MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default High Heat / Low Heat combo brisket, with Pron of course

My first attempt at a high heat brisket came out pretty good, but was lacking a little in the smokey flavor that I love so much. First experiment can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62365

I'm doing two things different for this attempt. I'm going to go low and slow at 225 until I hit an internal temp of 140, then ramp the smoker up to 325. I'm hoping this will improve the smokey flavor. I'm also injecting this time since I made up a bunch of Dr. BBQ's beef injection for tomorrow's chuckies.
So here is the game plan:
1) 225 smoker temp until brisket hits 140.
2) Raise smoker temp to 325-345 until brisket hits 160, then foil for 90 minutes (I swear my next attempt I won't use foil Popdaddy, I promise!)
3) Remove foil to firm up the bark, and bump temps up a bit to 340-350 until tender.

The meat: 14 lb choice packer (previously frozen). Injected with Dr. BBQ's beef
injection.

Locked and loaded at 10:20AM. My standard sugar free rub.

1:40PM and internal temp is 140 degrees. Added a little more rub and opened all the vents to ramp to 325. I'm using the sand mod this time, so had to prop the access door a while to get the temps up.

My Fuel: Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Probably my favorite IPA, although technically it's a double or imperial IPA. Just a wonderful beer.

3:30PM, internal temp is 160 so time to foil.

After removing the foil, added about 1/2 cup of defatted juice to a jar of Head's Red BBQ sauce. This BBQ sauce was sent to me by brother Bill as part of a trade, and I believe is made by another Brethren, but I forgot who Bill told me that makes it. It was very good!

Pulled at 6:45PM with internal temps around 203, probe tender.

Sliced up. Very nice bark, what I was shooting for.

Served up with some tomato, cucumber and vidalia onion salad. Some fresh dill and basil from the herb garden thrown in.

The verdict: I was very happy with how it came out. All that smokey flavor that was missing from my last high heat brisket experiment was there. Still got a 14 lb. packer done in under 10 hours, so I think I'm going to stick with this method. Next time I'm skipping the foil to make Popdaddy happy and I'll compare.

That's all!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice brisket and repot, thanks!

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Very nice brisket! I haven't done anything larger than ribs and a butt so yea, "just found matches" really describes me. I did however see on another website, that the guy does 14lb packers in 4 hours 20 minutes tops. Perhaps you might check out what he does and compare it to what you did and see where the process differs.

BTW, i'm really jealous because I absolutely love brisket. Almost as much as I love good prime rib. Nice Job!

edit, here's from the exact post: (bear in mind this is being done in a WSM, but the process appears the same for a UDS and i've seen posts where people have easily taken their UDS up to 400 degrees.

Posted July 25, 2008 10:19 AM July 25, 2008 10:19 AM Hide Post
quote:
People like K Kruger make it sound like there is no other option.
Nope. I've repeatedly said that though I prefer the high heat approach, there are certainly other options.

I Minion the start as well but I only use about twice the amount of coals for lit as I would if I were doing a low/slow, about 22-30, depending on ambient conditions.

I assemble immediately and do not leave the door off. I am looking for a climb to my target of 325/345 or so, a somewhat quick but not a rapid rise. When the temps are nearing the upper 200s I can usually tell by the speed of the rise if I will need to prop the door open. (I often do.)

I don't temp the brisket at all. I simply foil somewhere between 2:20 and 2:40 into the cook. I do not use any liquid addition either. I do leave some space (maybe 1/2 inch) around the sides of the brisket and a bit of head space above so there is room for the exuded liquid. After foiling I tend to cook 350-375.

Even with the Minion start, assembling quickly, and not bringing the temps down from a higher point, it is very rare for me to have a packer run over 4 hours by much more than 10 min. I always have a smokering, which I like.

So, even though craig and I both do high heat brisket cooks routinely, one can vary even high heat approaches, as you can see, and still turn out terrfic brisket.

Kevin

Just thought i'd pass on the info, hope it helps.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helljack6 View Post
I did however see on another website, that the guy does 14lb packers in 4 hours 20 minutes tops. Perhaps you might check out what he does and compare it to what you did and see where the process differs.
That was actually the guide I used for my first high heat brisket, which was done in about 4 and a half hours. That one came out OK, but just didn't have enough smokey flavor and bark for me. This method was an attempt to combine low and slow along with high heat, so I could get more smoke and bark. This took a little longer than expected (about 8.5 hours), but I think it's a nice compromise in that I can start it aroundn 10AM and still have it ready for dinner.
I still have some tweaking to do, I might try a "medium high heat" brisket next at around 275 degrees and see how long it takes.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great post bro...you're gettin' your briskets down to a science! I really like doing the hight heat method as well...

Good luck makin' Popdaddy happy... (just kidding Funk)...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Nice briskie.
Just curious, did you let it rest at all??
You oughta give pink butcher paper a try instead of foil sometime. Then Funk won't jump ya.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Just curious, did you let it rest at all??
I tented it with foil on the cutting board and let rest about 35-40 minutes. I really like a heavy, crunchy bark so I didn't want to foil/cooler and end up steaming the bark.
I'm still struggling with the point though. I'm new to full packers, so I don't know how much fat usually renders out with a pure low and slow, but I'm ending up with quite a bit of fat in my points. It was literally falling apart, so there was no way to cube it. I just ended up chopping it, but it was difficult to remove all the fat.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
smalls65
Full Fledged Farker

Nice!!! Next ti me let me know what sides I need to bring for dinner!!!!!! :-)

Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice! I love how you foiled the ends early in the cook. I assume that is to keep the ends from burning because the WSM gets hot around the rim - excellent! I will definitely remember that!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
I love how you foiled the ends early in the cook. I assume that is to keep the ends from burning because the WSM gets hot around the rim - excellent! I will definitely remember that!
Yes, I just take some heavy duty foil, fold it into a square and then wrap it around the two handles. Then I tuck the brisket into each handle. As you said, the WSM gets hot around the rim so it acts as a heat shield. It helps to spray the foil with some Pam also, as the brisket can get stuck to it.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Nice job, will have to try that on the drum!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the report on the experiment! I'm definitely gonna do this next time I do a brisket. Now if I can get some info on high heat butts I'm set!
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Brethren User: billm is the purveyor of Head's Red BBQ sauce.

Good stuff

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looking very good. My last brisky was high heat cook.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Last brisket was high heat and the family asked why it was so much better than my others (even though they liked the low and slow ones I did previously) - the high temp one was so much better it will be the way I do them from now on.
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote