what other cookoffs are there?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
The company I work for started doing an annual chili cookoff three years ago. First year was excellent with a lot of participants, last year were fewer, and this year fewer still. Interest seems to be waning.

So they're talking about changing it up for next year and doing something other than chili. But honestly I can't think of anything else that lends itself to a cookoff format. Someone suggested wings, but a crock pot isn't the way to heat and serve those.

So.. anybody here ever do a non-chili cookoff?

Not really sure what the workplace leniency is for cooking while working, so it sounds like you are stuck with a slow-cooker. That being said, I am looking at extra things made at a BBQ comp. Sides, sauce, and dessert. You could have a couple people bring meat, then others go for best sauce. Best sides to go with BBQ. Best beans? I have done a "soup" cookoff, but there were different kinds and it was very divided depending on peoples preferences of soup. You would want to try and keep it the same food. Otherwise, just plan a potluck and have fun?

Another employee and myself had a rib off. We both cooked on mini uds's. Timing works out well with Ribs but I am sure the pool of participants would be even smaller if you went that way.

Ive seen soup contests and bake off's. it seems that they want the employee interation as long as it doesnt take time away from the work day.

We have a soup party/cook-off every year at our boat club. Not really a contest, but there's always an unofficial fan favorite.

I started a biscuits and gravy cook-off at my previous job. Different people brought it on different days, so hard to compare. Made before work, so it fit with the slow cooker requirements.

Back