MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
What is "wrap to color"?
Some people feel the need to wrap after the outside hits a certain color such a mahogany brown. They cook until the outside has the color they want and then wrap to keep it from further darkening. The fallacy is that a brown bark is better than a darker bark or that a dark bark is burnt.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Not sure why the PBC would cause an uproar. If your setup exposes the brisket to the glowing coals, you may need to wrap to protect it from charring. If you have a deflector or barrier, you shouldn't have to wrap.

Wrapping won't necessarily make it more moist. It does reduce evaporation which allows the meat to heat up faster and therefore cook faster, but hotter meat also means more moisture squeezed out of the muscle fibers. If I am not behind schedule, I don't give a hoot about a stall and I don't wrap briskets. If it looks like getting it done in time for dinner is in question, I wrap and up the temp to speed things along. It is a tool that can help you but is usually unnecessary.
Sounds like solid advice. I'm going to try again without the wrap. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

This thread is full of absolutes

the best bark is the bark an individual prefers. Maybe i dont like it hard and crispy

Also some things work for people and cant be explained why. Wrapping, venting, resting we do what works......my brisket comes oit best when i flip them.....so i do.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #19
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
This thread is full of absolutes

...the best bark is the bark an individual prefers. .
Is that an absolute? :)

Agree. Do what you and your family/guests like the most.

I personally cook to the color I like, vent for a few minutes during the wrap, and finish in foil. I also vent a few minutes after it is at the texture/temp I am happy with.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

My previous brisket attempts were just flats from Walmart of unknown quality, and my bbq skills weren't honed. But it was enough to make me brisket-shy for a couple years. So I resolved to get quality brisket from Costco and wrap. Better result but not perfect.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #21
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Another non wrapper here. It's just a matter of preference.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

If you are using Kingsford and a majority of the "K's" are facing downward left, that can also lead to a mushy bark.

Upward right facing K's will produce a hotter heat source and allow the sugar in your rub to bark up better.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #23
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

I used to put way too much seasoning on a brisket and when I wrapped, it always got mushy. When I learned to put the right amount of seasoning and let the bark set, I never have a problem with mushy bark when wrapping. That's my $0.02.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #24
Sidd Finch
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Chicago View Post
If you are using Kingsford and a majority of the "K's" are facing downward left, that can also lead to a mushy bark.

Upward right facing K's will produce a hotter heat source and allow the sugar in your rub to bark up better.
And make sure you buy only left-handed briskets, right?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #25
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Some people feel the need to wrap after the outside hits a certain color such a mahogany brown. They cook until the outside has the color they want and then wrap to keep it from further darkening. The fallacy is that a brown bark is better than a darker bark or that a dark bark is burnt.
Some prefer a brown bark. Some dont. Its a personal thing. Were not here to tell what is right or wrong on a personal preference, were here to help.

As for the bark I suggest going with paper or giving a proper amount of time after the foil to let it set back up. I personally love butcher paper to the point I dont use foil very often anymore
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #26
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Butcher paper interests me but kind of expensive isn't it? Where's a good place to get some?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #27
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I grabbed mine at gordon food service. It is a fraction of the cost of foil. If you bbq as a hobby and not a living I think the roll will last you about a decade
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #28
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

OK thanks. Guess I was wrong.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #29
McSpazatron
is one Smokin' Farker

I also prefer mine nekid. As long as you keep temps low enough to prevent burning, you will have good dark mahagony to black bark and it shouldnt get get burnt/charred. Some edges of these the flat might get dry, but that you can just add that to any chopped brisket you end up making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Did you let it cool unwrapped for 5-10 minutes before holding? Need to make sure the temp comes down enough to stop cooking.
I agree that letting the brisket vent off some of the heat after before pulling it from the smoker helps. Because if you keep it wrapped after pulling it, you run a good chance that the bark will stick to the paper/foil. This is especially important if your bark is built on a thin fat foundation (like mine). Like m-fine said, it will still keep cooking during the hold, and that is a good thing.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #30
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Butcher paper interests me but kind of expensive isn't it? Where's a good place to get some?
Grocery store paper bags, or the paper bags from Home Depot in the trash bag aisle do the same. That way you an try "paper wrap" without having to buy a whole roll of butcher paper.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bark, brisket