Needing some help deciding

Sticks-n-chicks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am new to smokin but the bug has bitten pretty hard and I am now looking to go from 2 bullet smokers to a trailer smoker. Here is my dilema. Tight on cash (aren't we all) I have been looking at the following smokers

1. http://www.easttexassmokercompany.com/rk250.htm The RK250 with warming box (do I need it)

2. http://www.diamondplatepits.com/ Series 60

Both have good references and seem like real good guys and our close in price.

- What are you thoughts on box smokers vs. tank smokers?

- What should I be looking for?

- What should I watch out for?

I would welcome any comments and suggestions.

Thanks.

Will

Last edited:
Do you have any thoughts on competing? If you do I have a few ideas to throw at you.

I do not know about either one of those but I like my stick burner- Meadow Creek TS120 with the chicken cooker. Good luck. I do understand tight on cash

Everyone at The Smoke Ring raves about DPP cookers. And Travis the owner is a really nice guy.

I have a Lang mobile 60 with warming box for sale $2500, 1 year old and in excellent condition. Heres the only pic i could find on my computer. I'm just across town if you would like to come take a look at it.
picture.php

I have a Lang mobile 60 with warming box for sale $2500, 1 year old and in excellent condition. Heres the only pic i could find on my computer. I'm just across town if you would like to come take a look at

Thats a great looking smoker! Why are you selling it?

Thats a great looking smoker! Why are you selling it?
We have been using our Drum smokers more and more at compititions and I could use the money to upgrade the trailer we work out of. I know I will regret selling it after its gone but I just can't justify keeping it.

I know a team out here in UT that is using the RK250. He seems to like it and it looks turns out some good Q.

I have a Lang mobile 60 with warming box for sale $2500, 1 year old and in excellent condition. Heres the only pic i could find on my computer. I'm just across town if you would like to come take a look at it.
picture.php
I've got a Lang 60 Patio version (same cooker without the trailer & warming box)... Give them a look at: http://www.pigroast.com/index.html

I've had her since February and have determined that she is the best cooker that I've ever cooked on! The only reason I went with the patio rather than the trailer is that I like having her along side the house when I'm cooking for me & my catering... I have a 6x10 trailer that she fit's into with space to spare for traveling to comps.

Ride over to PigPen's and take a look at her... Even call Ben (@ Lang Mfg) if you want.

There's a lot of Diamond Plate Smokers here in Az and everyone loves them.

Thats the best advice in the entire thread!
I would normally agree, but you can trust us Lang guys (man, I'm going to get slamed for that statement... lol)

Actually, that's how I found the Lang... I went to a couple of comps and actually got to pit bi#$% for Walt and Tonto... Knew by the end of the comp that the Lang was for me!

So trust me... you want the Lang!

You could build a stable of drum smokers for a couple hundred bucks if you are seriously tight on dough... they'll crank out competition grade `Q and many teams have won GC's using them.

We use three drums: An 85gal one for Brisket & Pork... and two 55gals (one for ribs, one for chicken). Different wood in each one.

The best advice was to go to a cookoff and chat with each pitmaster and see what they like about their cookers. Especially the ones that have won alot!

also see what they don't like or if they would change something about their pit, and if so, what would it be?

I would normally agree, but you can trust us Lang guys (man, I'm going to get slamed for that statement... lol)

Actually, that's how I found the Lang... I went to a couple of comps and actually got to pit bi#$% for Walt and Tonto... Knew by the end of the comp that the Lang was for me!

So trust me... you want the Lang!
Thats how i found my Lang too. I went to a comp with a couple buddies to see a friend that was competing and low and behold he had a Lang. It was love at first site. Two weeks later mine was on order.

Back