Help Please On Close Up Pictures

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a point and shoot camera, Sony Cyber Shot DCS-T70 to be precise. When I try to take close up shots I get this blurry and out of focus.

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

I don't know anything about photography or using all the settings so I always use it on auto focus. After I load them on my computer I do the best to make them better. But since they are chit to begin with it doesn't help much.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know much of anything about that model specifically, but my Sony auto-focus requires me to slightly press down on the button in order for the auto focus to actually work. When I do that I see the little... lines on the view screen, and they're all white. Once the auto focusing is done those lines turn green. At that point I can take my picture, and presto chango! they are in focus and viewable.

You're too close in the upper photo. Unless you have a macro setting, you are too close. On the plus side to that, you are also too close for composition. Pull back a bit and you end up with a better photo. Some of my shots, after I post, I realize I was too close.

The second shot looks like bad lighting. If you can adjust the white balance for indoor lighting, you will be better off.

The auto focus on mine is the same way. The thing is when I am taking close shots it doesn't lock in. I have tried on macro setting but that doesn't seem to work either.

You're too close in the upper photo. Unless you have a macro setting, you are too close. On the plus side to that, you are also too close for composition. Pull back a bit and you end up with a better photo. Some of my shots, after I post, I realize I was too close.

The second shot looks like bad lighting. If you can adjust the white balance for indoor lighting, you will be better off.

Okay so I should back off of the shot then crop for a tighter shot?

The auto focus on mine is the same way. The thing is when I am taking close shots it doesn't lock in. I have tried on macro setting but that doesn't seem to work either.

If it doesnt focus in macro mode that means you are too close for the macro mode to be effective, just slowly inch out until you find the ideal distance.

If you want to be close in you need to use the "Macro" setting. Here are the insttructions for your camera. http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCT70.pdf

Macro/Close focus (Shooting close-up)
Touch the Macro/Close focus mode setting icon on the screen. Touch the desired item, then
[BACK].
Macro Off ( )
Macro On ( ):
W side
DSC-T200: Approx. 8 cm or fart
her (3 1/4 inches or farther)
DSC-T70/T75: Approx. 8 cm or fa
rther (3 1/4 inches or farther)
T side
DSC-T200: Approx. 80 cm or farther (31 1/2 inches or farther)
DSC-T70/T75: Approx. 25 cm or farther (9 7/8 inches or farther)
Close focus enabled ( ):
Locked to the W side: Approx. 1 to 20 cm (13/32 to 7 7/8 inches)

You guys are great that's 5 good suggestions in 10 minutes.:grin:
Please keep them coming.

I don't know much of anything about that model specifically, but my Sony auto-focus requires me to slightly press down on the button in order for the auto focus to actually work. When I do that I see the little... lines on the view screen, and they're all white. Once the auto focusing is done those lines turn green. At that point I can take my picture, and presto chango! they are in focus and viewable.

^^^this^^^

I have a Canon Powershot A480 and it sounds it carries the same technique.
Slighty press on the button till it Phocus itselPhs and then shoot.
When you don't have enouPh light around you it will get blurry real quick.

Shoot with natural light (though difficult since a lot of times we're taking pictures of dinner and all natural light may be gone). Try and shoot with a tripod if you can. A lot of point and shoot cameras won't have fancy image stabilization like a Canon L lens or other high-end lens will. Also, pulling back and just cropping the photo later will make sure you get more of the shot in focus and you won't be fighting blurry photos.

Another problem I see is that you appear to be working in low light, or low enough that the camera doesn't like it. Low light causes the camera to use a slower shutter speed. When the shutter slows down, very slight movements of the camera during the duration of the exposure will create blur and unsharpness.

Macro and maybe play with the light settings. My last point and shoot had an option of tungsten, florescent and some others. Take a bunch of pics and see which ones look the best. I usually take like 40 pictures and only end up using a few.

go for the additional lighting. more light = faster shutter reaction which should = less motion blur. I have a DSC-H9 and can take some awesome pictures given halfway decent lighting.

Fingerlick'n makes a point that a lot of brethren can benefit from. Different lamps have different colors. Tungsten bulbs give off warm (orange light) some florescents are greenish, leds can skew blue. If your camera doesn't have settings for different lighting situations then you'll have to use software to color correct it after the fact with a program like this. If it's light outside I'll stage my shots on a cutting board next to a north light window and use some bright white poster board as a reflector to fill in the shadows. And as everyone says a tripod is a must. Picking the right tripod is another whole can of worms. Good on ya for facing your photo woes.

Okay so I should back off of the shot then crop for a tighter shot?
This is one way of doing it. Back off a bit and use the optical zoom to get a tight composition. Also, allow your camera about a second to hunt for focus by depressing your shutter half way, especially in low. This is usually how I compose tight, close up shots using my el cheapo point n shoot.

Back