You ever know you are screwing up and screw it up anyhow? My first brisket fail.

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a deal on a couple of briskets and had one in the freezer for a while. I decided to try something new. I separated the point from the flat. My first time doing that. It was a bit of a hack job but I learned a lot and it came out acceptable.

My plan was to cure the flat. I will be making pastrami and I like the thin slices like we used to get at the deli. So that is curing now. But that left me with a point that I did not want to re-freeze. I didn't have a lot of time this weekend so I decided to try hot and fast.

Short version, got up to 205 (wrapped at 170) in about 5 hours cooking at ~310 degrees. It probed tender where I usually probe a whole packer. But I noticed a few spots were not probing tender in the thickest portion. I've always had my brisket done at 205 so I was nervous about drying it out. I should have known. I wrapped it to cool and when I finally sliced it it was rubbery in spots. Reminded me exactly of how some crappy bbq places serve brisket.

Damn it I knew I needed more time. I knew to go by feel, not temp. But I did it anyway. I changed too many variables in one cook. Oh well. The pastrami will be great.

It’s really hard to avoid the temptation to let temp influence your decision making. I use my Thermapen for my probe and have to consciously try to not let it do that sometimes, even though I know better.

I had to pull some ribs out of the heat after 6.5 hours Sunday, knowing via probe that they were still not done but it was 9:30 PM and I was not willing to wait all night. I learned not to use full-width pans any more in my outdoor oven that I was using to finish them; the ribs were fine, but not as tender as they should have been.

Live & learn.

I always figure you are going to fail some to have great success Chili souns like a good idea and pastrami sounds excellent

I really need to stop being so cheap on it, stock up on a few briskets, and just cook 2-3 at the same time and pull at various intervals. I also get so worried about 'it's been on so long, it HAS to be done' but just need to pull one when I think it's ready, and maybe let another one ride out a bit longer and see what happens..

Been there done that and yes it's a tuff lesson. Hot and fast usually means your finish temps are a bit higher than low and slow

So I came home and looked in the fridge and with only a couple hours I made something that came out awesome. It was a take on beef stroganoff.

I sliced the brisket and put it in a dutch oven with some beef stock and leftover sauteed mushrooms and onions I had, some mustard, some worcestershire. Let the beef get tender, added some heavy cream and thickened.

It was awesome. Served over some asparagus and it fit my keto diet perfectly. Not chili, but I was super happy with it.

Back