Motorcycle Travel and BBQ

vstar

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey gang! I'm going to be taking a motorcycle trip for Memorial Day this year. A bunch of us are getting together in Kentucky. I've volunteered to smoke a couple briskets. But since I can't take the smoker, I have to smoke them at home, then take them with me.

My thought was to smoke them for about 7-8 hours, then wrap them up and hit the road. The next day, pop them in the oven for a couple more hours to bring them up to temperature. Is this a reasonable action? If not, what would you suggest?

How are you going to keep them stored on the bike?? Refrigeration until the next day? That's a long time to be in the danger zone, isn't it? How were you thinking of doing this? More info, please. :grin:

What options will you have for reheating?

A surefire method is to use a foodsaver to zip the meat and then reheat it in boiling water. The bonus is the can be done thawed or from frozen (which might help with your transport).

How are you going to keep them stored on the bike?? Refrigeration until the next day? That's a long time to be in the danger zone, isn't it? How were you thinking of doing this? More info, please. :grin:

I have hard saddle bags that I can place the meat in. My plan was to pull them off the smoker early in the morning, wrap plastic wrap and foil put them in the saddle bags then go. The trip is about six hours. Once there they'd go into the fridge until the next day.

Alternatively, I could smoke them the day before and put them in my fridge overnight then put them in the saddle bags and pack with cool packs for the trip.

4 hours between 40 and 140 and they are trash. I think you would want to fully cook them the first time, pack em in ice the next day (ziplocked with all the juice) and reheat later.

("Danger zone" refers to the surface temp more than the internal food temp when cooking. If your smoker is over 175F, the internal temp of the meat is not a factor. that confuses people sometimes)

I have put ice in my hard saddle bags in the past

I have a soft cooler bag made by California Innovations that straps easily to my bike. It will hold your briskets and is insulated so it will keep them cool. It's also leak proof so you can put ice in it. Google "California Innovations": mine is the thermal tote. Walmart and Sam's Club sell them, and I'm sure there are other companies that make similar products. Good luck.

Cook ahead of time and food saver then freeze. Pack in ice in the saddle bags (3 or four garbage bags just to be sure if you don't want any leaks). I had hard bags and would transport cold items this way with no problems. The other option is a soft cooler as mentioned strapped tight somewhere. Again, pack in ice.

Since you aren't planning on eating it that day there's no reason to try and transport it hot. Plus then getting started on your trip isn't dependent on what gremlins decided to get into your pit overnight AND you can get a good nights sleep; keeping both wheels down being the most important thing!

Thanks everyone! Fully cooked then refrigerated it is! I think I have a soft sided thermal carrier. If not, I can use a smaller cooler and strap it to the luggage rack. I appreciate all the advise!

Back