Baking and smoking

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok, this is Q-talk because I was smoking about 50 lbs of meat while I was baking bread....

I made my grandma's recipe for yeast bread, and tried out something new to me. I got some cinnamon filling from King Arthur flour that has dry shortening in it. You just add 1 tbsp of water per 1/4 cup filling.

I rolled out the dough for a loaf of bread to be about 8" X 24", then spread the goop on the dough, leaving a 1" border along one of the 8" sides. From the opposite side, I rolled it up, then let it rise before baking. This stuff is like the Cinnabon filling... Great, and goopy, and yum.. I'm going to try go make it myself, though, with muscovado sugar, fresh cassia and dry shortening if I can find it... probably just blend it with butter if I can't.

cinrolled.jpg

cinready.jpg

cinbreadwbread.jpg

cinbread.jpg

Muscovado sugar (also called Barbados or moist sugar) : Muscovado sugar, a British specialty brown sugar, is very dark brown and has a particularly strong molasses flavor. The crystals are slightly coarser and stickier in texture than "regular" brown sugar. Light and Dark brown muscovado sugars contain molasses; the darker the color is, the more molasses and therefore the stronger the flavour. They are used in the same way as light and dark brown soft sugars. (from http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/MuscodiaSugar.htm)

If that's too strong, I'll just go with some turbinado.

Muscovado... my pork butt and ribs "weapon"! LOVE the stuff but pay out the nose for it! ($17 for 3 pounds)

cmcadams said:
jeff, don't you think it would make great cinnamon rolls?

Zingerman's has it for $4/lb for light muscovado
http://www.zingermans.com/Product.pasp?Category=&ProductID=P%2DSUG
Chefshop.com has it for $5.49/1.2 lbs for dark.
http://chefshop.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=0080&eq=&Tp=
But Amazon has 2.8 lbs for $12.50, and free shipping over $25. One light, one dark gets you 5.6 lbs for $25
http://www.amazon.com/India-Tree-Muscovado-Sugar-Pounds/dp/B000GPMGDS

Oh HELL yeah, Curt! Definitely would! Never have seen the point of the light. I love it for the rich molasses flavor. I've tried other brands but the one I get at Dean & Deluca's is the best and always moist. I forget the brand name right now but it's great stuff.

is that like raw sugar? we have brown and dark brown raw sugar here that the molasses has not been taken out of it. and it a coarse type sugar.and its a little sticky because the molasses was not refined out of it..i use to get it in 20lb bags from the sugar mill before..it dose make good sticky buns...

It's similar, but muscovado is kind of considered the best of the unrefined sugars... more stickiness than turbinado.

Jeff, I haven't tried the stuff from D&D, but the stuff at amazon is very good stuff.

Sugar with molasses in it? For real? Man, I can see tons of uses for that!

Arlin_MacRae said:
Sugar with molasses in it? For real? Man, I can see tons of uses for that!

That's all plain old brown sugar you buy in the store is. Muscovado is simply a natural (and I assume better flavored) form of brown sugar.

SmokeInDaEye said:
That's all plain old brown sugar you buy in the store is. Muscovado is simply a natural (and I assume better flavored) form of brown sugar.

Muscovado is a type of unrefined sugar with a strong molasses flavour. It is also known as Barbados or moist sugar. It is very dark brown in color, and slightly coarser and stickier than most brown sugars. Unlike most brown sugars, which are composed of refined white sugar with molasses added, muscovado takes its flavor and color from the sugar cane juice it is made from. It offers good resistance to high temperatures and has a reasonably good shelf life. The unrefined sugar goes well with coffee and other beverages, and was one of the most prominent export commodities of the Philippines in the 1800s.

i my be wrong but that sounds a lot like what we call raw sugar here..

Ey Hilo boy, when you say you own #1 Hawaiian Imu, does that mean you own a hole in the ground?

Also, if I wanted to make a Kalua pork for my Kauai in-laws, could I do it in my offset? Should I wrap it in tea leaves? What wood do you recomend? My guess is Hickory.....

Malama Pono

Hiloboy said:
is that like raw sugar?

Similar but it's very tacky/sticky and it clumps so you have to dry it at a very low heat in an airing cupboard/oven if you want to use it in rubs.

Gives a really deep 'nutty' flavour less harsh than molasses

If you are curious about muscovado, just get some and try it... It's different... Kind of the high end of sugars. It's got a different texture and taste than raw sugar. Instead of a soft clump like brown sugar, it clumps hard, but can be broken up. It's less processed than any other sugar, if I remember correctly.

Single Fin Smoker said:
Ey Hilo boy, when you say you own #1 Hawaiian Imu, does that mean you own a hole in the ground?

Also, if I wanted to make a Kalua pork for my Kauai in-laws, could I do it in my offset? Should I wrap it in tea leaves? What wood do you recomend? My guess is Hickory.....

Malama Pono

Single Fin, yap, thats what it means. i use to have two holes but now i;m down to only one...the cost of land here is high.no the other one went for part of my new garage..
on the Kalua pork you could use you offset with hickory.. but it may dry out the meat. what are you useing porkbutt? if so heres the way i do it in the oven.if i'm doing just a small amount..

8lbs pork butt
4 tbsp. liquid smoke
4tbsp. hawaiian salt or you can use kosher salt
10 to12 ti leaves ribs removed

cook at 350 i score butt and then rub with salt and liquid smoke. then i wrap butts in the ti leaves tie with sting and wrap in foil. put butts in roasting pan add maybe 2 cups water cover. cook for 4 hours.. after its done i dissolve 1 tbsp of hawaiian salt or kosher into 2cups of boiling water then add a few drops of liquid smoke.. after pork is done i shred it and let it stand in the salt and water smoke for a few minutes.. not bad for a oven job... you take care to ...

sorry about the thread i will say raw sugar..on with the thread..

Last edited:
Back