MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I honestly think that the big 26.75" weber kettle is a little over-priced, and you can't beat the economy and versatility of having a couple of Weber 22.5" kettles.

My first one was a OT Silver, and my second one, a Gold. It was a craigslist find for only $50, but it's worth every penny over the cost of the silver. I've got a Side Table attached to the Gold, and a Slide-Aside lid accessory as well that's easily removable. One of the two grills is always ready, even if the other one is just being used to store tools, my extra wsm grate, etc. That's my set-up: the OTS, OTG, then my WSM. I only wish I had another wsm.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #17
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

I love my Weber Genesis natural gas. It is great just to zoom out and toss on a steak or a burger without going through the whole charcoal thing...
BGE, Weber Summit, 22" Kettle, SmokinIt#3, Round Boy Pizza Oven, FLAMED Thermopen
Bigfoot21075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
geo
Knows what a fatty is.

I am a fan of the Weber kettle. I would like to pick up the 26" grill myself and also like the cool features of the performer. I personally would lean towards the 26 for the extra room.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I have a genesis gasser, a UDS, a WSM and a 22.5 OTG. If you already have a smoker - nothing beats the convenience of a gasser. I highly recommend the genesis series from weber.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #20
Whitfield
Knows what a fatty is.

The Weber Performer is top notch. I have a 22.5" OTG and I LOVE it! If you want the extra space get the 26.5". I can't imagine you not being happy about that. However, you could get the 22.5" OTG and get a little bit cheaper gasser and have it all.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

If you have $800 to spend honestly I'd buy both. I'd get a new performer from Amazon and then find a nice used Genesis E320 on craigslist. I use my performer whenever I can but sometimes gas is just easier.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I want to thank everyone for the help and info. I think it's going to be a performer or a Genesis. Thanks again!!
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #23
tragusa3
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My Genesis gave me 12 years of troublefree, heavy use. I just put new guts throughout and will count on another 12 years! Can't beat that.

I have a UDS (new) a 22.5" OTG and the Genesis. So far, it looks like they will all get used pretty equally. However, I'd consider modding the UDS for grilling and selling off my OTG. It's a shame though....I just bought the OTG.

I couldn't be without the Genesis for those rushed workday evenings when I just want a quick chicken breast or burger.
tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

So far I've been very happy with this grill from Sam's.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111821

I've not taken the time to update the thread but I've used all three cooking surfaces and have had no problems. The gas and charcoal sides are each 360 sq inches. You can not snuff out the coals but I do like the feature of being able to get to the coals without removing the grates.

I've used the charcoal side for burgers, tenderloin, and chops. I've used the gas side for brats, burgers, chicken satay, and to reheat/grill a TV dinner .

And I've used the infrared for chicken wings and making bacon in a cast iron skillet.

I also have a BGE that is getting a little cranky but for quick grilling and ease of use this is my new goto grill.

Its not a weber and it was a pita to put together but for $250 I'm very happy.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #25
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
Build a UDS

did you read the OP?

;o)

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Mak Grills makes wood pellet grills. I haven't used one but it's something worth throwing in the mix.

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

OK well it's official.. I just ordered a Performer w/a cover at Amazon. I will then buy the conversion hose from HD. Looking forward to it.. It's funny how the more things change the more they stay the same.

As a child we always had a charcoal grill.... My pops wouldn't spring for a LP grill. And as I became a teenager I persuaded him to get a cheap one. We only used it a hand full of times. I then moved out and he went back to his lil weber kettle.

What convinced me to buy charcoal and not LP was he grilled sausage from home, brought it to my house and we reheated it. It tasted better then anything I could have done on my coffin size Coleman SS Grill. Can't wait!!

Can someone please confirm this for me please. I am pretty sure that I should NOT season a Performer. I think I read it here.

Also is there anything I should get to make this better and/or more convenient? I do plan on getting cast iron grates for this... I saw them on Amazon for like $90.

Amazon.com: Cast Iron Grate, Pre Seasoned, Non Stick Cooking Surface, Modular Fits 22.5" Grills: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IhNzBkTML.@@AMEPARAM@@51IhNzBkTML

Once again thanks for the help!!
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #28
caseydog

Good choice.

When it comes to BTUs, gassers can't touch a good charcoal grill. Set your Weber kettle up with hot and "cool" sides, and you can make an awesome steak. Use less charcoal and adjust your airflow down for chicken. Set up for indirect cooking, and you can smoke food in it.

You don't need to season the grill, but on your first cook, I would get the temperature up and let any funk from manufacturing burn off before putting meat on it.

I suggest you take your CI grates off the cooker after they cool, and store them inside. Mine rusted pretty easily if I left them outside with the grill. I hang all my grates on the wall in my garage, and that has worked well for me.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
landarc

I seasoned my kettle and I keep it a little seasoned, just wiping the inside from time to time and taking a brass brush to the lid interior and grates as needed. I have no problem with rust. I do not have cast iron grates, but, I keep a cast iron skillet in the kettle from late March through November with no rust issues.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

weber ranch.

a bit higher than the $850, but DAYUM that is alot of grill.

otherwise go with 26" weber. it can do ANYTHING.

woops...shoulda read the whole thread.

nice choice!

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal grill, gas grill, Grill, Weber