MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Quantity - Ribs and Pulled Pork for 18?

I've been asked to cook for a company party, 18 guests and they want ribs and pulled pork. I'm thinking at a minimum 1 (8-9lb) pork butt and 2 racks, but think that may be cutting it close. Should I do 2 butts and 3 racks?
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If it were me, I would cook a little more food than you think you'll need (especially if the company is paying for it).

Also...be sure to cut the ribs into pieces and put the pieces towards the end of the line so folks will fill it up with sandwiches and side items. Otherwise, you'll have folks fill their empty plates up with ribs and you'll run out of ribs (i've seen folks take a whole rack of ribs and then say something like "no room on my plate for a sandwich").

Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I'd figure 4 racks and (1) 9 lb butt. Figure 2-3 ribs/person + 1 quarter lb sandwich/person. You feed 4-5 people/rack and 4 people/lb of finished pulled pork. You should get 5 lbs of pulled pork from a 9 lb butt for 20 sandwiches. Pre-cut the ribs in 2 and 3 rib segments so people don't serve themselves too much. Get an accurate headcount because you may have to add an extra rack at the last minute.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not an expert on estimating by any means, and I do like to over cook, but if I were you, I would probably do six slabs of ribs and either one huge 10 lb butt or two small ones. I tend to feed three ppl per slab, and with 55% loss on the butt, 1/4 lb per person, that butt would provide right at 18. Not much room for seconds but there are ribs. I usually cook loin ribs, so you might get four per slab on spares, depending on how you trim them, and you might get 5 if you serve the tips, but I think that's pushing it. I would cook no less than a huge butt and 4 slabs, but probably two smaller butts and 5 slabs spare / 6 loin just to be safe. Your boss will appreciate taking home the leftovers:)

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
shdybrady

i think the most important thing is sides. Make a good variety of sides so they dont fill their plate with ribs or sandwiches. I work contruction and we sometimes will have food brought to use. At first we put all the meat in the front of the line. Bad idea. Put the sides up front and the main dish at the end
shdybrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say it depends on how good the meat is!!!!

I'm the guy who will grab a whole slab of ribs and then squeeze a pickle on the side.

I'd say that 3 people per slab is about right and 1 large butt should work. I've got a big family (Mom & Daad, brothers and their families) and when I cook pulled pork for all of us (anywhere from 14-18 people) two butts is plenty and 4 or 5 racks is plenty, although I've not cooked BOTH for us.

Where IS this party.....I'm already hungry!!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
B-More BBQ Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

Two 6-7lb butts, and 6 racks is what I'm thinking. I always think what if everyone brings their appetite? Nobody is going to complain if you run out of the main course if everyone gets a plate of ribs and two sandwiches, but if everyone gets only 3 ribs, and one sandwich...
B-More BBQ Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

If you don't have a budget, fill your smoker up. If the company wants you to cook and says feed 18 and you cook (and they pay for) enough to feed 30, then you may appear to not have your calculations quite right. A large butt and 4 racks of spares will do the trick. Good luck.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Sweet Breathe BBQ

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the feedback and it gives me something to go with.
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

I say overcook. The last bbq we had at our house some joker grabbed about 9 bones and what must have been a pound of pulled pork. No sides, nothing, he didn't even make a sandwich out of the pulled pork, just a huge plate of meat. I must admit it kind of pi$$ed me off.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Go to Sams and get a package of 2 pack of butts and a 3 pack of spares. There will be plenty of leftovers and it will cost less than $50.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
I say overcook. The last bbq we had at our house some joker grabbed about 9 bones and what must have been a pound of pulled pork. No sides, nothing, he didn't even make a sandwich out of the pulled pork, just a huge plate of meat. I must admit it kind of pi$$ed me off.
Must a been on one of them fancy no carb diets...