldered away and I will say it was probably my best cook on the Bandera.
After that, Mojobricks are cut up and used exclusively for smoke.

I'm really glad Fred has packaged the "Qubes" for retail sales, I used them at the 2012 Evergreen Eggfest and handed some out to some dealers and I think they should be a no-brainer for Eggheads or casual grillers.

I love Mojobricks!:clap:

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

Last edited:
doing a cook for the first time with just about anything new will cause anyone to ask questions.
The first time I cooked with the Mojobricks I did it not knowing how to use charcoal let along wood. Unless you have about 10 bricks your not going to want to experiment with them in a stick burner. You can use one brick in a UDS but really you only need 1/4 of a brick to get good smoke flavor if you know how. It simply takes time - like anything else - to get the knack of using the bricks in charcoal. visit mojobricks.com tutorial to see lots of different ways to cook with Mojobricks for smoke flavor. :decision:

Back