MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #31
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
That would be Florida Skin and Bones I think. A very respected team and vendor on the competition circuit.

To address your comments 1/3 of a lb of brisket and 2 bones for $8 is very reasonable price for events. Here's the breakdown of costs - 46 cents goes to the State, if it's like Silver Lake then $1.60 goes to the organizer. So they got less than $6 of your money. You need to pay off part of fixed costs such as your rig, HD inspections, all the supplies needed during the year. And your direct costs are about $2 and then there's labor costs so if the vendor made $1 on that order they did pretty good.

I charge $ 6 or 7 for a 3 rib sampler at these contests. A brisket sandwich is $6. I make a little after paying all the costs. Also I cook vending Q not competition Q. It's way better than the average person can ever make. I do have other team's members come up for food on Friday if nobody is doing a pot luck.

My suggestion is that you don't plan to eat at the contest from now on. And I think you owe an apology to Florida Skin and Bones. It's bad enough you cut them up but you can't even remember their name.
Ford-
You make a good point, and your wording was well put. I probably should have typed a bit less out of "anger" and realized there must be a lot of cost behind their efforts. Florida Skin and Bones may have caught wrath unjustified, but I felt that for a steep amount of money two people should be able to eat off the plate. I fully understand now I could have been a bit less rash and I better appreciate how hard it must be to make a buck for them. You felt an apology may be warranted, but I'm not so sure I can do that whole heartedly. I will say I, under new circumstances, was a bit out of line calling it a dump. That was harsh and I will apologize for that. However, I think at $8 for a plate, a bit more like another rib (they were awfully small) and a bit more brisket (which was shredded and appeared to be only about 3 tablespoons full) would have been appropriate. I'd have been ok with $8.50 or $9 with more food or even a bag of potato chips.
I hope you are able to understand a bit more where I'm at on this one. I am in better view of your points on this and I thank you for the input.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #32
sewerrat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerjamie15 View Post
Ford-
You make a good point, and your wording was well put. I probably should have typed a bit less out of "anger" and realized there must be a lot of cost behind their efforts. Florida Skin and Bones may have caught wrath unjustified, but I felt that for a steep amount of money two people should be able to eat off the plate. I fully understand now I could have been a bit less rash and I better appreciate how hard it must be to make a buck for them. You felt an apology may be warranted, but I'm not so sure I can do that whole heartedly. I will say I, under new circumstances, was a bit out of line calling it a dump. That was harsh and I will apologize for that. However, I think at $8 for a plate, a bit more like another rib (they were awfully small) and a bit more brisket (which was shredded and appeared to be only about 3 tablespoons full) would have been appropriate. I'd have been ok with $8.50 or $9 with more food or even a bag of potato chips.
I hope you are able to understand a bit more where I'm at on this one. I am in better view of your points on this and I thank you for the input.
Maybe we can get cost breakdown of the $17 first pitcher of beer, $15 for refills, and $2 for a wristband for the privilege of drinking beer . . . that is what turned me off most about the Gig.

On a side note, I did spend quite a bit of time looking at all the competitors setups. I probably spent 2 hours walking around and looking at all the amazing work being done. It seemed most had friends/family along, so I didn't interrupt the artists at work.

Congrats to all
sewerrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #33
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Maybe we can get cost breakdown of the $17 first pitcher of beer, $15 for refills, and $2 for a wristband for the privilege of drinking beer . . . that is what turned me off most about the Gig.

On a side note, I did spend quite a bit of time looking at all the competitors setups. I probably spent 2 hours walking around and looking at all the amazing work being done. It seemed most had friends/family along, so I didn't interrupt the artists at work.

Congrats to all
I noticed the beer prices when we were sitting at the award ceremony, but I thought it was $13 for a pitcher and $12 for a refill. Still a lot considering the size of the pitchers.

You should have stopped to say hi! I can normally spare a few minutes for a Brother. If I can't, I'll let you know and ask you to come back in a few minutes.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote