MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
bosshawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

Default propane burner

looking to get a propane burner to do steamed clams ,corn on the cob and various other things.does anybody have any suggestions or how many btu's i should get.this is for a small smoker business thanks tom
bosshawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Bayou Classic makes a good one. Just be carefull to get one with a sturday base, and lot of the tripod ones are pretty unstable

As for how many BTU's, what size pot are you planning on using?

http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Print_...alog(2012).pdf
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
bosshawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

i think a 30 qt
bosshawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
teej
On the road to being a farker

Go to Amazon and read some of the customer reviews on these products. Many people use them for things like canning and home brewing. I think most of the folks buying them for this purpose get 60,000 btu, but say since they burn so hot, they're not good for much else. Camp Chef makes a 2 burner stove that has a 30,000 btu and a 60,000 btu burner for $100.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
bartman
Found some matches.

I have a bayou classic model KAB6 about 135.00 bucks. I use it with a 63 qt stainless pot and it will do what you are questioning about. I think the btu's are over 300,000 so I can assure you it will do a low country boil, boil peanuts, or whatever..
hope this helps...
bartman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

The next question is stainless or aluminium pot? What do you guys suggest for beans and do heating beans on a burner require a different pot than boiling water for various uses?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
teej

I always use Cast Iron for outdoor cooking, but I don't think the type of pot really matters that much.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I have the Bayou stainless steel model 1114. It is rated for a 100 qt. pot and boils water in a 60 qt pot at zero degrees in 20 mph winds. We use if for boiling chicken at our little park.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
FltEng

I have the KAB6 and love it but I'm usually doing boils using an 80 or 120 qt. If your pot is not too big get KAB4--these burners supply an even heat unlike jet and single burner, burners which concentrate the heat in the center of the pot. Actually put a hole in an aluminium pot with a jet type of burner.

Pit Barrel Cooker with AF logo
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
[B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange [/COLOR][/B]Thermapen
Maverick ET-732 (2)
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote