My Nuts

Mitch

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Put on some almonds to smoke and have tonite in front of the fire while the X#&@ snow and ice storm comes ---- again. Oh well. Tomorrow IS the 1st day of WINTER! Whoopie Do.

HEHE I'm glad there's an 'M' in front of your name, Mitch, 'cause when I saw the thread title and your name under it...LOL

Stay warm!

For some reason (i.e. I'm an idiot) the photo didn't post...at least on my view. Here's another try!

Here's another try!

51VZYDHM9ML._AA240_.jpg

Smoked Almonds ............... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :mrgreen:

How are you trying to post your pic?

Through Image shack, cut paste like always, BUT it isn't doing what it should. Gonna try photobucket, but all my images are on Imageshack since my hard drive puked!

Here comes strike 3

SmokedAlmonds122207001.jpg

In the South we use Pecans!

Oven roasted with butter and BBQ rub.
I do about 10-15 lbs. every Christmas. Friends have started "asking" for their Christams "nuts" earlier each year!
I will have to do more next year. Have not tried smoking yet. Pecans have a very delicate taste, not sure if smoke would add or overtake. Guess it is time to fire up the drum!

I picked up Almonds and Pecans at Costco-anybody got any tried & true recipes? I see you have them on the Egg direct at 250, Mitch. I was thinking indirect, whats your trick?

It's indirect, the plate setter is legs up. Tried to keep it at 225, but the fire ran a bit hot.

Use raw (unrosated) nuts. Any type will do, even pecans. Don't put a lot of wood smoke to them. One small chunck about 2"X2"X3" is plenty - I use apple. Cook at 225 (or so) for 90-120 minutes, stir every 30 minutes, and hit with additional salt and or rub just as you take them off the cooker. Put on cooling rack or spread on newspaper to dry.

I use 2 Tbsp. melted butter, 2 Tbsp honey, and 2+ Tbsp of apple juice to make a very thin coating. Use as much juice as it takes so it isn't sticky, just wet. Add salt and rub (optional) to taste.

Back