PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Po
rk shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not
be
separated during the cooking process. At no time s
hall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker.

So I understand correctly I cannot remove the money muscle from the butt while still on the smoker and then allow rest of butt to continue to cook?

Not this year :roll: I could be mistaken, but as I understand it, beginning next year there will be no weight minimum, and meat can be separated. There's another thread about it around here

Edit: this is the thread I was speaking of. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165608&highlight=pork+rule+2014

You are correct, with the rules as they stand now, you can not separate and return only one part (money muscle or the rest) to the cooker.

So I understand correctly I cannot remove the money muscle from the butt while still on the smoker and then allow rest of butt to continue to cook?
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Correct.

Just about to get into this whole comp thing so I don't understand the thoughts yet. Why would they feel the need for this rule anyway ???? Thx

now, can you cut it down so that it's over exposed, but still attached. Then pull that WHOLE BUTT off when the money muscle is where you want it.. just not use the rest of it..? if so, i'd toss $8 of butt back in the cooler to take home to get an extra portion of MM.

but, I could be wrong.

Just about to get into this whole comp thing so I don't understand the thoughts yet. Why would they feel the need for this rule anyway ???? Thx

It is possible to just cook a bunch of money muscles quickly, vs. tending a pork butt overnight, and that was considered to be by some 1) against the spirit of BBQ or 2) Cheating

The current rule is intended to force you to cook the whole pork butt.

The current rule could also be construed as inconsistent with the other meats, and possibly even a health risk since pork, once sliced or cut, could not "legally" be reheated even if it dropped to an unsafe temp.

The new rule is trying to preserve the spirit of the original rule ("cook a whole pork butt") while allowing the cook to the discretion do things like reheat pork, or remove parts of the butt at different temps.

Back