MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #136
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I light the top coals with the burner and wait 10-20 minutes.. They start burning downwards, like a minion method.

why would u want it to burn sideways? PBC/UDS still uses radiant heat.... I would want even heat coming from the basket.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #137
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I would also think that the uneven radiant heat would be even more apparent, the wider the drum, as in the 55 gal drum.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #138
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

My UDS will burn out in 2-3 hours if I light the middle. If I light one side, it burns across the basket. Only way it will work. ��

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #139
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i dont have a uds, so unsure.. but in the pbc, if only one side is lit, i dont think you would be able to use the unlit side, or if you do it will take longer to cook than the lit side.. its pretty significantly smaller than a 50 gallon drum.

your technique is similar to the one we used in the bandera with the firebasket.. we burned horizontally instead of vertically.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #140
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i dont have a uds, so unsure.. but in the pbc, if only one side is lit, i dont think you would be able to use the unlit side, or if you do it will take longer to cook than the lit side.. its pretty significantly smaller than a 50 gallon drum.

your technique is similar to the one we used in the bandera with the firebasket.. we burned horizontally instead of vertically.
My pbc experience matches this. An even burning fire seems to work best.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #141
landarc

For reasons unknown to me, I have been considering a second fire basket, that would be taller and narrower than the one I currently have. Maybe this is why.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #142
bradymartin
Banned

subscribed.

i am extremely close to ordering this cooker after much research. but i have to read through this thread first in case there are problems with the cooker.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #143
Ol'Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I use the hanging method in my WSM for ribs, roasts, and chicken, personally think it's the way to go, all come out with good color and very tasty. I would like a PBC but the weber with the rack works just like it I believe, also the cooks are faster than on the grates.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #144
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
subscribed.

i am extremely close to ordering this cooker after much research. but i have to read through this thread first in case there are problems with the cooker.
Pull the trigger and order the PBC! I purchased mine last spring and could not be happier. The only issue that some folks have had is rusting of the powder coat finish. Now that they have upgraded to a porcelain finish, you can't go wrong. Wish they offered that when I was in the market. Just my two cents but I think you will be very happy if you go with the PBC. Best of luck and happy cooking!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #145
bradymartin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Pull the trigger and order the PBC! I purchased mine last spring and could not be happier. The only issue that some folks have had is rusting of the powder coat finish. Now that they have upgraded to a porcelain finish, you can't go wrong. Wish they offered that when I was in the market. Just my two cents but I think you will be very happy if you go with the PBC. Best of luck and happy cooking!
if i wanted to cook just a chicken and a rack of ribs i assume i have to still use a full 8lbs of kingsford. so if after the meat is done i can snuff out the coals, and then reuse them for next cook, even though some might be partly used? or would i have to use unused kingsford for each cook?

im looking at this or a wsm
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #146
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
if i wanted to cook just a chicken and a rack of ribs i assume i have to still use a full 8lbs of kingsford. so if after the meat is done i can snuff out the coals, and then reuse them for next cook, even though some might be partly used? or would i have to use unused kingsford for each cook?

im looking at this or a wsm
I have had success snuffing out the coals by closing off the rebar holes with small magnets and the bottom vent with a piece of foil secured by a couple of magnets. Fire goes out pretty quickly, which is also helpful if you want to cover the PBC or store it without having to wait for all the coals to burn out. For my next cook I make sure I remove all of the ash and any really small coals before adding new ones.

Another tip is to line the bottom of the pit with a layer of HD foil before you add the basket. It really makes cleanup much easier and cleaner. Carefully remove the foil and dispose of the ashes. Otherwise you have to turn the unit over and dump it which gets kind of messy. Just make sure the foil does not block the bottom vent.

If you love great bbq but don't want to spend much time tending the fire, get the PBC. If you want to be more hands on and monitor your cook, you may want to go with the WSM. Be sure to let us know what you decide!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #147
Fwismoker

With regards to lighting a basket I use the side to side...lighting my partial burnt coals and chunks letting it burn through the new. The only way that really works is using what I call a holy diffuser, something that will even out the heat. Since pbc doesn't have a spot for a diffuser lighting in the middle makes the most sense to me.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #148
th3r00st3r
On the road to being a farker

Got my PBC today for Father's Day! I am upgrading from a modded ECB, although I might keep both depending on how things cook. I mostly do pork butts, but will try a brisket next week for the first time.
th3r00st3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #149
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3r00st3r View Post
Got my PBC today for Father's Day!
Congratulations brother. You will love it.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #150
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

You must be living right! Congrats!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PBC, pit barrel, pit barrel cooker