SoCal Farkers - Annual Christmas/Holiday Charity Cook Sat. Dec. 8

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
For the past several years, some most excellent SoCal farkers and myself have been cooking lunch for a few hundred folks at the Watts Boys and Girls Club. It's for a nonprofit group called Peace4Kids in conjunction with Foster Care Counts and it's an event for foster families.

We've been serving pulled pork, turkey, Keri's Hog Apple Beans, slaw, and collard greens - we'll probably be sticking with that again, as folks seem to enjoy it. Bigmista's turkey is usually the star of the meal, but since he's in Oregon now, it'll be time to figure out something else...like trying to convince Neil to come down here and cook turkey. :becky:

It's always a great time to hang out with my Brethren brothers and sistren and we definitely mow down some breakfast and have lots of laughs. Anybody wanna come help out, we'd love to have you. They have a really nice mobile kitchen on site, which comes in super handy.

Date is Saturday December 8

Place is 1339 E. 120th St. Los Angeles, CA 90059

Not sure when lunch service is yet, but it's usually from around 11am - 2pm, broken up into 2 sessions. I plan on getting there at 7am.

a few threads from past cooks:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200296

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238896

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253784

Anybody wanna come join us, holler!

I'll have to see if I can work it with my regular Saturday night gig, but I'd love to help out.

Addendum: Vanessa says she'd love to lend a hand, too.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I should be able to make it again this year. Need to look at my schedule and run it past Nancy.

• Thanks
I'll have to see if I can work it with my regular Saturday night gig, but I'd love to help out.

Addendum: Vanessa says she'd love to lend a hand, too.

Hope y'all can make it - we'd love to have you guys! You should be done well before the evening. We're usually out by early/mid afternoon.

I should be able to make it again this year. Need to look at my schedule and run it past Nancy.

Hope it works out Marty! Always a great hang & a massive, massive help!

As long as I don't end up with a Friday night gig, we're there. I'll roast some coffee and bring a grinder. 7 am is too damn early (even though I'm at work an hour before that every day — Still too early).

• Thanks
^^^we'll take whatever we can get - if y'all wanna slide in later, it's all good! There's prep and cooking early on, and when service starts it's all about slicing turkey and keeping the serving line stocked. And making sure SmokinJohn gets all the purple cabbage he needs. :becky:

Wish I could join y'all and help out with this real great cause.

^^^well we'll just have to make that happen! :hungry:

Hope it works it - it's always great having y'all there.

Bump to say the wife and I are making this a priority to be at this event, may have my daughter and father too but yet tbd

• Thanks
^^^Thanks for the bumps!...wait...that sounds a little odd...:shocked:

Anyway - looks like a great crew coming together - any other SoCal farkers wanna join in, holler! We have a great time at this event. And maybe a few snacks. :hungry:

Great of you to do this every year, Greg. :cool:
I'd be there if possible!

• Thanks
Great of you to do this every year, Greg. :cool:
I'd be there if possible!

Helping kids while hanging with some incredible folks is a great way to spend a Saturday in December!

Open invite to both you fine folks! Good for eternity! And as Charles says - yeah, when there's a room full of folks happily eating, hanging out, Christmas music playing, kids running around and having fun - that's some pretty cool chit right there, which is made even cooler by hanging out with Brethren brothers and sistren.

Kind of an interesting development...the mobile kitchen is apparently not functional at the moment and probably won't be ready for us, so we'll have to do it like the first year - cook at casa de gtr, transport, serve on site.

In a way, it helps with a couple things, i.e. it'll make cooking the turkeys easier and less stuff for me to load and transport (pots, pans, etc.). I'll still do the pork ahead of time and vac-seal and reheat on site, that way we don't have to fark with pulling it in the middle of everything. Turkey and sides will get cooked in the A.M. and we'll look to get to the site about 10:15 or 10:30am, which will give us an hour to set up our prep tables and the line.

So - a we'll need a couple/few folks at the house, and we'll definitely need hands on site for slicing lots of turkey, keeping the line stocked, serving, etc. I'll be figuring out specifics in the next days.

Looks like we're looking at 400 or so folks, but mostly women and children, so I'll be adjusting amounts accordingly.

Thanks for the PM Greg,
As you know I'm rarely in Q-Talk so I might have missed this thread.

For those wondering if this is something you might want to do, just want to say that getting to see all these children that are in foster care enjoy their day with games, face painting, Santa and yes, BBQ, you will be soo blessed by seeing all the smiling faces :becky: Besides the fact that we have a great time hanging out.

My calendar is clear, count me in. :thumb: (The tricky part will be keeping it that way):doh:

Back