MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #46
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

I'm of the mind set that you can screw me once...and I'll never buy another product from ya.

Given the issue is the power button not working I am fairly certain I can rig together an external battery pack with a cutoff switch but this will obviously void my warranty, so I don't want to pursue it unless I have too.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #47
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnut View Post
Although my replacement unit is working fine, made in China speak's loudly....
That said your not going to find a whole heck of a lot that is not made in china.

Even if the final construction is done here the electronics will still come from overseas.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #48
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Well I was just given the party line of "please send in the unit to us and we'll take a look at it".

Looks like it's time to juryrig something up...I believe I can wire up a new battery pack with a kill switch cheaper than it would cost to ship it to them.

And it looks like I'm done with Maverick. I'll stick to Thermoworks products now on, even with the premium they charge.

Stealth gray Thermopen

Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #49
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
I received the ET-733 as a gift and just put it together today to check it out (unfortunately my grills / smokers are still buried).

Transmitter will not turn off. I tried pressing the power button to varying degrees with no luck. Sent email to Maverick help desk, awaiting answer. Gonna be kinda ticked if I have to pay to ship something what would be equivalent of about 5 miles from my house based on the address listed on the website.
Quote:
Well I was just given the party line of "please send in the unit to us and we'll take a look at it".

Looks like it's time to juryrig something up...I believe I can wire up a new battery pack with a kill switch cheaper than it would cost to ship it to them.

And it looks like I'm done with Maverick. I'll stick to Thermoworks products now on, even with the premium they charge.
Just drive it up there and drop it off.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #50
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Just drive it up there and drop it off.
I reached out to them...we'll see what they say.

Stealth gray Thermopen

Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #51
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I reached out to them...we'll see what they say.
Ok, so I finally was able to get to Maverick's office and they ended up replacing the unit.

Checked it out once I got home and it seems to be all good.

Have to give them a big thumbs up on the customer service.

I don't think they expect guests all that often although I did ask the customer service contact if I could stop by and they said it was OK.

Stealth gray Thermopen

Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #52
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

I got a Mav 732 as a Christmas present. I've used it about fifteen or twenty times since then. The only problem I've had is I killed one of the probes by trying to use it in a steak over a very hot fire. Totally my fault. I've since gotten a Thermopop for that kind of use. The 732 works great and I'm still on the el cheapo batteries.
HarrynVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #53
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

chiming in here: my 733 base unit does seem to eat batteries. Second cook, second set of batteries. When I first got the thing, I pulled it out and played with it, then shut it off with the original batteries in it. Less than two months later, they were dead.

I figured it was just the cheapo batteries they ship with. My replacement batteries made it through a single 9-hour cook - I put the thing away for a week, came back, and the base unit batteries were dead again.

Kind of annoying. The thing works great, otherwise - I don't know how I did without it.
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #54
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

I left my 732 on for a week in my BBQ bucket a couple weeks ago and both units were still going strong for my cook last weekend. Don't think I have ever replaced the batteries in either unit for ~2 years or however long I have had it.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #55
Volsfan846
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynVegas View Post
I got a Mav 732 as a Christmas present. I've used it about fifteen or twenty times since then. The only problem I've had is I killed one of the probes by trying to use it in a steak over a very hot fire. Totally my fault. I've since gotten a Thermopop for that kind of use. The 732 works great and I'm still on the el cheapo batteries.
Yeah, that is the only problem I have ever had with mine. And most of the time it is my fault for getting them wet when cleaning.

That said, if you don't mind dropping the extra coin, the BluTherm Duo is in another league. The probes are standard thermocouples you can get just about anywhere and you can get more than 20 different probes for it. Pretty cool too that it will send a graph of your entire cook to your smart phone so you can see what the temps in the cooker and the meat are doing in real time. BUT, they are expensive.
Volsfan846 is offline   Reply With Quote