MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #11356
Toadly_Smoked
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
Believe it or not, it is easier to level your cooking rack with 3 bolts instead of 4. I used 3 U bolts.
I knew that.
Toadly_Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #11357
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

My wack at building a UDS... Working on it piece by piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.0 KB, 673 views)

Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #11358
bvbull200
Take a breath!

I'm only on page #58, but I'm trying to get through this entire thread before I start bugging everyone too much with build questions.

That said, I need to ask this now while I can. How do these drums look for building an UDS? I've been trying to find something with a removable lid and that wouldn't require much work to be ready to cook on (not having to remove liners and such). Think one good burn inside one of these could do the trick and I could start building?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/4005434921.html

It is the only step that I'm really hesitant about. Any help finding a good drum source in Dallas/Fort Worth is appreciated! Hopefully I'll get one built in the next month or so.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #11359
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
I'm only on page #58, but I'm trying to get through this entire thread before I start bugging everyone too much with build questions.

That said, I need to ask this now while I can. How do these drums look for building an UDS? I've been trying to find something with a removable lid and that wouldn't require much work to be ready to cook on (not having to remove liners and such). Think one good burn inside one of these could do the trick and I could start building?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/4005434921.html

It is the only step that I'm really hesitant about. Any help finding a good drum source in Dallas/Fort Worth is appreciated! Hopefully I'll get one built in the next month or so.
It's perfect, get to building!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #11360
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Thanks. I sent a note to the seller and will pick up two if they are available.

Probably worth doing a burn in them anyways, I suppose, but they look good!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #11361
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Ok, first post- be gentle with me. I have been from one end of this thread to the other and I have a question. There seems to be a general consensus that it's hard to have too much exhaust using 8 holes or standard 2" bungs. But you have folk hammering, adjusting, clamping and using oven proof gasket to seal the lid.

I made my drum(s) both with flat lids- one fits so tightly I have to use a chunk of 2x4 to loosen it- does not show any smoke from around the edges. The other has wispies of smoke from the edges but is really easy to take on and off. They both seem to cook equally well- and I don't have issues holding temps.

Am I missing something about the need /benefit of having a super well fitting lid?

thanks all.
The only real problem is that when you go to shut it down it will just keep hovering at around 150* for days if you can't starve it of oxygen.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #11362
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
It's perfect, get to building!
Doesn't look like it is going to happen. They are only available M-F, 8-5, which happens to be the only time I'm not available.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #11363
banderson1357
Found some matches.

This will be my first reply on any forum, I'm getting younger I think! Not sure at all what your using or tools available but just an idea. If you are going to put legs on the top grate, just let them stand on the bottom grate. That's what I did but I had expanded metal for grates and a welder to attach legs. Food for thought. That way the u-bolts won't get in the way removing the bottom grate.

QUOTE=Toadly_Smoked;2617214]Doing some homework to build the "Ultimate UDS". This is what I am thinking now, what do you "UDS Masters" think.

Starting with a 55 gal drum and do the normal, burn, wire wheel and paint.

Now instead of using bolts to support the rack, use 4 Ubolts. Then make a second rack with legs that will sit into the Ubolts.

Anythoughts?[/QUOTE]
banderson1357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #11364
lavinjj
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
Doesn't look like it is going to happen. They are only available M-F, 8-5, which happens to be the only time I'm not available.
I got my barrels from the same guy, and they are perfect for making a UDS. I've built 4 so far and they sure do make it a lot easier than dealing with a liner.

If you want I can pick you one up and you can swing by and grab it. I live in Lewisville, don't know how far a drive that is for you. PM me your phone number and we can work something out.
lavinjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #11365
Bigmista

Like it was said before, a super tight fitting lid is only important for shutting down after the cook. I once lost my lid on the way to a contest (long story) and ended up cooking with a piece of plywood with a hole in it for a lid. Worked just fine, holding temps in the wind and rain.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #11366
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavinjj View Post
I got my barrels from the same guy, and they are perfect for making a UDS. I've built 4 so far and they sure do make it a lot easier than dealing with a liner.

If you want I can pick you one up and you can swing by and grab it. I live in Lewisville, don't know how far a drive that is for you. PM me your phone number and we can work something out.
Man...that'd be great! I have one other place in Garland that I am checking on, but don't seem to be getting a very prompt response. I like having your testimonial, though, that these other barrels will do the trick.

I'll PM you my info. Lewisville is about 25-30 minutes from me. I'd be very willing to swing by on a weekend to pick one up from you.

Thanks a bunch for the offer to help.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #11367
Knows what a fatty is.

At what temperature should the tan liner burn off? I had the drum glowing last night and you can still see liner in there.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #11368
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 068 View Post
At what temperature should the tan liner burn off? I had the drum glowing last night and you can still see liner in there.
They don't always burn out. That is the big reason most say to stay away from them if possible. Some have had luck with a chemical stripper (Kleen Strip or something like that), others have resorted to either wire wheel/grinder or sandblasting.

I would recommend checking around and see what a shop would be willing to blast it for. Shouldn't be more than $40-$50. Some even do it for as low as $20. Check Powder Coating shops if a search for sandblasters doesn't bring anything local up, that is what I had to do.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #11369
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
They don't always burn out. That is the big reason most say to stay away from them if possible. Some have had luck with a chemical stripper (Kleen Strip or something like that), others have resorted to either wire wheel/grinder or sandblasting.

I would recommend checking around and see what a shop would be willing to blast it for. Shouldn't be more than $40-$50. Some even do it for as low as $20. Check Powder Coating shops if a search for sandblasters doesn't bring anything local up, that is what I had to do.
Thanks. I went back to the company that I got it from and told them what happened. I now have a new, unlined barrel and the one with the liner in it. No extra cost.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #11370
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 068 View Post
Thanks. I went back to the company that I got it from and told them what happened. I now have a new, unlined barrel and the one with the liner in it. No extra cost.
Now you have one for smoking dead animals and one for hiding and disposing of dead humans! Lucky!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker