Why use a Vortex?

khs282

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot about Vortex lately and was curious if there is any benefit to using that vs the Weber charcoal baskets? I don't see how there can be enough of a difference to spend the money, but maybe someone here who has a vortex can enlighten me?

I have never used one but from the pics I have seen here people put them in the center of a kettle and cook wings indirectly Also place a piece of wood on the grate over the vortex for smoke flavor

I haven't used the weber charcoal baskets, but I love my vortex. Besides indirect cooking, it gives a great sear over the center opening... It's great for even cooking wings too.
410b52f2324091ca490e68c00c55177e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Truthfully, I have a vortex in my 26 and have used two charcoal baskets to make wings in a 22" kettle (with the same rub, sauce, etc.).

They turned out the same. YMMV.

Truthfully, I have a vortex in my 26 and have used two charcoal baskets to make wings in a 22" kettle (with the same rub, sauce, etc.).

They turned out the same. YMMV.

I have not been able to get the temp up as high with baskets as I can with the vortex.
Not even close actually.

Baskets filled will get me up to ~450-500F
Vortex will get me up to 800F+

I have not been able to get the temp up as high with baskets as I can with the vortex.
Not even close actually.

Baskets filled will get me up to ~450-500F
Vortex will get me up to 800F+

Why would I need to run anything near 800*? I would think 450-500 would be more than hot enough.

The radiant heat is great, and being able to focus all that heat directly upwards for searing is also nice. I held out for a long time, thinking they had to be gimmicky and there's no way a little cone of metal could make a difference, but I finally submitted and bought one and am glad I did. Turned my kettle into a chicken wing frying machine :thumb: if you decide to buy one, try to buy one of the originals so the guy that thought it up gets his piece.

I actually prefer to use my Vortex in my Vision kamado. I've never used the charcoal baskets so I can't comment on that. However, the crispy skin I get using the Vortex seems pretty hard to beat. I give the wing sections a light dusting of corn starch and a touch of whatever rub I'm using and then put them in the fridge while I go start the grill. Then throw the wings on the grill with a chunk of wood over the coals. Usually only takes about 30 minutes and the wings are cooked. Bring them in and put them in a mixing bowl. Hit them with fresh lemon juice and shake em up while pouring more of the rub over them. Good stuff.

+1 on the benefits for chicken. Great crispy skin, plus the ability to add a kiss of smoke flavor. Also does well for pork and great for the reverse sear on a steak.

Why would I need to run anything near 800*? I would think 450-500 would be more than hot enough.

With chicken wings, the hotter the better, as long as you’re not using a sugar based rub.

The extreme heat renders the fat under the skin and flash cooks the wings.
Result is crispy skin and juicy meat

I can cook wings in 35 min start to finish. All with indirect heat

9deb72839dc4d856434c440bc0c175ae.jpg

I wouldn’t trade my vortex of all the charcoal baskets

(I own two sets of baskets and one vortex. Baskets only get used on tritip)

The original is about $40. You cannot take your family out to dinner for that..... :-D

Get one.

if you decide to buy one, try to buy one of the originals so the guy that thought it up gets his piece.

Slightly off-topic here but are you saying that a one-off DIY project for personal use is not acceptable if your book? Just curious.

No, I'm just saying there were a bunch of knock offs not long after the original hit the market, and if I were going to buy one, I'd try to do so from the guy that first did it. Your money is obviously free to spend however you please.

No, I'm just saying there were a bunch of knock offs not long after the original hit the market, and if I were going to buy one, I'd try to do so from the guy that first did it. Your money is free to spend however you please.

Plus, many of the knockoffs are made of thinner steel, etc.

The radiant heat is great, and being able to focus all that heat directly upwards for searing is also nice. I held out for a long time, thinking they had to be gimmicky and there's no way a little cone of metal could make a difference, but I finally submitted and bought one and am glad I did. Turned my kettle into a chicken wing frying machine :thumb: if you decide to buy one, try to buy one of the originals so the guy that thought it up gets his piece.

How long are you typically cooking wings for using the vortex? I don't have one yet but the vortex / wing combo cook posts here speak for themselves they always look great.

How long are you typically cooking wings for using the vortex? I don't have one yet but the vortex / wing combo cook posts here speak for themselves they always look great.

Depends, separate wing/drummy sections go quicker, maybe 30 minutes give or take for me. I like to cook whole wing sections and those usually take a bit longer, maybe 45. I just wait until I see the fat bubbling under the skin and know they're about done.

I have been hearing a lot about Vortex lately and was curious if there is any benefit to using that vs the Weber charcoal baskets? I don't see how there can be enough of a difference to spend the money, but maybe someone here who has a vortex can enlighten me?

Is this about something called a vortex for a kettle grill or a vortex charcoal basket for a drum smoker? I have a Hunsaker Vortex charcoal basket I use in my 22" WSM.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/vortex-charcoal-baskets

Last edited:
Back