• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

soul burger?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here in Seattle, back in the late '60s and lasting until maybe the mid-80s there was a famous restaurant owned by the former boxer Eddie Cotton. Eddie sold a real nice burger there called a Soul Burger which was in every way pretty normal but it had a hot link sliced lengthwise and grilled and put right on top of the burger. I and many of my friends learned to love a hot link on our burgers.

Fast forward to now. Lately I've been grinding chuck roast in search of the perfect burger. It strikes me that I could try a modern version of the SB by grinding hot sausage in with the chuck. That way it would be all mixed together but still taste like hamburger and hot sausage.

Would there be any problem cooking this? Both meats get done at about the same time, all that?

thanks

seattlepitboss

I mix pork/sausage of various kinds with ground chuck or sirloin all the time. I don't usually go more than 25-30% ish on the pork/sausage. no problems cooking although you will probably not end up with something any rarer the medium range. Resist the temptation to overcook as well.

Hot links are already cooked, I would see no problem here. Although, I would be concerned that mixing them would muddle the flavor.

Hmmm, this post made me a full fledged farker. I would note that some folks think I was before I ever got here.

I mix hot italian sausage and chop meat all the time. Nice zing !!!

Eddie Cotton's Soul Burgers kicked a$$!!

One time my dad took us kids to a Harlem Globetrotters game at Seattle U, and we stopped at Eddie Cottons afterwards, as we were eating the team bus pulled up and the staff brought out boxes of food for them and some of the players came in to thank the kitchen crew and signed some autographs for us.

Pecos Pit has had the sliced Hot Link as an add on to the beef or pork sandwiches forever. You used to ask them to "spike it"!

That sounds good. One question, when you say hot link are you referring to cased breakfast sausage? Or is it a brat or hot Italian? Or is it a smoked sausage?

Pork only needs to go to 155. Now where's the pics of the Soul Burgers?

For a long time now I have mixed ground chuck and ground bacon together for "Bacon Burgers". About a 3:1 ratio. I'm still kicking and mostly normal!!

NUTZ

Chuck if I have only one cut to use. 2:1 chuck to sirloin if I get two cuts.

Back