MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

Default Oakridge products

I have heard about Game Changer for awhile now and plan to pick some up to see if it can help my compatition chicken thighs. Does anyone have advice in using this or can tell me anything about the other Oakridge products and why I want to try them.
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
que_dawg

I used game changer this past season, and I have to say, I am VERY pleased with it. Chicken was my most consistent category all year. We even finished the year strong at the National BBQ Cup with a "180" in chicken. In addition, I don't think it is a coincidence that the one contest that I forgot my brine and left it behind was the worst finish I had all year. Needless to say, I strongly recommend the Game Changer.
[url]www.facebook.com/superiorsmokers[/url]
Head Pitmaster In Charge, Superior Smokers
que_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

I would agree with que_dawg. Oakridge products, especially the brine are proven winners. Since switching to Game Changer Brine, chicken scores went through the roof, including a winner winner chicken dinner.
I have a, now friend, I met in bbq competition class. We would run things off one another because that's who I am. If he is not a direct competitor and a friend, I'm willing to help a lending hand. He was having a rough time in Chicken and asked for some help. He could not get above the top 1/2 of the field. I give him enough brine to do one comp and told him how I did it. I didn't give him any names of the products, just the brine and the rub I use. He told me if he got top ten I was going up on stage with him. 1st place and the funny man told me he was going to kiss me on stage...not likely I was taking the invitation on stage any more . He called me up while at his next competition and took 3rd place in chicken. Guess that shows things work out pretty well with Oakridge Brine.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
pocoloco
Got Wood.

I pretty much use oakridge competition rub on everything. Great stuff. I must try the brine.
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

All their stuff is good quality stuff, no "fluff" at all. Mike recommended that I warm half the water to 140* and dissolve half the brine in it. Then add that to the other half of the cold water and game changer mix. 1st and a 5th place chicken in my last 2 comps!

Last edited by JS-TX; 11-29-2012 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: typo
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

You simply have to try the HDD. It makes the absolute best hot wings - mix half and half with olive oil and let the chicken marinate for at least 24 hours, resprinkle and cook in the smoker til done. The HDD is also a useful ingredient in glazes for many pork dishes (Ham, loin, chops...) Also, the Santa Maria on beef is most excellent.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
glenntm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEvoy AZ View Post
I have heard about Game Changer for awhile now and plan to pick some up to see if it can help my compatition chicken thighs. Does anyone have advice in using this or can tell me anything about the other Oakridge products and why I want to try them.
We are sponsored by Oakridge. We used the Game Changer and Secret Weapon on our chicken. Both are very good products. Mike has a bunch of great rubs like the competition rub, and new brisket rub.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Game Changer brine is crazy good, and I like to use the HDD when I really need to make something pop. I haven't tried his other stuff, but definitely need to.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntm View Post
Mike has a bunch of great rubs like the competition rub, and new brisket rub.
New brisket rub? Haven't seen or heard about that one. Chit, their comp. beef/pork rub is great on brisket now.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
glenntm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
New brisket rub? Haven't seen or heard about that one. Chit, their comp. beef/pork rub is great on brisket now.
I've received a couple prototypes over the last few months. I'm not sure if its officially released, but I think it will be call Black Ops.. Mike does a great job of having the sponsored teams test and provide feedback on the new products before release. It's going to be very popular.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntm View Post
I've received a couple prototypes over the last few months. I'm not sure if its officially released, but I think it will be call Black Ops.. Mike does a great job of having the sponsored teams test and provide feedback on the new products before release. It's going to be very popular.
Black Ops... I think you got the wrong forum. That's quite a name. Well I'll be looking forward to trying it out, should be good. Do you know if they are working on any sauces?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Listen to Tom from IAB, he is good people and one hell of a pitmaster. I finally got the chance to meet him face-to-face at the Jack. He walked me throuigh a lot of Oakridge products and I have been ever so thankful. However I am super excited about the Brisket Rub. Wish it was part of the Cyber Monday Sale, I would have added that to my almost 10 lbs of product I just got.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
pocoloco
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
agreed. I use the comp rub in my tri-layer brisket. Kosher Salt - Competition rub - 16 mesh pepper. yummy.
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Woody Wood
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I absolutely swear by Oakridge Rubs. Like said before Mike is top notch and very knowledgeable on BBQ rubs.
Woody Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
McEvoy AZ

Got some Game Changer today, wish I came bake to this post to try Secret Weapon as well as I just have never figured out my chicken flavor profile. When I haven't screwed up the texture I have been middle of the pack to as high as 4th. My technique has given me bite through skin, but every time basically using different flavor profiles. What rubs and sauces work well with Game Changer?
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote