MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
shiva
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Night train brisket unsuccessful

First, I'm a big time KC BBQ fan. I'm from Columbia MO and rarely get good bbq. This weekend I went to Oklahoma Joes and fattened myself up with some brisket and burnt ends (see picture!). I came back home and decided I wanted to make some nice, tender brisket in the oven since I don't have a way to smoke. Only other real beef cooking experience I have is a couple crock pot roasts and some cast iron steaks.

I purchased a 5lb flat brisket ($20 , but worth it for the experiment) that looked a little lean on the fat cap after I opened it. I rinsed it and patted it dry, liberally sprinkling a mixture of 2tbl black pepper and 3tbl celery salt.

Wrapped it up in 2 pieces of Al foil, crimping the edges tight. I put it in a glass baking dish and put it in a 275F oven for 4hr 15m. Rested 30 mins, turned on the broiler, removed steak from pouch and broiled on a cookie sheet until it looked well browned on the fat cap, about 12 mins.

Waited 15 more minutes, and started slicing. Taste was excellent, the beef pulled apart fairly easily, but was dry dry dry in the mouth! This was confusing since the foil pouch was still filled with juice, though some did collect in the baking dish. I chopped about half into cubes and mixed it up with BBQ sauce, though it's still dry when I eat it. 1/2 is still in steak form in the fridge, and I saved all the juices in a tupperware container.

1) What can I do to make it "juicier" next time? I feel like I followed the directions perfectly (I was a baker for a little while), but I'm very inexperienced with roasting/braising meats.
2) Any way to salvage the brisket I have left over? can I rehydrate with the drippings?

Thank you brethren

PS also open to other meat ideas that I can mock up with BBQ sauce to simulate the experience. I have not been impressed with the bbq shops in Columbia, MO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg okie_joes.jpg (132.1 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg brisket-first.jpg (160.8 KB, 421 views)
shiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Perhaps the glass dish changed the timing? More likely it was just one of those flats that don't turn out right.

Sounds like you have the perfect first step for some brisket chili.

I hope that Brother Donnie sees this and chimes in.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
bigabyte

If it was pull apart, you definitely didn't undercook it!

It might have helped to let it rest longer before slicing.

Since I don't normally cook them this way, I'm not sure I have much advice for you really.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Braumeister
Knows what a fatty is.

IMHO the best thing I did was learn to cook to internal temperature and not by time, I do brisket to 190° internal and then start probing with the thermapen when it slides in like the meat was soft butter it's done, or you could come to STL and go to Pappy's.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
gtr

I did the NT experiment once and I liked the briskets I had been smoking better - I thought they were more tender and juicy - could have been the piece of meat itself, plus I usually do whole packers and just did a flat for the NT experiment.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

sure seems overcooked to me. as mentioned, take it to about 195 then start the probe method. i always use my drier pieces in bbq spaghetti which we love.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont cook brisket that way, but that shouldnt change tenderness? IMO... A couple of things :
1) flats can be very tempramental and dry, really better to do packer and trim down.
2) the rest time seemed a little short, as the meat rest it will reabsorb some of the juices that rendered out of it...
3) you might also try(if you have a grill of any kind is to sear the brisket first then put in oven and cook....
Good luck
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Try injecting it next time. Good beefy broth or au jus mix.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
shiva
Got rid of the matchlight.

In hindsight, the resting period did seem a little short (I reread the NT post and it gave a range, with 30m being on the low end). With all this talk about tempermental cuts, I also believe the trimmed fatcap may have contributed. I bought the steak at walmart and they blacked out the fat side, so I couldn't gauge how much fat there was (I was actually worried it was all fat and I was wasting good money). Too many variables, will have to just try it again and make a note of what, if anything, I changed.

In the mean time I'm also researching smokers in the $200 - $250 range. WSM 18" looks good, but I'm wondering if a propane one would be easier since I don't really have too much time to master this craft . I saw some posts of how easily a propane smoker will hold 225F and it's tempting to go that route...
shiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

I would definitely stick with charcoal/wood as opposed to propane.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
In hindsight, the resting period did seem a little short (I reread the NT post and it gave a range, with 30m being on the low end). With all this talk about tempermental cuts, I also believe the trimmed fatcap may have contributed. I bought the steak at walmart and they blacked out the fat side, so I couldn't gauge how much fat there was (I was actually worried it was all fat and I was wasting good money). Too many variables, will have to just try it again and make a note of what, if anything, I changed.

In the mean time I'm also researching smokers in the $200 - $250 range. WSM 18" looks good, but I'm wondering if a propane one would be easier since I don't really have too much time to master this craft . I saw some posts of how easily a propane smoker will hold 225F and it's tempting to go that route...
I have a GOSM and it is fairly good at holding temps as long as you've got very good isolation from wind. You'll also want to do some minor mods on it involving the chip box and water/drip pan. Nothing wrong with them and I still love mine. BUT. I much prefer using my Weber Kettle/Cajun Bandit conversion (a virtual WSM) or even just my kettle. Once you've become profficient on these they're fairly set and forget too. The flavor beats the heck out of the GOSM. Whatever you decide on you'll always get friendly advice from fellow members.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Next time buy the floppiest brisket they have. They end up much more tender and juicy than the stiff ones.

You can also smoke chuck roast as a nice alternative to brisket. More marbling is better in both cuts.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
landarc

One thing I would note, the Night Train experiment is really about getting the texture right. While it can and usually does produce a tasty product, it is really about learning how a properly done brisket will feel. Properly braising meat is an art in itself, and about as far from baking as you can get. If I was to be preparing a brisket for eating, I would probably add more liquid and braise it a little longer. I am not a big believer that you need fat cap for moisture in a brisket, I have just not had the experience that a bigger fatcap leads to a moister brisket. And yes, I am basing this on hands on experience.

I really beleive you will find a better product comes from charcoal or wood burning, than propane or electric cookers. But, in the end, even if you use a propane smoker, you will end up with a good product that is very edible. I recommend you do another NT brisket, see what happens and really consider getting a smoker, propane or charcoal.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
One thing I would note, the Night Train experiment is really about getting the texture right. While it can and usually does produce a tasty product, it is really about learning how a properly done brisket will feel.
Exactly. Most people seem to be missing that point. The longest learning curve in smoking a brisket is knowing when it is done. It's just a "feel" that you develop over time. Instead of spending 10-15 hours at a time learning this curve, the idea is to do a couple in the oven and learn it quickly.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Not to be off topic but can you make a UDS? Would be worth your trouble.

Also on yet another side note I thought when you said Night Train you where talking about some nasty cheap wine here in Oregon ROFL.