MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #46
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
You should sell your Vortex. There are folks here who would love to buy one at a good price, assuming yours is an original.
I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm just sharing my experience just like everyone in this thread. I seriously doubt I would get different result if I used original Vortex over my homemade one but if someone is willing to donate original Vortex, I would be happy to test it out and admit if I'm wrong!
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #47
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

No takers on explaining the difference between the Vortex and Slow 'N Sear gadgets?

Old 05-25-2019, 12:04 AM   #48
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4thot View Post
No takers on explaining the difference between the Vortex and Slow 'N Sear gadgets?
I don't have a slow n sear, but have heavily researched them. You can get similar results from the slow n sear as the vortex, by using a full chimney of hot coals in the slow n sear, and the bottom grate is blocked. You don't have to do that with the vortex. The main advantage of the slow n sear is to be able to go low n slow, but it's really nothing more than the minion method. I opted for the vortex because it was cheaper, and I really don't go low n slow on the kettle. Again, I don't feel either of them are necessary, but they just make your job easier. Everyone has decide how they want to cook for themselves. What is right for one guy, might not be right for the other.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 AM   #49
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I have both. I like the Slow N Sear, but I love the Vortex. I have the original Slow N Sear with the open bottom. It is well made and heavier metal than the vortex. I never really figured I'd use it as a smoker in the kettle as I have several smokers. but, I did try it once and was like Meh, it works. I thought I could use it for reverse sear steaks. Maybe it's me, but it just doesn't seem to get as hot as the vortex and I've never used an infrared thermo to check. Also, wife prefers traditional steaks versus reverse seared. So it sits unused. I use the medium in the 26 all the time. Perfect wings, brats and ABT's. Never tried it on thighs or legs.

Guess I should try the Slow N Sear on the 26 sometime as I've only used it on my performer.

Just one man's opinion. Results may vary.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #50
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Hmm... so you get temps of 800 through your whole cooker? I wonder if that is too hot for my PK.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #51
Lahawk1
Full Fledged Farker

I flip my Vortex upside down and use it to cook steaks. I push it to one side of the kettle and fill it with charcoal. Once it is lit, I place my full Grill Grates set in the kettle. I use the end without the vortex under it to reverse sear the steak then move it over the end with the vortex to actually sear the steak. Works great.
Lahawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #52
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I have a theory, and its just purely a speculative theory, that the vortex does more for air flow and thus convection in the Kettle, than it does temp.

I think covering the charcoal grate with foil, then cutting out the section inside of the vortex, brings more air up through the vortex, where it then redirects by the curvature of the Kettle lid.

And convection cooks better than direct radiant heat.

I've measured temps in my Kettle when using the vortex, on the outside of the grill grate. And I don't find that the vortex increases those temps. But I do like my wings using the vortex and I think air flow may have more to do with that

But again, just a theory.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #53
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I have both and I use the Vortex a lot more. I will use the Slow 'n Sear today with Lump and some Wood chunks. Build a small fire and let it slow-smoke some 2.5 pound prime ribeyes before I reverse sear. It's nice for things like that, and I also like it for long cooks stacking briquettes like dominos and lighting one end. Because of the shape you can stack high which leaves a lot of room for meat on the rest of my 26". I've only filled the water reservoir on it once to do a Turkey. Large SNS weighs about eight pounds so I imagine it helps with heat retention.

The other thing the SNS good for is leaving it in the kettle to create a cool zone when I need a big fire. Just leave it empty and it gives you some room to work if things get too hot.

Both fun toys to play with, but if I could only get one it would be the Vortex.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #54
boogiechillen
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Anyone use a mini vortex in a jumbo joe?
boogiechillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #55
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Convenience. All you have to have is fire, after that it boils down to convenience. You could also ask, Why use charcoal baskets? You could always just stack up the charcoal. For that matter, Why use charcoal? You could always burn wood to make coals.

Bottom line is the Vortex makes cooking chicken pieces on the kettle a breeze. You can get the same results without it, but the Vortex makes it effortless. I have done a comparison of the baskets vs Vortex, and the big difference is the Vortex is taller. It comes up to the bottom of the cooking grate, so the heat is funneled up, and then comes back down from the dome. This makes for very even cooking, and you don't even have to flip them. The baskets are shorter, so more heat travels out under the food, giving you an opportunity for hot spots. This means you have to watch the cook, and move and flip to get an even cook. With the Vortex, you put the wings on, come back in 45 minutes to get them.
This exactly. The Vortex is the only reason I still even use my Weber Kettle.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #56
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Hmmmm. Father's Day is coming up . . .

Won't be long before my wife will be saying the kids are wondering what you want for Father's Day.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #57
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

I will say that the Vortex is only limited by your imagination...It makes killer wings, indeed...But if that's all you use it for then you're missing out...

Old 05-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #58
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
Anyone use a mini vortex in a jumbo joe?
I use the mini in my jumbo Joe when we camp. Love it. Mostly do burgers, steaks and hot dogs with it. Works extremely well for reverse searing steaks and burgers. Hot dogs just go straight over it.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #59
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

Wings with my Vortex are idiot proof and consistently turn out the same.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #60
bigpernz
Full Fledged Farker

The vortex is great for searing off all the hair and skin on your arm when you reach over it!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->