MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #31
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Never had it, but want to try. Watched Alistair Overeem eat some in an interview about a year ago. Who is Alistair Overeem? He will be a UFC heavyweight champion soon. He swears by horse meat.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #32
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

To quote Rodney,
"This steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it!"
Maybe it was dog food.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
BBRick
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We use to have butchers that carried it, but unfortunately it is no longer wide spread. (just like liver, veal kidney etc.) It is now used in processed meats here in The Netherlands.
My Mom used to make braised beef with onions (Hachee) from it, and it is the best meat for that. It is a bit on the sweet side.
I recall horse steak which is great. Just a bit lean, so a quick sear should do it.

Hmm.. I'm gonna find me a butcher that has some horse meat :-)
BBRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Went to Switzerland and while there we had an expensive meat fondue dinner that had all you could eat tiger shrimp, chicken, beef, turkey, and horse meat. I was not sure about eating something I grew up ridding. but we finished the plate. It was a leaner meat then beef, you knew it was not beef though. It would be ok if it had alot of spices.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, was in the Army, stationed in Hawaii, had a 30 day training excercise in Takeo, Japan. Ate it there, it was very lean and flavorful.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
goodscotch
Got Wood.

Probably but not knowingly. I worked in Saudi Arabia for a while and after going to a feed lot one day I saw everything but an elephant and a pig waiting to be butchered. I sure missed my bacon and sausage for breakfast.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never knowingly eaten horse meat, but I would definitely try it. I don't really see why people have a mental aversion to eating one kind of critter over another. If it tastes good, I'll eat it. There is absolutely nothing on earth nastier than a chicken, (except maybe a vulture,) but everybody eats those. I also think the "stringy" description of meat is mostly a mental or prepartation factor, other than a quality of the meat. Ever had an old, boiled chicken? Very stringy. That doesn't mean all chicken is. If you cut a piece of prime beef along the grain and boiled it, it would also be extremely stringy.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #38
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

My sister said she saw horse meat on the menu while stationed in Sicily, Italy.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote