MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

When setting up the site layout be sure to put one of your tables between the prep area the smokers that way you can use it from either side, to prep meat or to have a place to put meat that you've pulled off the smoker.
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Y water connector stays under the front seat of the truck year round. Its never forgotten, and easy to find.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

I try to remember to check the weather forecast before going. Not only for temperature and rain predictions but more importantly wind, speed and direction. That way when I get to the site I can set up my WSMs to be downwind of the EZ-Up. Sure does save gagging and choking on the smoke. If the wind speed is expected to be up then I may put up a wall or two. Then my WSMs get a bit of a wind shade.

One other tidbit. Before you go setting everything up, be sure to scope out the water/electric situation. Kinda sucks to get most everything in place only to find that the water is 50 feet further than you've got hose for. Same for electric. This way if there's a problem you can find the contest organizer and figure out some sort of answer that may include changing sites.

Russ

Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Gloveliners for those times when your hands are damp and the rubber gloves give you hassle.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
Rick Hamilton

If your cell phone allows multiple alarms...put in all your important times. For example, 10:00 prep chicken, 10:30 put chicken on cooker, etc. When away from site visiting the alarm is a great reminder.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is How We Que It View Post
The Coleman hot water dispenser for washing dishes. It will cost you a couple of bills, but the wife loves it for cleaning and if you have a happy wife then you have a happy life.
AND, if you pick up a collapsible porta-potty enclosure, it works as a shower too!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
No matter how nice the weather is.....tie the damn canopy down!
Wholeheartedly agree with this one!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with this one!!
I read this post two weeks late. :)

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #24
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

What about judges? I take Tylenol, soap, a clean t-shirt, and a clamp on umbrella. I have judged comps where, due to some screw up by somebody, there was no place to wash your hands and you had to use hand sanitizer. Getting a headache in 100+ degree weather sucks and, I need a clean shirt because I always end up getting chicken or ribs on my shirt.

The bolt on umbrella comes in when your seat is in the sun, which I have experienced. Plus, it comes in handy if it starts to rain.

Also, get to the comp early and scope out the seating. Find out where the air flow is based upon where the fans are located and grab a seat in the middle of the table that gets the best air flow. Middle seats are always either the 3rd or 4th pick from the turn in box.

Don't put your fingers that you have been licking all over the entries that you are not eating when picking out a piece of meat from the box. Don't take up so much room at the judging table that the ones sitting beside you are cramped. Be considerate of the other judges.

When judging, consider the fact that the team that cooked that meat toiled over it and put a lot of time, money, work and care into it. Take it seriously. You are not there merely to eat good BBQ.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
Greg60525

I bring a sheet metal dryer wall vent cap that will fit the stack on my pit. If it's windy I place it over the stack and turn it so that the opening is downwind, so that the wind won't back draft into the cooking chamber.

Heater for cold weather comps.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #26
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Use a tablecloth on your prep table (either a disposable one or several sheets of foil). Makes cleanup so much easier.

Towels w/caribiners (golf towels).

Bring a pair of waterproof boots (if it doesn't rain, your neighbor will surely get carried away with the water hose).

Band-aids.

Earplugs (count on your neighbors partying into the wee hours).

Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #27
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Here's a great tip I got from another MD team (Pork and Deans...gotta give credit). For our dishwashing/sanitation system we use a Camp Stove along with 8" steam table pans to both heat the water and also use as a table to hold the pans. I wish I had a pic of our setup, but we basically put the steam table pans on the stove, fill with water, turn on the burners and we usually have scalding hot water in about 5 minutes. The best part is, the steamer pans nest together and the camp stove folds up so it takes up very little space.

Here's some links:
Camp Stove
Steam Table Pans
We got about 11 of these pans at auction for about $6 apiece. We use the other pans for meat prep, especially injecting. The deep walls of the pan keep the mess contained real well.
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #28
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Wear two pair of latex gloves and just remove the dirty pair. Much easier to get a new pair on.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

It will rain and there will be a power failure. Prepare for both.
Ponchos and side walls for your EZ-Up (tied down of course).
Small car battery to run the fan controller(s), a quiet inverter generator if you need more power.

A very comfortable reclining chair so you can catch some ZZZZZs
Crocs for your feet. Super comfortable and OK if they get wet.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #30
Muddy River Boy
Knows what a fatty is.

My contribution is this. KISS!!!! (keep it simple stu....) The more stuff you take and get out at a contest, the more you have to clean up. I have gotten my set up down to about 15 min of set up time and about 30 minutes of clean up. Makes it SOOOOOO much easier than the days of lugging everything you could imagine around the country. I use the motto that if I dont use it at every contest I dont take it.

Clint