How many use commercial rubs/seasonings for vending/catering

JoeMap

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, I have another thread where I detailed my inexperience with catering an event.

As the thread title asks: How many doing vending or catering use commercial rubs/seasoning?

In my recent event, I used Yardbird on the Pork Loin, along with a rub one of my friends has developed that is commercially produced in St. Louis and he buys it by the 50 lb container.

What do you do? Commercial or create your own like my friend has done? I feel like one of those is probably the best simply to maintain consistent results.

Thanks,

Joe

I agree with these brethren. At some point you need to make your own profile. Using commercial rubs is fine for backyard cooking but if you're trying to find your niche in the public sector you really need to have your own flavor.

I'll give you an example of what normally happens if you don't. We used to be in a trade days show in Arcadia, LA once a month. There was a guy there that had a "BBQ Barn" as one of the concessions. He served pulled pork sammies, pulled pork nachos, pork ribs etc. Long story short he used sweet baby rays as his sauce and a commercial rub (I think famous Dave's) as his seasoning. He's now closed. I literally heard people saying "This tastes like sweet baby rays sauce" or "I've got this seasoning at the house". When people come to buy from you they want something they can't get at their house.

BBQ Bubba is correct I think. That being said I have not had the time to set down and really spend some time working on a rub. It always seems like something I'll start in a month or two if ya know what I mean. Until I do, I use Dizzy Pig Rubs on my meats and make no secret about it. I even sell it (DP Rubs) from my trailer when doing concessions (which is not often these days). I do however make all my own sauces.

Thanks, everyone. I guess I have a lot more work to do. Experimenting should be fun. :biggrin1:

Joe

The biggest problem with using seasoning mixes, and let's be honest here, a BBQ rub is really just a seasoning mix, is that your success is somewhat dependent upon that seasoning mix. If you are buying a bulk mix, and for some reason, often cost, the recipe changes, your food changes.

By controlling the seasoning mix yourself, you control the end product as well.

As an outsider, I think these fellas gave you some very sound advice. Lately it seems I've been to a number of BBQ joints for lunch because I'm in sales and my customers have chosen BBQ for a meeting. I'm very tired of all of the larger joints. They all taste commercially made. The little "Mom & Pops" are where I enjoy. They have their own taste. This forum has a number of great "off the grid" rubs and sauce recipes to start with. Good luck to you!

This forum has a number of great "off the grid" rubs and sauce recipes to start with. Good luck to you!

This is true. I tend to forget about the recipes.

Two weeks ago, I did a 4-rub comparison with pork steaks to try to decide which I liked best. They were all good but the SPOG was my least favorite. I'll look at the recipe section to begin to develop the taste I like most.

Once you've developed your particular rub(s) and sauces, is that something you have mass produced like my friend does with his rub?. I mentioned above that he orders it by the 50 lb container. Not sure who makes it for him, though.

Joe

Quote;
Once you've developed your particular rub(s) and sauces, is that something you have mass produced like my friend does with his rub?. I mentioned above that he orders it by the 50 lb container. Not sure who makes it for him, though.

I think it becomes a matter of economics and time at that point. Hopefully for you, you have to have it produced by the truckloads... Lol!!!

The biggest problem with using seasoning mixes, and let's be honest here, a BBQ rub is really just a seasoning mix, is that your success is somewhat dependent upon that seasoning mix. If you are buying a bulk mix, and for some reason, often cost, the recipe changes, your food changes.

By controlling the seasoning mix yourself, you control the end product as well.

BINGO!!!! :biggrin1:

Commercial rubs tend to be more consistent and sometimes more cost effective. But that being said....if it tastes like what they cook at home...you arent going to stand out. I use a commercial rub but add some of my own seasonings to it to make it a little different.

Here is a pretty good all purpose rub to get you started creating your own flavor.
Makes about 1 cup:
4 TBSP Kosher salt
2 TBSP White granulated sugar
2 TBSP Brown sugar
2 TBSP Chili Powder
2 TBSP Paprika
1 TBSP Cumin
1 TBSP Granulated garlic
1 TBSP course black pepper
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper.
Use this as a base, then add or subtract from there.
Hope this helps.

Back