MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #6091
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm thinking of using my normal pyramid method in my Weber, then transferring four or five good lumps over to my basket.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6092
moda253
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs View Post
How would you light it on top? No lighter fluid I assume.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #6093
moda253

Look, buy a pair of work gloves for like$ 2.00 see, then fill your basket with charcoal and stuff a couple lumps of hardwood right, then start up 10 - 12 pieces of charcoal. dump them on top. If you put a long handle on your basket made with wire you won't burn your arms, you will have a correctly lit basket, with no lighter fluid taste (shiver) and you will be doing something that we know works.

Also align the grooves in the charcoal and make sure they are all facing up. htis helps the draft better and better utilizes the smoke.

Quote:
I'm thinking of using my normal pyramid method in my Weber, then transferring four or five good lumps over to my basket.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #6094
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Great!!!! Thanks for all the feedback. I found some expanded metal today just have to go pick it up, If I have to Ill go buy a Unibit...but they are pricey. Ill post pic when done.
Step bit cheap alternative for home builders.
Neiko Titanium Step Drill Bit; 1/2" Shank; 10 Steps; 1/4" - 1-3/8"

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Titanium...5936890&sr=8-1

$11.99 at Amazon.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #6095
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Default My (almost) free fire basket

So, "The Thread" has inspired me. I'm building my very own, very first UDS. I work for a chemical manufacturer, so I can get new, unlined drums for free. I can even get 85 gal. salvage drums for free when they show up.

That being the case, I plan on making an insulated UDS with a 55 gal. inside an 85 gal. wrapped in insulation (not sure of the type yet; probably either mineral wool or aerogel or I'm open to cheaper alternatives).

But before I begin the "big" project, I wanted to do at least one "basic" model. And, because I'm a cheap bastard, I'm trying to do it for as absolutely little outlay as possible using what I have at hand.

So... here's my almost free fire basket:

I took 12" wire shelving from closetmaid that I had from a closet redo a couple of years ago and bent it around the charcoal grate of a donor Weber that a buddy of mine gave me when he moved:

Then, I found a cheap 18" grill at the dollar store:

Put the basket on top of the grill and bent the supports around to hold the basket to the grill pan to act as an ash catcher:

Burned it out last night to get the paint off both the fire basket AND the barrel (no pics yet. I took 'em, just haven't downloaded 'em yet).

Thing cost me less than $10.00 and holds a LOT of charcoal.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #6096
BBQBobofA2
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice idea there Southern Home Boy, I may go that route as well for the basket.

I bought a 55 gal drum today for a UDS. Got one with a bung hole on the bottom side (as well as the lid). Not sure if this is a good thing - does anyone know if this is a sign it was used to store something nasty in a previous life? It is reconditioned - burned and sandblasted - so I went for it.

Also have people used the bung hole at the bottom of the barrel (on the side) as air intake instead of drilling the holes? I think it fits a 2 in. pipe, or I may just go for a simple cover.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #6097
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

I purchased a Grill Care thermometer at Wally World for my smoker. was wondering if anybody has used one before or heard anything about the performance. I have some local friends that said they have installed them and they are accurate, especially for what they cost...$16. Any input as usually is appreciated.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #6098
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I have a grill care thermo on my uds, very accurate and well built.

I drilled a 3/4" hole with a unibit and then filed it out a little with a round file, then the thermo threaded in with the help of a wrench.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #6099
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

So is the noted 7/8" to big?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #6100
moda253

I have a question about that setup. It's great looking to be sure but how many inches off the bottom is the actual grate where your coals will sit. On my setup It is about 2.5" above the bottom of the drum. On this setup it looks like it could be upwards of 7" or 8" maybe more. Do you still have enough space between your charcoal grate and your cooking grate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
So, "The Thread" has inspired me. I'm building my very own, very first UDS. I work for a chemical manufacturer, so I can get new, unlined drums for free. I can even get 85 gal. salvage drums for free when they show up.

That being the case, I plan on making an insulated UDS with a 55 gal. inside an 85 gal. wrapped in insulation (not sure of the type yet; probably either mineral wool or aerogel or I'm open to cheaper alternatives).

But before I begin the "big" project, I wanted to do at least one "basic" model. And, because I'm a cheap bastard, I'm trying to do it for as absolutely little outlay as possible using what I have at hand.

I took 12" wire shelving from closetmaid that I had from a closet redo a couple of years ago and bent it around the charcoal grate of a donor Weber that a buddy of mine gave me when he moved:

Then, I found a cheap 18" grill at the dollar store:

Put the basket on top of the grill and bent the supports around to hold the basket to the grill pan to act as an ash catcher:

Burned it out last night to get the paint off both the fire basket AND the barrel (no pics yet. I took 'em, just haven't downloaded 'em yet).

Old 06-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #6101
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I agree it's a bit tall. Maybe cut the legs even with the bottom of the tray. Nice work though.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #6102
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post

I like your style cant wait for the rest of the build.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #6103
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Here's a few pics of build #5. Made it for my daughters boyfriends dads birthday. Mine is in the background smoking up some dino bones. Not really sure why she wanted me to write "SMOKING WITH PEDRO" on it though. I think it's a family thing.

Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #6104
HuskerSmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Done but not finished UDS

Here is my UDS in action for the first time working on a picnic roast, since then I have done chicken quarters, over cooked, and spare ribs, turned out great. I am still working on the times and temperatures but I think I am getting the hang of it. Beef brisket is next on the menu and I have some more mods in the works for the drum, mandatory bottle opener and I have another barrel I am going to cut for a lid so I can add another grate. I will try to get some pron pics up this weekend when done.

This thread has been a great source through out the build, the barrel was originally planned for a offset smoker untill I found this thread.

After sharing samples of the pulled pork with family the UDS will be burning at this year family reunion.

HuskerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #6105
Jiggs
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
So is the noted 7/8" to big?
I have a Grillcare therm on my UDS, and yes, the note 7/8" would be too big.

I drilled a 3/4" hole for the Grillcare therm and it threaded in nice and tight with a wrench. Use the locknut on the inside and you're good to go.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker