PIC's Please!

Rightstuff

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do you have pics of turn-in boxes where "anything goes"? Garnish of any kind!

here's one for ya... from Lowell - MA State Grilling Championship 2007...

category was pork tenderloin - open garnish...

Attachments

• DSC03806.jpg
    DSC03806.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 194
This category wasn't restricted to a box, although we've staged similarly in a clamshell.

pulteab.jpg

looks good , how did it score? We have an open garnish coming up for pork loin. these are the rules

• Any type of container may be used as long as
it is covered and numbered

• Creative appearance is encouraged......garnish
is completely at the cooks discretion

What do teams use for containers? a regular clamshell? a fancy platter? disposable tray? if you use a fancy platter and props do you get them back?

looking for ideas as we have never done a open garnish before

Appearance scores for that one were 8 9 9 9 9 9.
No size limitations were placed, so we went with the tray. After the category was judged we cruised back and picked up the tray -- the judges had used the supplied carving knife and fork and stripped the second ribeye to the bone!

Appearance scores for that one were 8 9 9 9 9 9.
No size limitations were placed, so we went with the tray. After the category was judged we cruised back and picked up the tray -- the judges had used the supplied carving knife and fork and stripped the second ribeye to the bone!

did you have a lid over the tray? I want to use a prop that stands 5 to 6 inches high. I can't find a lid tall enough. Will I be able to take off the lid at turn in and stand it up or would the table captain do that or am I stuck with finding a shorter prop?

No, there was no lid requirement. I think you'd be best off asking your head judge whether you'd be permitted to remove the lid at turn-in. In any event, I'd choose props that don't require anybody but you to mess with them.

did you have a lid over the tray? I want to use a prop that stands 5 to 6 inches high. I can't find a lid tall enough. Will I be able to take off the lid at turn in and stand it up or would the table captain do that or am I stuck with finding a shorter prop?
Couldn't you simply use an overturned disposable pan or even aluminum foil? The rules say it must be covered, not that the container has to have a lid...

Great job. We've got an upcoming event with no limits on garnish; however, it must fit in a turn-in box. Thanks for the great ideas!

I'm embarrassed to post after Diva. Here are some pork steaks. This was third place.

IMG_7847.jpg

Sheesh! That's a $100 platter. Nice job.
Thanks! But -- it got beat by lasagna! Go figure!
crylaugh.gif

I was trying to live up to some of the AB entries we've seen submitted in California, there are some seriously insane entries. Harry Soo put in one that had an entire lobster on it -- and that was just the garnish!

Here's some beef ribs that did pretty well at the jack one year. And a vegetable timbal that did well in a grilling contest

Attachments

• DSCF0016-1.JPG
    DSCF0016-1.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0092.JPG
    DSCF0092.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 69
Back