MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Default BBQ wings?

It's not really bbq but I wanna make some buffalo wild wing style wings.... I picked up a deep frier from Wally World. Anyone ever done something like this? I'm thinking add some rub, then deep fry, and then toss them in bbq sauce.

Thoughts? How long would you fry them? Thanks

Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Yep! They come out excellent. Here's a thread of when I did them while back. I fried them "nekked" in the DO. I also have a fryer like the one you bought and comes out equally good.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=163634
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I just did a mess of wings for my daughters b-day, but I just smoked them and then finished them hot on the kamado. If you can I bet that a smoke and then fry would be awesome.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
landarc

They are fried nekkid, and then the rub or flavoring is applied just as they are pulled from the fryer. You can do it either way.

I have also given wings a light smoke, then deep fried them. That works great, adds some smoke flavor.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

Soak them overnight in buttermilk and a puree'd can of chipotle peppers, with the adobo sauce. Dredge them in seasoned flour before you fry'm. Real good. The smoke from the chipotles really comes through.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I love a nekkid wing!! Fry em' and soon as they are out throw some of your favorite seasoned salt on them. I like Tony Catchere's.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
caseydog

I actually grill my Buffalo wings. I sauce them just like I would fried wings, but I grill them to cook them. I love them that way, and they have less fat (slightly) and make less of a mess to clean up.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Add rub AFTER you fry. Toss around in a metal bowl with a little sauce, then dust with any rub you prefer.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

13 minutes at 375 if you like crispier skin. When they start to float, your close. Tip: Dont crowd your wings. It will drop your temp down quick and will result in a oily wing.

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Arvin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I actually grill my Buffalo wings. I sauce them just like I would fried wings, but I grill them to cook them. I love them that way, and they have less fat (slightly) and make less of a mess to clean up.

CD
I do this too. The clean-up from frying is just unpleasant enough for me that I shy away from it altogether.

But my hat's off to those of you that do.
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

When I have the hankering to fry my wings I actually do this on the back porch. It avoids stinking up the house like grease. If I am doing BBQ style, the rub goes on immediately after they come out of the oil, and then sauce after that. But lately I have been doing the APL wings more often than not.

If you use rub before the fry, the rub might burn, and will taste different. That, and all the spices mainly salt will break down the oil faster if you plan on saving that oil for more than one batch.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Bbadbbq
Found some matches.

I made wings on the Bbq last night. I injected the wings with 50/50 Franks Hot Sauce and Creole Butter. Put them on the pellet grill at 160 for 45 minutes then turned up to 300 for 1 hour. Pulled them off tossed with favorite sauce. They turned out great and there is a lot less mess to clean up when compared to deep frying. That being said I like fried wings too.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I also did wings last night. Soaked them in buttermilk all day, then laid them out on a rack to drain. Rubbed with some leftover pork rub I made a couple months ago. Hot smoked them at 325 for an hour, then brought them in for a quick 90sec fry at 375. Sauce was a 50/50 mix of Texas Pete's Buffalo Sauce and some local Honey Pecan sauce I found at Harris Teeter. Best wings I ever made.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all of the advice. I will try to take pictures afterwards.

I too have to fry outside due to the ole ball and chain... Lol

Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

If you like your wings crispy sprinkle some baking powder, cayenne and salt over them before cooking. Place in the fridge overnight on a cooling rack then cook with your preferred method.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote