MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #46
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Like i said, you didn't read the manual

Season at 400 degrees for an hour

Manuals are printed for a reason.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
I read the manual about as deeply as you read my post

I didn't let the charcoal ignite enough before I closed the lid. This is why it took that long to get to 80 degrees. My mistake.

When I realized what happened and did ignite the coal, the temp ramped up to 600 very quickly. I did pull the temp down enough to make sure I did not go past the manufacturer suggested limit of 700 degrees as I knew by this point the dome thermometer was approximately 80 degrees off, but when seasoning a grill I'm going to put as much heat as possible to burn in the oil. I don't need a manual to tell me how to 'season' a grill, so I am comfortable with skipping this section.

Sorry, was so busy with the new toy, never received your invite request

I am happy with the purchase and plan on adding a kettle to my arsenal in the near future

My wood smoked pretty good. I did load 2 splits in it. they were not there when I finished cooking. They were replaced by two new pieces of charcoal. beautiful red smoke ring and great flavor in the pork. I did heed this advice and tried to stay in the higher temperature range until the meat got above 140. BBQ guru? where's the fun in those? LOL, I don't even think i need one for the Akorn
You don't. Bottom vent at 1.... top vent at .75 = 250-265 all day. I've smoked in gusting winds (25mph+) light rain, and ambient temps in the single digits. No temp controller needed. Gotta love an insulated smoker.

Enjoy it. I bought mine almost two years ago, absolutely love it. Winter, and Summer. No gasser needed. Lump is ready to cook with in minutes. Takes me longer to get the meat ready and crack a beer open.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #48
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

AKORN - you'll love it.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Like i said, you didn't read the manual

Season at 400 degrees for an hour

Manuals are printed for a reason.

Manuals are indeed printed for a reason. as a guideline for the general consumer to follow. I assume 400 degrees is printed because it is standard practice and probably listed to not exceed the smoke points of the more common oils general consumers use when seasoning.

When seasoning, I am a believer in the science of the process (detailed very well in this link http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/) that an oil with a high percentage of Omega-3 is best for polymerization because of the Amino acids. High protein drying oils also typically have very low smoke points.

The idea is to cook well above the smoke point to burn off the free radicals while polymerization occurs.

The burning off of the free radicals is what polymerizes the surfaces and keeps the free radicals from burning while I cook. Example: if I season at 400 with an oil with a 400+ burn point (such as olive oil or corn oil), then cook a pizza at 600 (or whatever the ALL HOLY MANUAL tells me), I am introducing the carcinogenic free radicals into my food. Aside from the lack of polymerization from not creating the scientific reaction initially, I am cooking unhealthy.

I'm no chemist but I have a basic idea of what is occurring anytime i cure my cast iron and grill surfaces, and I trust the science as it has worked very well for me.

Although I am always open to suggestions from experience and would value an explanation why the manual's suggestion of 400 degrees is more ideal than 500-600 range. Otherwise, I'll use my own experience where it applies.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote