Prime Try-Tip at Costco

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
file-38.jpg

I found these Prime Try-Tips at Costco, we were having company over Sunday. I bought these on Saturday
file-40.jpg

file-41.jpg

Morro Bay Rich's Rub
file-43.jpg

I wanted to pick-up some flavor from the Rub so I slatherd with mustard
file-46.jpg

Then the Rub, into the fridge overnight
file-49.jpg

Out of the fridge and more Rub an hour before the cook
file-50.jpg

On the Egg with a raised grid @ 275* with avocado wood for smoke
file-52.jpg

When the interior temp. reached 110* I pulled and covered them while I brought the Egg up to searing Temp. 500*
file-53.jpg

Post seared until internal temp. was 125* then rested for 15-min.
file-54.jpg

Just right
file-56.jpg

file-57.jpg

Served with Rice melamine, Jackie's Cauliflower with a creamy cheese and crunchy bacon, Our neighbor Bill brought a great cold slaw. I really like seasoning the Try-Tip with mustard and a Rub the day before and the post searing, Tender and flavorful

Recipe:

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011
Santa Maria Style Tri-tipRichard Milleraka Morro Bay Rich
Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
Basting Sauce, recipe follows
Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons salt

( I used 2 t salt)

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
Basting Sauce:
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.
Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.
This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.
I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Thanks for looking

Ross

Excellent Ross, great job on the Tri-Tip. I have only been able to find Choice, would love to try some Prime. The rice melamine looks awesome also.

That meat looks sooo tasty. Never had or even seen a prime tri tip.

Can you tell me more about this rice dish? It looks really good also. I've got to bring a side to a get together this weekend, and am racking my brain coming up with something that's really good, AND would travel well.

Looks good

I wish I could jusst find some select tri-tip at our Costcos here in the mid west. They stopped selling tri-tip about a year and a half ago.

Great job Ross! Looks mighty tasty...

I'm going to have to check our Costco this weekend. Last time I looked they had choice for like $7.50/lb so another buck fitty would be well worth it for prime! :thumb:

Back