MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
handsomejack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Deer Ribs? Help, Please!

Need emergency help from the Brethren on smoking some deer ribs. I've heard it's hard to smoke deer ribs 'cause even if you get 'em in the paper-it's hard to make the glue stick! ha,ha That's my drunk buddies wake and bake weed joke o' the morning.

Seriously, though. Since we started winning these damn cookoffs, everybody I know has been showing up w/ things for us to Q. So last night we were having a little sauce cooking/campfire party and my partner shows up with a couple of frozen racks of deer ribs.

So, standing next to the fire, feelin' good and suckin' on a pint of Grolsch I say something to the effect of "Hell yeah, I can cook the sh*t out of that!"

Now it's morning, there's a dead animal sticking out of my cooler, and I'm online trying to get one of you guys to save my ass while waiting for my hangover to go away!!! Can anyone help...??? We plan on cooking it tomorrow.
and I threw in my sister-in-law's big 'ole butt (rubbed it myself).
He hasn't called back...think the sauce was too spicy?
handsomejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Deer ribs can be a disaster. There is not enough meat on them to really make it worth while. I know a lot of hunters, myself included, that do not use the deer ribs at all. The only way that I have seen them done with any success is to make a meatloaf out of ground meat that contains a lot of pork fat. Roll up the ribs curve out like a standing rib roast and then stuff the center with the meatloaf. Then put them in a roaster and oven roast the whole thing till done. The ribs come out OK but the main portion is the meatloaf stuffing. I do not know of anybody that has had much luck in the smoker but it is worth a try. If you do smoke them then I would keep the fire and your expectations really low and foil pretty quick. If these were mine I would get out the old bone saw and cut them into chicken wing sized portions with two ribs per piece. Then grill them a little over the fire. About 3/4 the way done. Then soak them in Frank's Hot Sauce and finish grilling. Then serve them with regular hot chicken wings (fixed the same way) with blue cheese dressing. The deer rib mixed with the hot wings might be good and and if there is not enough meat on them the people will still enjoy sucking the sauce and blue cheese dressing. Then they can dive in after a fat old chicken wing and really enjoy. When you fix experimental food it is always best to never serve it to anybody but the family first, and always fix it with a tried and true entree (your most successful 'Q dish). That way if the experiment does not turn out too good everybody can enjoy the old standard. In this case you friend is expecting deer ribs and that is what you have to fix. But just ask yourself this. "Why did he bring the deer ribs to you?" The simple answer is that he has never found a way to fix them so that they are any good. You are on the spot and you should have told him where the nearest dumpster is located, that you do not waste your time on deer ribs because they aren't worth the effort.

If he is not there when you cook the ribs then you could throw the deer ribs away and fix some baby-back ribs instead. Be sure to serve them with lots of Guinness for color. Then when he eats them he will find them good and you can swear that they are his deer. And never, never, never fess up to the fact that you did not fix his deer ribs. He will spend the rest of his life trying to duplicate your feat with no success.

The bottom line is that deer ribs suck.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne

If he is not there when you cook the ribs then you could throw the deer ribs away and fix some babyback ribs instead. Be sure to serve them with lots of Guinness for color. Then when he eats them he will find them good and you can swear that they are his deer. And never, never, never fess up to the fact that you did not fix his deer ribs. He will spend the rest of his life trying to duplicate your feat with no success.
That's a really sneaky, underhanded idea Wayne.

I LIKE IT!!!!!

:D

Old 11-13-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne

If he is not there when you cook the ribs then you could throw the deer ribs away and fix some babyback ribs instead. Be sure to serve them with lots of Guinness for color. Then when he eats them he will find them good and you can swear that they are his deer. And never, never, never fess up to the fact that you did not fix his deer ribs. He will spend the rest of his life trying to duplicate your feat with no success.
That's a really sneaky, underhanded idea Wayne.

I LIKE IT!!!!!

:D
It just might be the ONLY solution in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

HJ, could you post a picture of the deer ribs? Just curious about how scrawny they really are. If you do the fakeout mod and you have the room, you just as well cook the deer ribs and see what happens. Being very lean I would think any cut from a deer would be less than perfect for smoking.
If you do try to cook them, I would definitely brine them, and mop often with something that has some fat content. I cooked buffalo 3 or 4 times over the summer (also quite lean) and am just offering what I learned from that.

Good luck!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
handsomejack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks you, Wayne
I found your post cautiously optimistic,
Quote:
Deer ribs can be a disaster
Highly informative,
Quote:
keep the fire and your expectations really low
Incredibly insightful,
Quote:
"Why did he bring the deer ribs to you?" The simple answer is that he has never found a way to fix them so that they are any good.
with just a slight, smoky taste of revenge
Quote:
He will spend the rest of his life trying to duplicate your feat with no success.
I like it a lot, but I don't think I'll be spending the cash on good meat to fool him with. The more I think about it, I think I'll just tell him
Quote:
that you do not waste your time on deer ribs because they aren't worth the effort.
... then give him a piece of fish. "Eat or go hungry," Grampa used to say...
and I threw in my sister-in-law's big 'ole butt (rubbed it myself).
He hasn't called back...think the sauce was too spicy?
handsomejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent reading! Made my Saturday!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Dear Ribs,

You have no meat and I am hungy. I am leaving you for pork.

Sincerly.
me.

:)

Hunter buddy across the street gave them to me last year to "try" along with a 'backstrap"(whatever that was).... I opted out of the ribs case they had no meat on them and what little there was had no marbling. Cooked the backstrap to 140 and turned it over to him.. Stuff looked alot like veal to me, but them ribs didnt look like they'd work.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

The back strapis the tenderloin. Slice it into 3 inch chunks, butterfly them and wrap them in bacon and guess what you have?

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...

Old 11-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #10
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Good Eats?

Old 11-13-2004, 08:57 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Dear Ribs,

Hunter buddy across the street gave them to me last year to "try" along with a 'backstrap"(whatever that was).... I opted out of the ribs case they had no meat on them and what little there was had no marbling. Cooked the backstrap to 140 and turned it over to him.. Stuff looked alot like veal to me, but them ribs didnt look like they'd work.
Great for jerky, and great as a filet wrapped in bacon with the right seasoning.

Ribs? Sausage fixins. If you smoke em I'd try laying some bacon over them to try and keep em moist.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

I smoke deer ribs for 2 hours low temp about 200 just to give them some flavor then put then into the chili pot for the rest of the day. I'll freeze what won't fit in the chili pot and use that for flavor when it's to cold to fire up the smoker.

Trout

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #13
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Not bad Trout. Deer ribs in chili sounds good.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...

Old 11-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, I try not to do the beef rib thing, too fatty for me.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote