propane tank grill -> smoker conversion questions...

Whitfield

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My dad is being awesome and giving me his grill that he built from a large propane tank. The cooking chamber dimensions are approximately 25" X 80". Both cooking grates will slide out. I am divided on a few points of my conversion to an offset smoker. What size should I make the firebox and how large should I make the opening to the cooking chamber? Also, I am torn between using a Lang style reverse flow shelf or making a baffle and tuning plates. Ideally, I would like to have the option of using it as a grill too so I'm leaning towards the removableble tuning plates. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 265
Trust me, full length or at least center fired box is best for uniform heat and less work.

A full length fire box runs along the back of the cooker like this:

DSCF4669.jpg

Ok, that makes sense. Now...what is a center fired box? And why is that better than offset?

Personally bro, I have never seen one centered in the middle. I would go with either the full length or an offset box. :thumb:

lang60.jpg

Thanks, the full length box just threw in a whole new wrench. I was having a hard enough time deciding between RF or tuning plates. If I went with a full legth fire box would I just do a modified version of a baffle and tuning plates??? I have a small offset so I'm more familiar with that design.

The full length is more complicated. The offset box is what I would recommend.

Ok, so it looks like I'm going with an offset box. From the BBQ calculator it looks like I should make my firebox about 24" square with an opening from the firebox to the cooking chamber approximately 5" X 20" and 2 - 5" circular inlets on the firebox.

My biggest question at this point is whether I should use a reverse flow design or if I should go with tuning plates? I would like to have the option of using this cooker as a grill so that leads me to believe that removable tuning plates would be the best design but I'm not positive that I am correct here. :confused: Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't think you would need an 80 in" firebox.????? For offset a 24x24 shoyld be fine if you wanted to get real creative build a 24x24 firebox and set the cooker on top of firebox, I have built five of these ,work wonderful

I wouldn't think you would need an 80 in" firebox.????? For offset a 24x24 shoyld be fine if you wanted to get real creative build a 24x24 firebox and set the cooker on top of firebox, I have built five of these ,work wonderful

The whole cooking chamber is 80" long. I plan to make the firebox a 24" x 24" square. Do you have any pics of the cooker on top of the firebox? Just curious, sounds like more of a project than I'm prepared for.

Any advice on RF vs. tuning plates???

Also, is ther a certain type of metal I should use for the firebox?

Last edited:
Here you go I think the firebox is 18x21x 1/4 On you cooker you would need at least 24x24x1/4 firebox. On one as big as your you would nee a larger base to set firebox on
DSCN9827-1.jpg

Here's the one I built. The box on top of the fire box can be used as a warmer by closing the dampner or as a cooking chamber by opening it.

Attachments

• 20100923_129.jpg
    20100923_129.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Image04292011172640.jpg
    Image04292011172640.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Image04292011172911.jpg
    Image04292011172911.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 168
Back