MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #5266
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Geeeeeesh just beat away on it. I took a perfectly good brand spanking new SS Domed lid and beat the crap out of it to fit my SS drum!!

Paul B
SS UDS
Pictures?????

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #5267
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

You DO know how to beat, don't you?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #5268
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellter View Post
Pictures?????
Pre beat:

Beaten, not shook...

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #5269
que dude
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wish I had a ss drum. There was a guy in another thread that was going to bury one half way in the ground and cook in it. Whats this world coming to.

[FONT=Arial]3 UDS -- Stoker controlled[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Weber kettle[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]KCBS Certified Judge[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
que dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #5270
Mirage_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Pre beat:

Beaten, not shook...

Paul B
SS UDS
What are the bolts for that are sticking through the beaten flat lip? Also and chance you would post a close-up pic of how the lid sits on the drum? I have a SS drum that I'm trying to decide what I'm going to use for a lid.
Mirage_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #5271
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_Man View Post
What are the bolts for that are sticking through the beaten flat lip? Also and chance you would post a close-up pic of how the lid sits on the drum? I have a SS drum that I'm trying to decide what I'm going to use for a lid.
IMO, this is the best way to make a dome lid fit
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78156

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #5272
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Rodney- That's the size U-bolt I went with. You don't need the plate, though. I've used the same thing in black oxide, which is loads cheaper, and I use SS acorn nuts on the outside. After it gets seasoned, I don't think anything inside the drum will rust. I'm of the 'build it right, build it once' school, so I usually spring for SS on the outside parts. McMaster-Carr is a great source for all kinds of hardware, and they are usually cheaper, although sometimes you are stuck buying a larger quantity. Titanium UDS parts, anyone?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #5273
Mirage_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Rodney- That's the size U-bolt I went with. You don't need the plate, though. I've used the same thing in black oxide, which is loads cheaper, and I use SS acorn nuts on the outside. After it gets seasoned, I don't think anything inside the drum will rust. I'm of the 'build it right, build it once' school, so I usually spring for SS on the outside parts. McMaster-Carr is a great source for all kinds of hardware, and they are usually cheaper, although sometimes you are stuck buying a larger quantity. Titanium UDS parts, anyone?
I agree with the " 'build it right, build it once'" mentality. I'll be using stainless hardware on mine as well. As to titanium? I work almost exclusively with titanium in one of my other hobbies and plan to incorporate some into my UDS build somewhere .
Mirage_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #5274
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I have 0 tools.....Well I only have screw drivers, hammers, and nails...maybe sand paper.

I have my eyes on a 55 gallon with a removable top, but havent pulled the trigger just yet. I'm calculating costs first.

What tools do I need to buy to build a super simple UDS?
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #5275
hath
On the road to being a farker

I know I made a build thread on this.. but though some might want to check it out... so anyway here you are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0110.jpg (60.9 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0112.jpg (49.9 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0114.jpg (51.4 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0115.jpg (50.5 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0116.jpg (49.8 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0117.jpg (64.9 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0123.jpg (49.7 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0124.jpg (30.3 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0125.jpg (48.1 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0126.jpg (56.6 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0128.jpg (42.2 KB, 796 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0130.jpg (42.6 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0133.jpg (52.8 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0134.jpg (58.3 KB, 799 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0135.jpg (62.3 KB, 802 views)
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #5276
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

VERY nice setup, hath! I love the covered but extremely handy intake, as well as the huge side table. What is the counter top made from?

I've yet to build my UDS, so forgive the uninformed question... do you notice any problems arising from the intake air all rushing in from one side? Uneven burning? If it was burning unevenly, would you even be able to tell? I've been meaning to ask this question... ;-)

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #5277
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post
I have 0 tools.....Well I only have screw drivers, hammers, and nails...maybe sand paper.

I have my eyes on a 55 gallon with a removable top, but havent pulled the trigger just yet. I'm calculating costs first.

im pretty sure you could get by with just a drill. you would have to buy a hole saw bit to cut the holes though. i saw a fire basket someone used that was sold in the clost section at home depot,( so no welding ). ask your neighbors if you need something you dont have. oh you'll need a tape measure.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #5278
UVaJester
Knows what a fatty is.

I finally got a chance to cut the top of my drum... Cleaned up the edges with the angle grinder and I'm picking up a BGE vent tomorrow. Pallets are piling up and I'm ready to do the burn out this weekend...

UVaJester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #5279
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post

Mostly you need to be able to drill a number of holes of various sizes. There are small ones for the bolts or whatever that you're going to use to hold your grates in place, then there are larger ones for intake and exhaust. You can control the size of your intakes with magnets. I suppose if you were going to 'McGyver one, you could punch holes with the hammer and screwdriver, bringing 'ugly' to a whole new level!

If you can beg/borrow/buy a cheap drill motor, Harbor Freight sells step drills for like $14 on sale that will drill all of your various sized holes.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #5280
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

your gonna love it

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker