MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

Default Gravity Feed Cabinet Owners, Where You At?

Ive been searching all day so I have a good amount of info on these, but just in case I can get some more out of newer owners/members, how do you guys like your cabinets?

Stumps, Superior, and DW Kountry Cookers are what Im looking at (they're basically the same thing). I have very limited info on the DW's, they dont even have pricing on their website so I have to wait to see what they're charging.

So for now Ive been comparing Stumps to Superior, and excuse the pun but I find the latter "superior". I haven't heard anything bad about them, though this can be attributed to possible lack of owners compared to the Stumps. Either way Id like to hear feedback from anyone with any one these cookers.

My main concern with either is the spacing between racks. Superior had nearly twice the space between racks (5.5" vs 3"), but is 5.5" still enough to fit butts and briskets in safely without the need to remove the rack above? And are these good for feeding a crowd or more geared toward the competition circuit? Now Im also debating whether I spend the money for a larger unit like the SS-one/Prince, or if I can get by with a SS-Two/Baby. I dont see using all three racks and cooking butts and briskets with the baby but if its possible on the SS-two with the added space between racks I could probably get a good amount of Que in that sucker.

Cant wait to hear from the Brethren! Thanks in advance!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Stumps Baby. Bought it on 10/1 and received it on 12/23. To your questions.
Rack Spacing.. I have four racks but I think the 2011 models are three racks with four runners. The very top rack is basically good for only jerky. Depending on your butt size, the butts should fit between the racks. I have three butts in my freezer and the thinnest one is about 3.5". So it would be a tight fight to get them all loaded if you do not remove the rack above. If you take out the 1st and 4th rack, you can fit 6-8 butts. Which is plenty if that's all you are cooking. I don't think you would have a problem with briskets.
I don't cook a ton of food at a time. I've never used all four racks during the same cook.
Prior to purchasing the Stump, I did look at the superior, dw cookers and the backwoods smoker. At the time, the stumps was a bit cheaper.
I believe all of the insulated cookers, especially the stumps and superior claim you can get 8 hrs or so on 5 lbs of lump. I've done two all nighters and i filled the chute around 11pm and when i woke at 5 and it was time to add more. The temps stayed steady at 235 and it was in the 40's both nights that i did the cooks.

I am completely satisfied with the stumps and i would probably purchase another one. If you can swing the Prince, I would go for that one. I didn't want to spend $2800 for a smoker so i opted for the cheaper one. It does cook some amazing que and I have yet to be disappointed. Temp control was a bit of a learning curve for me, but I've been cooking on the baby every weekend since I got it. I also have a BBQ Guru, which I highly recommend.

Most of these manufacturers offer specials during the year. You may want to try and negoiate a price when you contact the manufacturer. Another factor is Stumps requires a 50% down payment at the time the order is placed. Not sure about the others.

Good luck and if you have more questons, shoot me a pm.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

ive got a stumps stretch.
no spacing issues with this one.
i'd probably need to take out a rack to do a turkey, but i'd use my wsm for a turkey.
i use my stumps for butts and brisket. i couple it with a cyber q and it's all over but the shoutin.
i cant speak for the superior, but im sure theyre pretty much the same. i've heard the guy from superior used to work for stump and he left and started superior.
either way ya cant go wrong. efficiency is the big deal with these.
get one bigger than ya think you'll need for sure!
good luck to ya
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

O yeah another question I had! Whats the recovery time after you open the main door? Does the insulation help with this or make it worse because from what see it can take a while to get these things up to temp initially. I would like to have something that can handle more than a couple racks of ribs, but that can need a lot of opening and closing, especially trying to find that perfect tenderness.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

If you do not use a guru, it does take time to recover. Especially on start up. Since I started using my guru, it takes maybe 20 minutes and I am at the temp to start cooking.
You can put several racks of ribs on each rack. I would say at least 4-6 rib racks per rack.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I ordered A Bay Stumps Jan 26th and it's done. I bought it during the Promo sell Stumps had going on. I don't see how there's not a lawsuit between Superior and Stumps, to me Superior copyrighted Stumps.

Here's some older Superior smoker info vvvvvvv Watch the other rebuilds..
YouTube - SS Cooker Rebuild V001

Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Stumps don't make no junk! I love my Baby!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
TRS
On the road to being a farker

I currently have 2 Stump's (Prince). I had a Superior SS-2 for a few months before my Stump's. They both cook about the same as they are designed the same. The size and features are different on them. The SS-2 has more room than a Stump's Baby but less room then the Prince and the SS-1 has more room than the Prince.
As mentioned, recovery time will depend on how long the door is open and whether you are running a Guru/Stoker. It takes approx 45 mins give or take to get these smokers up to temp. I cooked a few weeks ago in 34 degree temps and it took about 1 hr to get to temp.
I am more than satisfied with my Stump's (reason I now have 2!) The quality, features, customer svc and ease of use is tops.

If you would like more details on both, shoot me a PM.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Superior SS2 and I love it. I'll be using it this year to cook comps. I looked strongly at Stumps and Superior before making my decision. I went with Superior because:

1. Stump has been unpredictable w/re. to build time lately.
2. I got a faster and more informative initial response from Joby (Superior) vs. Stump.
3. Superior has a superior grease trap design to Stumps prince and baby.
4. I like the rear firebox on Superior I can bring my prep tables close up to the sides.
5. The dolly system on the Superior is really nice and makes it easy to move.
6. 3" spacing sux. I like to pull my trays out without my meat grabbing the upper trays.
7. Paint change up-charge on the Stumps was $200 - it was $50 for Superior.
8. Superior was more competitively priced than Stumps.

W.re. to recovery time, I'm not sure either unit has an advantage. I use a guru and heavy 1/8" waterpan and it doesn't take more than 2-5 mins to get back up to cooking temp after I shut the door.

If you plan to cook a lot of ribs buy the biggest unit you can afford - they take up a lot of space in either unit with/without a rib rack.

You can't go wrong with either unit - it's a matter of preference and how you weight the adv/dis-adv of both products. For me it was Superior but you're priorities may be different.

Let me know what other questions you have, I'd be happy to help.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
I ordered A Bay Stumps Jan 26th and it's done. I bought it during the Promo sell Stumps had going on. I don't see how there's not a lawsuit between Superior and Stumps, to me Superior copyrighted Stumps.
Not entirely true. There are several distinct improvements on the Superior:
1. The location of the firebox
2. Grease Trap
3. Dolly System
4. Oh and the tapered firebox - Stumps copied that from Superior
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I've got a Stumps Baby and have no complaints. I've not run into any spacing issues. Most of the time if the butt is touching the rack above it its not enough to cause a problem.

It boils down to what your needs are.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Nickos
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone have any details on this superior grease trap design?
I'm building aa clone and had a few different ideas on how to do this...
Nickos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

Great info Brewer! Im def leaning towards the SS2. I sent you a pm but I figure ill ask here too for anyone else.

How is it getting that thing around events and such? It says its 400 pounds which is preety dang heavy if you dont have a trailer or anything low to the ground.

Do you think it can fit a whole comp worth of food minus chicken (need that extra cooker for higher temps)

And what burn times would you see on a full chute?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
Not entirely true. There are several distinct improvements on the Superior:
1. The location of the firebox
2. Grease Trap
3. Dolly System
4. Oh and the tapered firebox - Stumps copied that from Superior
item 4. That is so Funny I look at them from my computer so they look the same to me, I heard the guy running Superior worked at Stumps but what do I know! Not much haha! I went with Stumps because of price..

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
item 4. That is so Funny I look at them from my computer so they look the same to me, I heard the guy running Superior worked at Stumps but what do I know! Not much haha! I went with Stumps because of price..

I think he did. When I was researching the Stumps models I registered on their forums and still visit there quite often to read. If I remember correctly the guy that now owns Superior used to work for "Stump".

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 03-16-2011 at 03:38 PM..
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote