• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs.... Wrap or not?

Ringburner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of a thread regarding the above topic. I've always wrapped but I'd love to simplify my system.....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Can't think of any threads right off the bat, but I never wrap. What I do is put the rub on, let 'em sweat, throw 'em in the cooker at my preferred temp (270-290, maybe 300), cook 'till tender - can be 3 or 4 hours. I know they're tender a few different ways:

1)the bend test - pick 'em up in the middle and the ends flop pretty much straight down, but not falling apart - or grab 'em on one side and make kind of an "L" by lifting that side.

2)toothpick test - toothpick slides in with little to no resistance

3)twist a bone - if it's pretty loose, it's tender.

That's it!

Oh - look up barbafunkoramacue's (not sure if that's spelled right) "Hot and Fast Weeping Ribs" and do that.

I don't wrap Ribs! I do cook mine around 300 deg, I don't pull the membrane, Normal time on BB and St. Louis 3.5-4 hrs they look like this
bendtest.jpg

I just did some Wednesday and didn't foil. Just went about 4 hours on 2 racks of baby backs at 225* +/- ...came out great. About as simple as it gets.

gtr summed up most everything I searched and read before I did mine, so I'd go with that!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
C'mon... Be a lazy farker like me and forget foiling. 4hrs at 300F should do it but the best advice has already been given above- learn a good test for doneness and run with it. I tired of taking forever to cook ribs.

That's all the convincing I need!
The two racks on my wsm are the last ones I'll ever wrap!

Anything that frees up time to sit by the pool and sip something tasty can only be good!

Cheers all

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I foiled ribs for the first time on my last cook and was not fully satisfied with the results. I usually cook at 225-250 for about 6 hours in a WSM with a decent rub and that's it. I don't sauce either. I often sauce when I reheat them and I always serve with sauce for those who prefer it, but many like the ribs just the way they come off the smoker.

Neither do I mop. I like to close the smoker and keep it that way until they ribs are done.

Give it a try!

I am a wrapper. Like above, try both and do what you like best!

Wrapping is like a patch, a tool for those who like to boil or steam their ribs into falling off the bone. After all... when you wrap, the ribs ARE steaming in the foil... I like a little bite in mine so i dont foil

Ringburner, you need to make up your own mind which you prefer. You can make a perfectly cooked, flavorful rib either way. It depends on cook time, time in the foil, etc. I do both depending on my mood and who I am cooking for. At competitions I typically foil and use that opportunity to get some extra flavor into the ribs because that is what typically scores better with the judges around here.. At home I typically don't foil because that's what I prefer. Either way I do it the ribs come out well and are not falling off the bone unless I want them cooked that way.

As someone suggested, try some without foil and see how you like them. Then try some with foil and see how you like them and make up your own mind.

Ringburner, you need to make up your own mind which you prefer. You can make a perfectly cooked, flavorful rib either way. It depends on cook time, time in the foil, etc. I do both depending on my mood and who I am cooking for. At competitions I typically foil and use that opportunity to get some extra flavor into the ribs because that is what typically scores better with the judges around here.. At home I typically don't foil because that's what I prefer. Either way I do it the ribs come out well and are not falling off the bone unless I want them cooked that way.

As someone suggested, try some without foil and see how you like them. Then try some with foil and see how you like them and make up your own mind.
Ok so how do your get more naturally sweet swine flavor into a rib? I thought it was all about the meat.:doh:

I thought it was all about the meat.:doh:

Have you cooked any KCBS competitions? It's all about what scores well with the judges, and in the midwest that is a perfectly cooked rib with a balance of sweet, heat and meat. It may vary in different areas on the country.

I don't wrap. Or trim, except to remove the membrane.
Done.jpg

PSribs.jpg

Back