Need Help with extra Bandera grills-Beware

gzac83

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Help!!!

I followed the advice on ordering extra 15-1/4" by 16" Bandera porcelain grills from the file section of this forum.

CharBroil Phone No. 1-800-241-7548
CharBroil Part No.: 40022810
CharBroil Bandera Model No: 03205610

I ordered 3 sets, comes 2 to a set for a total of 6 grills.
Price I paid for 3 sets: $19.99/set, plus $9.75 shipping: Total $69.72.

They came today, six days after ordering, so far so good. Opened up the box, and only four grills were inside, yet the packing slip noted a Quantity of 3 and they charged me for 3 sets (six grills), but only sent 2 sets (4 grills). Then I checked the fit, and they would not fit inside the smoke box; they are too wide. The grills that they sent to me were all the same size (15-3/4" by 16-3/4") and were 1/2" wider and 3/4" longer than the grills that came with my smoker. I bought my smoker at Home Depot less than 1 month ago on 2/3/07. The four grills that came with my new smoker measure 15-3/8" by 16".

Thank goodness for my telephone headset, because I spent (no joke) 63.5 minutes on the phone, mostly on hold explaining and re-explaining this to the CharBroiled customer service guy. After an hour, he said they wanted me to send them photographs proving my complaint and that they would send out a return label for the return, but I would be responsible for the shipping.................

I was BOILING by then. Through clinched teeth, I asked to speak to the supervisor and had to go over it all again. I could'nt believe their audacity, spend over an hour and they think I am lying to them. So after some considerate thought I told them I would be happy to send pictures. I politely told the supervisor that their "customer service was pathetic, for them to make someone stay on the phone for that length of time, that pardon me for saying so but they were being knuckleheads about this".
"What is so difficult about understanding that their grills were too big for my smoker and I need smaller ones"?

Anyway enough rant. I don't know yet if they are going to be able to provide me with grills that will be able to fit my Bandera or not. If not, I may need some advice on alternatives. Enclosed are the pics I sent to CharBroiled. Oh, before I forget, my grates are on the left, and be sure to note the genuine chinese packing material.

Attachments

• Width Difference GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    Width Difference GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Width Difference Closeup GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    Width Difference Closeup GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Length Difference GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    Length Difference GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Length Difference Closeup GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    Length Difference Closeup GSZ Grill on left.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 4 grates delivered with original packaging 2 grates ordered and billed are missing.JPG
    4 grates delivered with original packaging 2 grates ordered and billed are missing.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I think I'd be a bit bent too!

And man, that newspaper says it all... Were the folks you talked to English speakers, at least?

if it comes down to it, I made additional shelves out of expanded steel and 3/8 inch channel. A welding shop would make them probably for less than you paid for the charbroil ones.

Yes, the guys spoke English and were surprisingly, right here in the US.

Regarding expanded metal, call me picky, but I want uniformity, please.
I don't want to use expanded steel. It causes funny branding lines on the finished products.

This does not make any sense whatsoever.
It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Good luck.

TIM

They are very easy to cut.

Save yourself the further headache and cut them to size. I used a metal blade in my sawsall to cut mine. You could do it with a hacksaw if you had to.

Of course that doesn't solve the issue of them not sending enough grills... they should just send out what was left over from your order. You can cut those too if yo have to.

B

Send them all back for a refund and do what BBQchef33 said
if it comes down to it, I made additional shelves out of expanded steel and 3/8 inch channel. A welding shop would make them probably for less than you paid for the charbroil ones.

Blutch said:
They are very easy to cut.

Save yourself the further headache and cut them to size. I used a metal blade in my sawsall to cut mine. You could do it with a hacksaw if you had to.

Of course that doesn't solve the issue of them not sending enough grills... they should just send out what was left over from your order. You can cut those too if yo have to.

B

Or a bolt cutter would work fine too.

[edit]
Oops. That would only work in one direction. Almost missed that they were long in both directions.

Yes, Blutch, I had already thought about that......

And again, call me picky, but if cut to fit my smoker, the bars will have to be oriented perpendicular the the bars of the grills that came with my smoker. Then for the rest of my life, when loading and unloading I have to stop and think, test, try and retry to fit those things in the smoker. I don't want to have to mess with it. I want them to be oriented all the same, I already have plenty of thins to worry about.

I gave up on Char-Broil! You have way more patience than I have. The Website sucks, the parts link sends you to Grill Lovers.com and and it sucks worse! I've never been able to speak to a CS person, always on hold. Send them back! I know that feeling when you just settle for it to avoid the hassle and end up regretting it every time you use it!

Thanks for the comments. They are definetely going back.

I will find something and make it work after more Bandera modifications.

I can't argue with the smoking results. See picture.

Does anyone have a left-handed Brinkman SKD that has similar grills?

If so what are their measurements?

I tried Brinkman's customer service and they had no idea, referred me to their engineering department; had to leave a message. I won't hold my breath for a return call.

Attachments

• IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 233
What? No fatties thrown in there?

Looks like good grub!! A chicken is about the only thing I haven't done in the 'dera yet.

I'm feeling another cook coming on.

Thanks for the advise on the grates. I was thinking about ordering 2 more for mine, not so sure now.

Does anyone have a left-handed Brinkman SKD that has similar grills?

If so what are their measurements?

Looks like 15 1/2" by 16"

I'll measure mine tomorrow and get bck to you on it. I can't remember exactly but I think I actually ordered my replacement grills from Grill Lovers and they fit fine in my SKD. I may have ordered them from Brinkman though. It's been awhile.

Would someone measure their Brinkman SKD grills for me?

15 1/2" by 16" would work in my Bandera.

You guys will never believe this. After beating up and working over CharBroil's customer service department and after receiving seven wrong sized grates, I finally got a call from guy in customer service who actually seemed to care. He guessed that there was a parts number discrepancy.

He went out to the warehouse and pulled two sets of grates out of a bandera box and sent them to me. They were the correct size. Who would of thought it? After I confirmed the correctness of size, he sent me two additional sets of grates, an extra ash pan and the associated fire box wood grate. Good timing, because two days later I was scheduled to smoke a case (36 lbs) of salmon (12fillets). Sorry, no pictures.

So all in all I got an extra set of grates and the exta pan and fire box wood grate. Plus I still have the seven wrong sized grates and they did not want me to return anything.

Anyone building a new BBQ grill or smoker? Or perhaps need some supplemental or replacement grates. I have (7) Seven brand New Porcelain Coated Steel Grill Grates. Each measures approximately 15-7/8" +/- wide x 16-3/4" +/- height. You can shorten the height without damaging the grate. Or maybe you need an 14-3/4"x 15-3/4" steel ash pan with the steel fire box wood grate that fits inside the ash pan.

Let me know if anyone needs them.

By the way, the salmon was incredible. Next time I will do pictures.

Now that's perseverance. Glad it worked out for you.

I honestly do not know.

But I will be happy to check with my contact and try to find out.

Back