MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Gatordawg
Full Fledged Farker

Question Help with a Gas Grill Question

Well I hate to admit I do use my gas grill some. Admittedly not as much as I used to, but our Kenmore that we have had forever has died. I mean not replaceable and I have talked the wife into a new one. The trouble is I am not 100% sure what to look at. Want to keep it below $500 so what are some great suggestions. What is anyone else using?

Thanks Brothers!!
Have wood
Gatordawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Under 500 gives you lots of options. Sam's usually has some nice units in that price range. Lowes and Home Depot too, plus what ever box stores are unique to you negihborhood too.
I would not worry about brand name, everything is so mixed up anymore it really does not matter whose name is on the front.
For me, I would look for the big heavy CAST iron or Cast Stainless, or Brass burners. That will be the key to heat and long life, and those are the real priorities.

Lowes and Home Depot sell unites that are Badged as Brinkmann that are really made by the Aussie Company that Barbecue's Galore sells. Very good prices on decent units. Of course, I don't look for a lot of flash, just a decent burner, a good heavy duty cooking grate, and something I think will last a few years.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a "Jenn-Air" 60K BTU grill which I purchased on sale at Lowe's last winter for $800. There are two smaller cousins which started at the time for around $600 on sale. The grill is made for Lowe's by a Chinese company which has licensed the brand, and there is no other affiliation with the appliance company. With that said, I have found the grill to work quite well, for direct and indirect grilling. It has enough power to do steaks in the Michigan winter, and has a separate rotisserie burner. On the downside, it has more venting than I would like, so it takes a while to get hot and does not peak out as high as I might sometimes like.

By the way, speaking of power for winter grilling, my former gas grill was a kind of wimpy 35K BTU Weber, which was dramatically improved by opening up the gas metering orifices by a few thousandths. The only downside I saw with the extra power was that I destroyed the Weber thermometer by "pegging" it the first time I fired up the improved grill.

I would strongly recommend that you try to hold out until after the holidays, as the big box stores run some great deals once the Xmas season is over and the summer season is still far away.

Although I do my "serious" work now on my Bandera, and in the future on the soon to arrive Klose, I do like the convenience of the gas grill for after work meals. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

ok... here my quarters worth.

the broilmaster is a little bit more, but will last you 15-20-30 years. Mine broilmaster P3 is almost 20 years old, and i just replaced the burner for the first time last summer,or the one before. It has the thickest cast in the industry and its built to last a lifetime. The premium(mid level) series is excellent and has close 700sq inchs of space and dual 20k burners. i highly highly recommend it... their slogan is "buy your last grill today".. and its is very fitting. in 20 years, i would have bought 3-4 lower end grills and paid twice as much if not more.

the 20k burners will easily bring the unit up to 800 degrees withthe lid closed and control is accurate and sensetive enuf to bake bread. Grills have 3 height adjustments and are porcleain ofer cast iron. its really a thing of beauty.

If u have to go lower, then the Webers and low-end ducanes are good units. i have used the weber genesis series and they;re pretty good.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

As my signature points out, I have a brinkman. This one has four burners, and a side burner for pots and whatnot.
I like this model because it has a lot of room. Also because I can turn on the two end burners, leave the middle two off, and rotisserie a bird without a whole lot of worry of churnobilizing it, and the grill.

I've had it four or five years now. Sits outside uncovered, and is holding up just fine.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

i'll make ya a good deal on my Charmglow (then i'll get a new one). I'll even help ya load it up when y'all come here at Thanksgiving.

BTW, remember to bring me some Blues Hog then. And some more rub from Latham's. That was some good stuff.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
ok... here my quarters worth.

the broilmaster is a little bit more, but will last you 15-20-30 years. My broilmaster P3 is almost 20 years old, and i just replaced the burner for the first time last summer,or the one before. It has the thickest cast in the industry and its built to last a lifetime. The premium(mid level) series is excellent and has close 700sq inchs of space and dual 20k burners. i highly highly recommend it... their slogan is "buy your last grill today".. and its is very fitting. in 20 years, i would have bought 3-4 lower end grills and paid twice as much if not more. the 20k burners will easily bring the unit up to 800 degrees withthe lid closed and control is accurate and sensetive enuf to bake bread. Grills have 3 height adjustments and are porcleain ofer cast iron. its really a thing of beauty.
----------------------------------

..... DITTO .... had D3 forever..... looks rough, works great, can't justify unloading it. Worth the time and effort to search for a used one in decent condition ,,,, even 'beat up' you can update from several internet sources for a couple hundred bucks and have one that performs like new.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not ashamed to admit that we use our gas grill quite a bit. I've had my Weber Genesis Silver C for about 9 years now. I did replace the 'flavorizer' bars about a year ago. It's been a great grill for the money...

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've got a Brinkman pro series 2500, same as Joe's. Heavy cast iron burners, porcelain over cast iron grates, cast brass side burner and stainless exterior. Does what I need it to do at under $400. Sounds like Frognot has a better deal for you though.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

I bought a Coleman unit a few years ago (I think the 1000 series). I got it at Harrow's (a pool/outdoor store) on sale at the end of the summer for $600 was $1000. It is a monster with a ton of power. The exterior heat shielding stinks on it but it otherwise it works great. Easy to get parts from their website.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Gatordawg
Full Fledged Farker

Smile Went Cheaper

I went cheaper this time. Got a UniFlame at Wally World!! It is the same as some of the others that I been looking at, but a bit cheaper. Decided to save the bucks to pump up my smoker size for the next buy so I am going to be looking for a new smoker instead. So, thanks for the input guys, it did help, but decided to hit the smoker instead of the gas with the $$$!!
Have wood
Gatordawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Bought a srainless steel coleman for $25 at a neighbors garage sale, best gas grill i have ever had
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Here one in TN for $30

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/for/203166677.html
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now is the time to look, all the stores seem to be marking them down. Also several had units knobs missing, easily ordered from manufacturer for 1/2-1/3 the normal price. Good luck.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

As my signature states, I have a Sam's Members Mark gasser. My next one will be a Holland or a Kingfisher. Both provide indirect heat, so you get no flair-ups. The Kingfisher takes it a step further, as it allows for couple lbs of chips/pellets to get loaded into a smoke box, and has a built in water box also.... pretty slick Here are pics of the 36" -- it can be had for just a little more than your limit (about $150)- but would last practically forever. http://www.kck.com/bbq_grill_gas_woo...d_smokers.html

I believe you can get into a holland for about $500.