If foiling is "the Texas crutch", then...

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
what is foil AND into the oven?:tsk:
Big thunderboomers rolling in and I'm only under an EZ Up.

Zoinks, run fer the hills!

manninggraduation005a.jpg

If you find out the answer, let me know. Heheee. Some foil and an oven has saved the day more times than Mighty Mouse.​

manninggraduation015a.jpg

The Texas Crutch name was created by an out of touch, cooked, angry old dude. Almost every good BBQ cook I know considers it a legit technique.

You got to do what you got to do. If the weather goes south on you then you dont really have an option

It was a good one. It wasn't, "shucks, it might rain," it was more of a, "Weerrreeeee gonnnnnaaaaa diiieeee!!!!!!!" kinda storm
Brisket was good! The bark on the pork was leaning to the chewy side

The Texas Crutch name was created by an out of touch, cooked, angry old dude. Almost every good BBQ cook I know considers it a legit technique.

Sounds like there's a story there............

I don't cook anything in a comp that doesn't touch a piece of foil at some point in the process. There are some people that also consider BBQ sauce a crutch. Can't please everyone. :cool:

If you like it your friends and family like it who give a chit what people say.

I agree. I think this is the answer to your question. :p

Although, lots of folks have been known to "survive" a big storm with just an EZ-up (some probably even survived without one). Heck, 90% of all comp teams have nothin but an EZ-up.

Thanks for sharing.

......maybe.....but many old timers in the central Texas BBQ belt dont use foil either. I am not commenting on whether or not foil is a good or bad technique or if people that foil briskets are good or bad pit men but the dude who coined the term has some skins on the wall and many legendary brisket men (that arent competition boys) might agree with that "..cooked, angry old dude.."

just my $0.02.

BTW - if you removed The Cooked, The Angry and The Old from this forum you might not like this forum any more.

Back