Game Day Tri-Tip

cajunrph

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First try for a Tri-Tip (pun intended.) I picked up about a three lb Tri-Tip from HEB. I seasoned it with Montreal Steak Seasoning at about 10am this morning and put it back in the fridge. I pulled it out after 6 hours and dusted it with garlic powder and allowed it to get to room temp. I really intended to do a reverse sear on it but out of force of habit I set my BGE up for indirect cooking. For the sides my girlfriend prepared some bacon wrapped asparagus and bacon wrapped green beans.
IMG_20160117_144625_1.jpg

Sides included sweet and regular taters.
IMG_20160117_145145.jpg

Everything on the grill.

IMG_20160117_145417_1.jpg

I was shooting for a grill temp of 325*. For the most part I had that. I cooked the Tri-Tip till an IT of 125*, pulled everything and set the Egg up for direct grilling. I seared the Tri-Tip for two minutes each side.

Before the sear.

IMG_20160117_153922_1.jpg

After the sear.

IMG_20160117_154548.jpg

The Tri-Tip was done faster than I thought it would be done. After I finished the searing I set the Egg back up for indirect again and put the sides back on. This time I let the temp get up above 400*. I let the Tri-Tip rest while the sides cooked.

Finished sides.

IMG_20160117_161033.jpg

I had some challenges seeing the grain to slice the Tri-Tip correctly. Some I nailed, others were off slightly. Overall it was a good cook.

IMG_20160117_162422.jpg

It looked better in person. Thanks for looking.

Bacon wrapped green beans, nice. I got to try that sometime. Tri-tip looks good.

You nail that TT. I love tri-tips. I have cooked them low and slow with lots of rub. Cooked them at 300-325 with just a light dusting. I've grilled them with just SP&G on santa maria grills. You can season them many ways and cook many ways.

Why did you have to post the pics. I have had it on my mind all day.
Had a good lunch and still thinking about it.

Looks delicious, the perfect compliment of sides too! Tri-tip is quickly becoming my go to roast. I never really had it before I bought my Joe, it's not very popular behind the iron curtain in CT...but it should be! At my local Restaurant Depot, can pick up an 8 pack of tri tip for about $112 or so. Works out to $14 a roast which is a home-run.

That is a pretty good rate MizzoQ. I think when I buy them here from HEB, they are something like $12 - $14 each depending on the weight.

i love those green beans!

taste just like asparagus :clap2:

lol!!

I love tri-tip. So quick and easy. My kids love them too. Unfortunately, they don't last long as I can only find small ones here. I wish I could get my hands on some 3 pounders. The ones I can get are usually only about half that size.

Looks great. Nicely done!

Back