MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry
Default My First Packer

About a month ago I purchased a 22" WSM with the intent of being able to smoke some briskets. I have done ribs, a butt, abts and a phatty all came out great. Here is my first attempt at a Brisket packer. Puchased choice packer form Restaurant depot. A little over 14 lbs..looked around in the case to find the most pliable one. Came out pretty good but I made a couple of mistakes. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

Trimmed a lot of the fat. 1st mistake I always did this when I cook one in the oven...mine was a little dry..not overly but a little.

Rubbed it down real good with some KC Rib DR rub..2nd mistake..this rub must have a lot of sugar...bark was thick tough and black. Did this the night before..wrapped and put in the fridge.

I put about 16 lbs of Kingsford blue in my smoker with a half dozen good size peices of Hickory wood. Left a whole in the center which I put about a third of a chimney of lit coals in. Lit fire at 6 am

I had all vents wide open and closed them to 1/4 one at a time as the temp rose. Ended up with just one vent barely 1/4 open and two closed to maintain a 250ish dome temp.

I used my Polder thermometer to keep track of what was going on..hit a stall of 172 degrees about 6.5-7 hours in. Temp climbed past 200 about 9 hours in. I pulled the therm and I did the probe test as I have read and didn't seem butter soft. I checked again an hour later..softer..but not butter..finaly checked and seemed soft enough so I pulled it at 10.5 hours. My third mistake..I think maybe overcooked a little.

I let it rest and separated the flat and the point. Cubed the point..put in a pan with sauce and more rub for burnt ends. Sliced the flat and enjoyed.

I know the pron came out huge..any suggestions in that regard as well.
scp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good to me. I cld never get a brisket that was not dry, I wld wrap when it hit 170 or so and pull when the probe slid in like butter. It seemed like the internal temp was always above 200. So the last one I cooked it hot and fast and it turned out to be the best one yet. Tender & juicy and it only took 5.5 hrs.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Great post, thanks for sharing! Pretty damn good for a first packer, much better than my first attempt.
Looking at the pic of the flat slices you can see that you cooked it just a tad too long, but that's the longest learning curve of briskys - knowing the exact moment to pull it from the smoker. Like anything else in cooking, it just takes practice and experience. That being said, that's a damn good first brisky!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Brizz
Full Fledged Farker

Did my first unassisted packer last weekend and had a few issues as well but overall it turned out great. The most surprising thing was how quickly it was done. I slid in the therm to check temp to see if I could foil and it read 200*, 7 hours for a 10lb'er There was a bit of resistance when the therm went in and after that it was like butter. I trusted my instincts and pulled the sucker.

Doing some reading here I learned if a brisket is done you should be able to grab and pull the point right from the flat –*worked like charm!

I too trimmed too much fat, I'll definitely be more reserved while trimming next time.
Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote