MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
LA 433
Knows what a fatty is.

Default babyback help!

so superbowl is going to be the first time i do ribs and a brisket and i need a good recipe for both in detail please....

babyback ribs .... im doing the 3-2-1 so i need a good rub and what to poor in the foil to wrap ....and a good homemade bbq sauce

ive never done a brisket so the more help on that the better ....

please help its my first time with the wsm and i want to knock them dead :)
LA 433 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

3-2-1 on baby backs is going the make mush. 2-1-.5? Ish. First time dont get fancy. Start the brisket the night before salt and pepper, cook til it kinda jiggles when ya poke at it, and probe tender

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

By the sounds of things your just getting your feet wet so keep it simple. 50/50 Kosher salt & course black pepper 10% granulated garlic. Pit at 300 deg the bones will finish in about 3-4 passing the *bend test brush with sauce give i 15 min to set up.
*Bend test

For the brisket( get a packer) trim off the HARD fat apply your rub( see above) on the pit point to the fire box. At 300 your looking at about 45 min lb but that is just a very rough estimate based on experience YMMV the brisket is done when it passes the* poke test.
*Poke Test> use a skewer or a thermo probe when it slides in like a hot knife cutting soft butter it's done. Do your testing in the flat as it is the last to finish. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I say throw the ribs on and forget about them for 3 hrs, check them then sauce when they bend like Bludawg said.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like you haven't done babybacks before either.

3-2-1 will get you mush

I also do 2-1-.5 at 250 in a kamado.

Make it simple your first time. ..buy a rub. Use apple juice in the foil. Buy some BBQ sauce.

Spritz a couple times if you want.

Don't forget to pull the membrane
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
LA 433
Knows what a fatty is.

ive done ribs on my weber kettle but after watching youtube people do the 3-2-1 method and the come out good so im a little confused but i will take your guys word for it and try 2-1-.5 on sat to test it before the big game....

Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
cardman
Knows what a fatty is.

Ive always done a 2-2-1 method. When I wrap them in foil I also use about 2-3oz of beer as well in the foil. My temps are probably closer to 250 or 260 which is why mine might cook a bit longer. Plus I like my ribs falling off the bone and so do my guest.
cardman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

The 3-2-1 method they used was probably for spares or St. louis cut and not babybacks.

Or maybe cooking at 225.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Remember, 99% of the youtube videos you see are made by people who have no clue. Listen to the folks here, they will set you right.

I agree with the person who said power through at 275-300 degrees for 3 hours without peeking or messing around. You will be rewarded.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA 433 View Post
ive done ribs on my weber kettle but after watching youtube people do the 3-2-1 method and the come out good so im a little confused but i will take your guys word for it and try 2-1-.5 on sat to test it before the big game....
3-2-1 method is for St. Louis trimmed or even untrimmed ribs.
Baby backs are smaller than the above cut.

Please read this link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6963

This is a sticky in Q-Talk.....Titled KCquers ROADMAP to Q-Talk. Tons of great info there. Check it out.

Also at the bottom of the main page is a Google...Search Bar. The answers only apply to this forum. Good luck! Any other ???'s you might have do not be afraid to ask away.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
LA 433
Knows what a fatty is.

i was going to throw the brisket on with the ribs and cook at 225 is this a bad idea then ???

still dont know what size brisket i was going to get

Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Cooking a brisket at 225, you are going to need about 1.5 hrs per pound. So if you get a small brisket at 8 lbs, that is 10 to 12 hours of cooking time (approximately).

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA 433 View Post
i was going to throw the brisket on with the ribs and cook at 225 is this a bad idea then ???

still dont know what size brisket i was going to get
Been there done that(225) If you want success and great BBQ don't cook lower than 275 EVER!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Been there done that(225) If you want success and great BBQ don't cook lower than 275 EVER!
I beg to differ. Great BBQ can be cooked at different temperatures. I always cook my briskets at 225 and my ribs at 250 and have won many awards doing so. Don't assume that just because you didn't have success cooking at a certain temp that it must be wrong.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I have been trying the hot and fast methods lately with good results as well. But I still find that when smokin a ham, pork loin, and bacon, that low and slow is still the best.

Thanks from:--->