MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Awesome. I remember my first time; It wasn't great. I was stressed, nervous, worried, and didn't really enjoy it. But don't let that discourage you, practice makes perfect

Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Ron_L in this. KISS and you will be happy. I'll add a couple more suggestions.

First, try to keep temps from going too high at the start. Look up "Minion method" for starting charcoal (put a relatively small portion of lit charcoal on top of an unlit bed to get things started.) That will help to keep temps from running away.

When you close up the smoker, close two of the three bottom vents. That should provide plenty of air. In fact, on my first smoke on my 18.5 it was leaky enough to hold 250° with all bottom vents closed. As smoke residue builds up, it will become easier to control.

Do use water in the water bowl to help manage temperature. Lots of more experienced cooks here will recommend a foiled clay saucer or similar and I suggest getting comfortable with temperature control before you try that.

Good luck with that first smoke! (and remember - pictures or we won't believe you. )
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
SmokinSlowPoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Congrats on your WSM, I popped mine about 2 weeks ago and have been addicted ever since! If you listen to these guys you are bound to turn out some good Que and just remember its only the begining, no where to go but up!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Awesome. I remember my first time; It wasn't great. I was stressed, nervous, worried, and didn't really enjoy it. But don't let that discourage you, practice makes perfect
U talkin about ribs, or your honeymoon?
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Everyone else pretty much covered it, so I got nothing to add except have fun and enjoy the process. I'm just down rt 114 a couple towns from you and beef ribs will be on the cooker here on Sunday. Good Luck!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
BigHatBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

It's going to be great. Get a journal and take notes, it'll help you each time you look back and see what you did, what you liked, what you didn't like.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Have fun on your maiden voyage!!!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
Quint
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Everyone else pretty much covered it, so I got nothing to add except have fun and enjoy the process. I'm just down rt 114 a couple towns from you and beef ribs will be on the cooker here on Sunday. Good Luck!
Right off of RT. 114 near the mall not to far at all. I go to Casa Blanca all the time up by you.

WSM 22"
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Genesis E-330
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

+ 1 on the note taking/journal idea, I printed off log sheets from the VWBB (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html) and kept track of my first dozen or so smokes until I was confident enough to wing it.

Sometimes I wish I had carried on with this as there's always that time they turned out perfect you can't that recreate when not taking notes.

Have fun and enjoy your WSM - they do run better with beer in hand and a crazy lopsided smoke induced smile on your face!
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHatBBQ View Post
It's going to be great. Get a journal and take notes, it'll help you each time you look back and see what you did, what you liked, what you didn't like.
Thanks! I meant to say that and then forgot. You will improve faster if you do this.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE I go to Casa Blanca all the time up by you.[/QUOTE]

Azteca Cafe in Lawrence is my go to for Mexican food. Maybe a meet up for some chicken nachos and a couple of Negra Modelo's?
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
Quint
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfish View Post
+ 1 on the note taking/journal idea, I printed off log sheets from the VWBB (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html) and kept track of my first dozen or so smokes until I was confident enough to wing it.

Sometimes I wish I had carried on with this as there's always that time they turned out perfect you can't that recreate when not taking notes.

Have fun and enjoy your WSM - they do run better with beer in hand and a crazy lopsided smoke induced smile on your face!

I've already got my Excel spreadsheet ready to go.......

WSM 22"
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Genesis E-330

Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
Quint
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint
I go to Casa Blanca all the time up by you.
Azteca Cafe in Lawrence is my go to for Mexican food. Maybe a meet up for some chicken nachos and a couple of Negra Modelo's?

Sounds like a plan after I get a few smokes under my belt so we can compare notes...........

WSM 22"
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Genesis E-330

Last edited by Quint; 01-11-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
coolsterr
Got Wood.

WOW! this thread is full of lust...lost virginity,marvelous rubs,sweet seduction, "go gentle with the rub" !!!! i like this thread...

anywayz...congrats on your new WSM!!!

hymenoplasty is the answer..LOL
coolsterr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't forget to foil wrap your empty water pan so clean up doesn't suck. Good luck!